Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

343bhp M4 coming

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-05, 10:31 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 343bhp M4 coming

Man... Can't imagine how much fun it'll be to have 343bhp is such a small coupe.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/61..._the_heat.html

M's the word as Z4 turns up the heat

The long-awaited BMW M4, due on sale here next summer priced at around £38,000, was caught track testing in Germany by our spy photographers.

The newcomer is clearly identified by its four exhaust pipes and bulging wheelarches, and is even more menacing than the Z4 concept BMW revealed at last month's Frankfurt Motor Show. The M4 will be powered by the 343bhp 3.2-litre straight-six engine found in the current M3, so expect a 0-60mph sprint time of less than five seconds and a 155mph top speed.

Thanks to its fixed roof, the standard Z4 Coupé will deliver a sharper, sportier driving experience than the Roadster on which it's based. Yet uprated suspension, a lower ride height and bigger brakes mean the M4 will be even more involv-ing. The new two-door will also be avail-able with BMW's sporty SMG paddleshift transmission as an optional extra.
Old 10-20-05, 10:44 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Its not the best styling, but I like it better than the Z3 M-coupe.

Performance will be pretty insane.
Old 10-20-05, 12:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes i think performance would be really insane, that's a lot of power on such a small car. and the z4 already handles very well
Old 10-20-05, 12:52 PM
LexFather

I like it just b/c its ugly and original, like the first M roadster.

Old 10-20-05, 12:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

The car looks too awful for it's performance to matter for me . . .
Old 10-20-05, 05:19 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it then again I like all BMW's
Old 11-14-05, 08:57 PM
LexFather

MUNICH, Germany -- BMW will not offer its automated manual transmission on its latest M-badged model, a tuned-up Z4 roadster.

The transmission also will be dropped from less-powerful Z4 models, on which it now is offered as an option.

When the face-lifted Z4 debuts at the Detroit auto show in January, BMW will offer a high-performance M version of the car for the first time, said a company spokesman. But unlike BMW's M3, M5 and M6, the Z4 M will not have an SMG automated manual transmission. The car will be offered only with a six-speed manual transmission.

SMG is BMW's German abbreviation for sequential manual transmission.

Old 11-14-05, 09:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

hmmmm...i read this earlier and thought it was quite interesting as we all know that manual tranny sales are very low and are not improving. But the shift to a fully manual transmission in this car was unexpected. Unless the SMG in the regular models were selling very very poorly, or they are phasing this tranny out and introducing an improved SMG unit. Or maybe just simple demand for a fully manual M4.
Old 11-14-05, 09:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by magneto112
hmmmm...i read this earlier and thought it was quite interesting as we all know that manual tranny sales are very low and are not improving. But the shift to a fully manual transmission in this car was unexpected. Unless the SMG in the regular models were selling very very poorly, or they are phasing this tranny out and introducing an improved SMG unit. Or maybe just simple demand for a fully manual M4.
I think it maybe that the Z4 had the 1st gen SMG unit which sucked hella monkey ***** and was squatted on by every review I read. The newer version, while no manual, are a lot better.

Old 11-14-05, 10:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no, you guys heard right
Car News briefs: SMG gearbox deleted from BMW Z4 lineup
AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
Posted Date: 11/14/05

MUNICH, Germany -- BMW will not offer its automated manual transmission on its latest M-badged model, a tuned-up Z4 roadster.

The transmission also will be dropped from less-powerful Z4 models, on which it now is offered as an option.

When the face-lifted Z4 debuts at the Detroit auto show in January, BMW will offer a high-performance M version of the car for the first time, said a company spokesman. But unlike BMW's M3, M5 and M6, the Z4 M will not have an SMG automated manual transmission. The car will be offered only with a six-speed manual transmission.

SMG is BMW's German abbreviation for sequential manual transmission.
from http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103585