Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

M3: How to tell a fake from the real

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 07:27 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M3: How to tell a fake from the real

The new ones are easy to spot.
The new M3s are all dual exhaust with outlets cut for them. The M badging on the fender is a key sign also.

The older ones are much harder to tell apart. I've been given countless measures on what is real and what isn't.
Dual exhaust
Black headlining
M wheels.
M aero (skirts, front and rear fascia, spoiler, mirrors)

Now for you BMW experts you tell me what the real and fake of this is.
I've been also told that the previous generation M3 was available in sedan form also.
Old 10-22-05, 08:18 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
The new M3s are all dual exhaust with outlets cut for them. The M badging on the fender is a key sign also.

The older ones are much harder to tell apart. I've been given countless measures on what is real and what isn't.
Dual exhaust
Black headlining
M wheels.

I've been also told that the previous generation M3 was available in sedan form also.
If you mean the E36, yes, it was. That's what people mean when they write M3/4.
Old 10-22-05, 08:28 AM
LexFather

Dual exhaust
Black headlining
M wheels.

A few love the E36 M3 b/c it did not stand out much, especially compared to the flared, bodykit, huge wing E30. So yes, bigger 17" M wheels, the sideskirts on the manual, you will notice, that it cuts back real early under the drivers door and goes down, compared to the auto M and regular 3 which was either not bodycolor or was split in the middle.

Madges of course and the side mirros had a wind whole in the middle.

They made coupe, sedan and convert. The sedan sold well here, it may make its way back with the E90. The reason they didn't make a E46 sedan M3 was b/c the extended wheel arches were hard and expensive to make on the sedan.

There is also a not so well known E35 M3 lightweight, the easy way to see this is the car has a huge color patch on the front hood and fender.

Old 10-22-05, 08:29 AM
LexFather

Bigger front air damn.

Old 10-22-05, 08:30 AM
LexFather

Auto M wheels. look at how the sideskirt tails to the back and breaks early. The regular 3 sideskirt was different.

Old 10-22-05, 08:33 AM
LexFather

Sedan

Rear bumper is diff.

This maybe a M3 conversion. Look at the difference in the SIDESKIRT

See I am not entirely sure why some skirts on M3s are diff. I think its b/'c they are an auto?

Old 10-22-05, 08:40 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

///M3's came as two packages. The ///M-technik and the LUX. The LUX has the smooth side skirts, the M-tek has the twist skirts.

Dual exhaust was not offered on any ///M E36

The side molding is substancially bigger on the ///M cars.

Overall there is no way to tell an ///M from a standard E36 until you pop the hood because everything is easily replaceable and the E36 328i is usually converted over to a slushbox ///M.
Old 10-22-05, 08:50 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
///M3's came as two packages. The ///M-technik and the LUX. The LUX has the smooth side skirts, the M-tek has the twist skirts.

Dual exhaust was not offered on any ///M E36

The side molding is substancially bigger on the ///M cars.

Overall there is no way to tell an ///M from a standard E36 until you pop the hood because everything is easily replaceable and the E36 328i is usually converted over to a slushbox ///M.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Does it annoy anyone else that people try to convert it to an M3 when we all know underneath the crappy aero job that it's just a regular 3? I know it's not my car I shouldn't care but I hate fakers (in any situation).
Old 10-22-05, 09:02 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up.
Does it annoy anyone else that people try to convert it to an M3 when we all know underneath the crappy aero job that it's just a regular 3? I know it's not my car I shouldn't care but I hate fakers (in any situation).
Why do they have to be labeled fakers? How about wanting a better, sporty look?
Old 10-22-05, 10:44 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Depends on what you want Koma. Most people generally agree the E36 is just plain ugly in stock form.

On most BMW boards it is agree'd that most people can't tell an E36 from an E36 ///M3 so as long as it isn't badged an ///M3 noone is faking anything. I think it is just the way you are looking at it.

Like Mike, unaware of the ///M3 LUX, however it doesn't look exactly like an ///M3 without the twist skirts. Most LUX were sold on the 328i, so we have millions of 328i's with LUX packages that look like ///M3's almost aside of a few details.

When it all comes down, it's about badging. Putting an ///M3 badge on your car makes you a poser. Putting a better looking set of skirts on your car makes you smart
Old 10-22-05, 11:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

How to tell the fake M3 from the real one?

Simple.....the engines fail in the real ones.
Old 10-22-05, 12:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow, didnt know about the LUX package and the technik package. So what is the difference between the two besides the skirts?? More luxury features in the LUX and more sport features in the technik package??

Off topic a little: My roomie has a E36 M3 with a few performance mods nothing spectacular(intake, exhaust, and some custom Rear Differential), but he was telling me that he ran 13.5- 13.3 through the 1/4 mile. I know his car is fast, but are they that quick?? If true, that is some damn good performance. I was always under the impression that they were low 14 sec car high 13's.
Old 10-22-05, 01:15 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

one thing that people dont notice much (and i agree they are able to be bought and put on non-M3 E36's) are the side mirrors...

the M3's got this dual bar with a hole in the middle type deal....
Old 10-22-05, 02:59 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How to tell the fake M3 from the real one?

Simple.....the engines fail in the real ones.

That's a good one...lmao
Old 10-22-05, 06:26 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I can.

