Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Chevy Impala vs Dodge Charger
Impala please
2.94%
Charger for me
97.06%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Is it just me or does the Dodge Charger totally own the Chevy Impala?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 10:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd take marauder over either one
Old 10-23-05, 12:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHAHA,

21 - 0

The Impala is a POS.
Old 10-23-05, 12:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Impala is for the guy whose wife won't let him get the Charger.
Old 10-23-05, 12:49 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I'd take marauder over either one
Over a 425 hp Charger (srt-8)?

Old 10-23-05, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Don't short-change the Marauder. No, it didn't have the SRT8's tire-burning torque, but power isn't everything....and it was fast enough to get out of its own way. The Marauder was a classy-looking car...jet black paint with black-out everything outside, silver alloy wheels, silver auxilliary gauges mounted on the console, sport-steering wheel, etc... I liked it more than the rear-drive Impala SS. In many ways it was a Grand Marquis with a special looks and a police chassis.
Its only real weaknesses were the poor foul-weather traction that many RWD cars with hi-performance tires have and the typical Ford lousy hardware....also shared by the Charger and Magnum.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-23-05 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 05:52 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

The Marauder was a very sinister car. A "normal" Marauder runs low 14's which puts it along side a HemiC - pretty good! I have seen supercharged Marauders run 12's. I predict that these Marauders will become more sought after as time progresses. They were understately cool. I want one.
Old 10-23-05, 11:35 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Ah, the US fascination with 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Assuming we are comparing the Marauder to the SRT, the suspension and brakes of the SRT make the Marauder look like a real wannabe. The SRT is no bimmer but give it some credit. Both the standard Hemi and the SRT have a much better set of mechanicals underneath than the Marauder. The brakes on the normal Charger aren't that bad but the SRTs are very good. The Marauder might be competitive with the Impala SS but the Charger benefits from the DC tie in.

As for the Impala, at least it probably makes a better rental car than the old one. I would cancel my reservation rather than take one of them. But I suspect the Charger is a better choice if you want to put the gas in the Hemi. I think the non hemi Chargers will still be slightly ahead but a rental 300 is a lot different than a 300C, been there, done that. I suspect we will see a lot more rentaImpalas than we will see rentaChargers.
Old 10-24-05, 05:03 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

For sure the SRT is a better vehicle overall than a Marauder - no question. As far as the US fascination goes - well what do you think most people will be doing with these cars? Autocross? No, they will be cruising the streets during the week and having weekend fun at the strip - so the fascination is relavant. No one driving a 4200 lb car will be bragging about how he outbraked his buddy (although an SRT would allow him to outbrake most cars - very impressive) - but he'll certainly be chatting about how he wasted that Porche at the stoplight
Old 10-24-05, 08:02 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coffey454
For sure the SRT is a better vehicle overall than a Marauder - no question. As far as the US fascination goes - well what do you think most people will be doing with these cars? Autocross? No, they will be cruising the streets during the week and having weekend fun at the strip - so the fascination is relavant. No one driving a 4200 lb car will be bragging about how he outbraked his buddy (although an SRT would allow him to outbrake most cars - very impressive) - but he'll certainly be chatting about how he wasted that Porche at the stoplight
And how many people do you think have ever been on a drag strip? Or how many people can come close to getting a "reported" 0-60 time? Or how many people can tell the difference when driving a car between one that gets a 5.7 0-60 vs one that gets 6.2 0-60? But people are just fascinated with posting how inferior one car is to another because of 0-60 times, or 1/4 mile times, or advertised hp. I have nothing against the stats but more people should drive cars and buy what they like, no one yet has been able to drive a brochure anywhere. End of rant.

As for the comments on the Marauder - Charger chassis, I couldn't agree more. Using those last gen E class suspension components is really evident to me. About the biggest disappointments I have with the Charger are the interior and the fact that the exterior looks pretty odd in some colors. It may not be a great looking car, but I could live with it. Especially when you begin looking at the price of the imported hardware. A blacked out Crown Vic still had to contend with being a tarted up CV. Ford never thought they would sell many so they didn't spend a lot of time on it. At least DC seems to have a plan for Mopar and it doesn't involve making performance models by stuffing in some more hp, changing shocks, and bringing out the black.
Old 10-24-05, 12:13 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was behind a Dodge Intrepid the other day in traffic...

then I drove up closer and passed the car and realized it was a Charger....

what a cookie-cutter car... just like the above-mentioned Impala

What a decade we can live in, when the American manufacturers build absolute CRAP and try to polish their turds by placing a respectable engine in them. While nice for the novelty, its still an ugly car.
Old 10-24-05, 03:53 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bean
I was behind a Dodge Intrepid the other day in traffic...

then I drove up closer and passed the car and realized it was a Charger....

what a cookie-cutter car... just like the above-mentioned Impala...

Charger = cookie-cutter?

It doesn't look like anything else out there - not even another Dodge.
It's one of the most unique sedans available.
Old 10-24-05, 09:23 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

I'm really feeling the Charger...for the price and power, you cant really say no...fit and finish well i cant say because i honestly havent seen it up close to make a judgment. The modding potential for these cars though...

Old 10-24-05, 09:39 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Noone much cares to mention the new mustang because it's a 2-door, but all things considered, I would take it over both.
Old 10-25-05, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
I'm really feeling the Charger
fit and finish well i cant say because i honestly havent seen it up close to make a judgment.

Here....I've already pretty much done that for you. The Magnum and Charger are very close mechanically except for the Magnum's wagon body-style.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...e+magnum+r%2Ft
Old 10-25-05, 10:06 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Charger = cookie-cutter?

It doesn't look like anything else out there - not even another Dodge.
It's one of the most unique sedans available.
Look at the back of it... your basic charger has a V6 engine and cheap crappy factory rims and a wheelgap a mile wide...

back of it looks like a Dodge Intrepid and a Dodge Magnum...

car in above post looks nice... but too much domestic-rice

Quick Reply: Is it just me or does the Dodge Charger totally own the Chevy Impala?