Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Chevy Impala vs Dodge Charger
Impala please
2.94%
Charger for me
97.06%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Is it just me or does the Dodge Charger totally own the Chevy Impala?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 06:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
Noone much cares to mention the new mustang because it's a 2-door, but all things considered, I would take it over both.
I agree the Mustang has dynamite looks, but its interior hardware and trim ( especially in the base V6 version ) is even worse than the Magnum's....which is itself third-rate hardware inside.
The Mustang GT is a little better visually inside but the same junk just coated with a little more flash.

While there has been some improvement in a few of the latest domestic cars from Ford and GM, this cheapness and flimsiness of trim and hardware in domestically-designed vehicles just keeps going on and on, year after year, despite public statements to the contrary. IMO there really isn't much excuse for it. Hyundai has shown lately that high-quality vehicles can be produced for a good price. Detroit has had many, many years to learn from foreign-nameplate manufacturers how to do this, and basically still hasn't learned, though as I said we are seeing some improvements in the latest Ford peoducts and the cars that Bob Lutz at GM has helped design.
Old 10-26-05, 06:35 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a brand new '06 Impala as a company car while I'm in FL with State Farm. Yes, it's very recognizable as a rental car but one thing I noticed when I stepped in was the improvement on the interior, for a rental it was decently equipped and the fit/finish wasn't bad at all. Seems like State Farm is exclusively using Chevy as fleet vehicles so I've had a chance to drive the HHR, Cobalt, Malibu, etc. The interiors on these new American cars aren't outstanding but they ARE an improvement and a step in the right direction.
Old 10-26-05, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Technics
Seems like State Farm is exclusively using Chevy as fleet vehicles so I've had a chance to drive the HHR, Cobalt, Malibu, etc. The interiors on these new American cars aren't outstanding but they ARE an improvement and a step in the right direction.
Yes....I mentioned in my last post that Bob Lutz has been a good influence at GM in this area, but get inside a Honda or Toyota ( or, yes, a new Hyundai ) that sells for roughly the same price as these Chevies and you will still notice a difference....just a little less of a difference than inthe past.
Old 10-26-05, 06:42 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Like I said, it ain't outstanding but for a fleet vehicle it's not bad at all.

Would I cop one? Probably not.

Old 10-26-05, 06:45 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes....I mentioned in my last post that Bob Lutz has been a good influence at GM in this area, but get inside a Honda or Toyota ( or, yes, a new Hyundai ) that sells for roughly the same price as these Chevies and you will still notice a difference....just a little less of a difference than inthe past.

No doubt, State Farm also has a few Camry's as fleet vehicles but because they have so few I wasn't able to get one, the interior is definitely a step up though.
Old 10-26-05, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Cobalt is one of those Bob Lutz-influened cars.

Anyhow, not to get off-topic, but do you work for State Farm? It has a reputation for being a good company....though I am addicted to GEICO myself.
Old 10-26-05, 06:55 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Cobalt is one of those Bob Lutz-influened cars.

Anyhow, not to get off-topic, but do you work for State Farm? It has a reputation for being a good company....though I am addicted to GEICO myself.
Yeah, I work for SF, right now on a 90 day temp assignment ( used to be 60) in FL helping out with the Katrina, Rita and now Wilma victims.

My vehicle is insured with Geico too

SF is working on a new pricing structure to compete with companies like Geico in the Auto department. More teirs and rates to cater to different drivers.

Last edited by Technics; 10-26-05 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-27-05, 04:02 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
back of it looks like a Dodge Intrepid and a Dodge Magnum...
Don't want to argue, but this proves my point. How can the Chargers' rear look like BOTH
of these cars. The Intrepid and Magnum aren't even the same vehicle type. How can the rear of a wagon look just like the rear of a sedan? The taillights are not even remotely relatable.