I've been lurking around BMW message boards for about 10 years and could have majored in E36 when I was in college. j/k

1SICKLEX:
Yes. You are correct about the M3 Lightweight, which was only produced for the U.S. market for the 1995 model year. However, there were a few more limited edition variations made elsewhere in the world as well. The dark green M3 GT is a very good example.

The rain drop mirrors (as they were once referred to) did not come exclusively with the E36 M3s. For year 1994, a limited patch of Alpine White M Tech 325is were produced just prior to the release of the E36 M3 in the States. These 325s featured different interior seats, trims and used the M3 exterior bodywork (including sideskirt, front airdam, rear bumper/valence, door mouldings, and of course, the mirrors).

The E36 M3 sideskirts on the standard/sport model could be had for 323s and 328s produced in the late production runs (1998-1999). The more subtle sideskirts, as you've pointed out, came only with the E36 M3s featuring the Luxury package and 1996+ 3 series. Pre 1996 models had no sideskirts (rocker panels) on them.

OLT:
The bigger door mouldings found on the E36 M3s were also used on the E36 325 M Tech in 1994 and various late E36s featuring the M appearance package. The emblem on the mouldings found on these non M cars, was obviously something other than "M3".

Koma:
I have heard numerous complaints (including the worst ones from BMW owners) bashing on regular 3 series owners dressing up their cars as a M3. In my humble opinion, I believe people should have the freedom to do what they want to their regular 3 series, for which the U.S. version of E36 M3, if I may say, is not a real M3 marketed in Europe from 1993-1999 anyway. The U.S. version never came with the 3.0 (286hp) or 3.2 litre (321hp) motors that were found on the Euro M3/M3 Evolution.

If all else fails, remember there is one thing that can never be converted to E36 M3 spec. no matter how much money you spent. That would be the VIN number. All M3s have the VIN # starting with the letter S. Not so with other E36 3 series.

For your reference, I made a post on a BMW board two years ago pointing out various differences BMW's made to the E36 M3 throughout the years. I've copied and pasted what I wrote. Even though this information is not directly related to your questions, I hope this is of some help when it comes to identifying real M3s from the non real ones.

The URL is:
http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/showth...difference+M3s

********************************************************************************************************

Actually,

The bigger sidemarkers were used on BOTH 1995 and 1996 cars.

Only the 1995 M3s came with the analog air condition controlls.

Only the 1995 M3s had 235 tires all around.

Only the 1995 M3s came with Avus Blue color. It's still available in latter year M3s but you would have to special order one.

Only the 1995 M3s came with Daytona Purple color.

Only the 1995 M3s came with the silver Vanos unit. 1996 and latter cars had the vanos unit painted in black.

Only the 1995 M3s came with the OBDI, 3.0 liter engine. 1996 and latter cars had the OBDII, 3.2 liter engine.

Only the 1995 M3s came with plastic water pumps.

Only the 1995 M3s were available with a LWT version.

Only the 1995 M3s came with Dakar Yellow I. 1996 and latter cars had the Dakar Yellow II color. (I am not sure about the year cut off on this one).

Some 1995 M3s also had shiny exhaust tips. The difference between 1995 and 1996+ M3s' exhaust is NOT only in the tips. Their pipings are slightly different as well. That's why only 1995 M3 exhausts are the true bolt on exhausts for 325s.

The ten spoke wheels on 1995 cars look slightly different on 1996+ cars.

1996 M3s had a slightly revised front chrome grills (NOT the thicker ones on 1997+ ones, but the ones that has an extra chrome strip in it).

1996+ M3s had 225s up front and 245s in the rear.

1996+ M3s had a 20mm rear sway bar instead of 1995's 19mm one.

1996+ M3s came with Estroil Blue color instead of Avus Blue.

1996+ M3s came with Techno Violet color instead of Daytona Purple.

1997+ M3s came with Fren Green instead of Boston Green.

1997+ M3s had thick front chrome grills and smaller sidemarkers.

1997+ M3s had traction control as a standard equipment.

1997+ M3s had lighted foot rest area when the doors are open.

1997+ M3s had rear reading lights.

1998 M3s had side airbags and rear headrests.

1998.5 (Built after March, 1998) had the newer, three spoke steering wheel.

1998.5+ M3s had optional powered vader seats.

1998.5+ M3s had Titanium Silver instead of Artic Silver.

Only 1997 and 1998 did BMW make M3 sedans for the US market.

Only 1998-1999 did BMW make M3 convertibles for the US market.

Only 1995-1997 M3s were available with the Luxury Package, which features plushier powered leather seats, more subtle sideskirts, slatted front bumper instead of mesh grills, chrome interior door handles, leather padded door panels, wood trim, OBC, HK stereo, etc.

Only 1997 M3 sedans came with that unique, bronze color.

1995 M3s came with automatic transmission as an option. 1997 and 1998 M3 sedans had automatic transmission as an option. 1998-1999 M3 convertibles had automatic transmission as an option. The other M3s were not available with automatic transmission.

There were also some variations between the wings for different years of M3s. But I don't really remember what the differences were.

These are all the visual differences I can think of now. Hope this clarifies some confusions. Also, the differentials between the 1995 and 1996+ M3s are different but it's not really a visual difference.

Jon

*******************************************************************************************************

Jon

Quick Reply: M3: How to tell a fake from the real