Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW!! Taste of Lexus (the brakes and tires are still smoking)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 10:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

thanks for teh write up, sick. i try not to read it first, coz' event here won't happen for another 2 weeks. i want to reserve my judgement and my observations

just curious about one thing, why no 545 or 550??? no v8 from bmw?

i am gonig at 9am, so i am going to drive every single car for sure
Old 10-23-05, 10:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
thanks for teh write up, sick. i try not to read it first, coz' event here won't happen for another 2 weeks. i want to reserve my judgement and my observations

just curious about one thing, why no 545 or 550??? no v8 from bmw?

i am gonig at 9am, so i am going to drive every single car for sure
I wondered that too. I guess maybe the used dealer trade-ins as the competiton to cut costs? The food was less than before as well.

Or maybe they just are scared, since ithe 545 already had 325hp and the 550 has what 360hp? Imagine the line to drive that car

Old 10-23-05, 10:54 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, great reviews! now i am looking forward to the event despite what people have said about the lines . . .

btw, those are fantastic drawings with a mouse!
Old 10-23-05, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I wondered that too. I guess maybe the used dealer trade-ins as the competiton to cut costs? The food was less than before as well.

Or maybe they just are scared, since ithe 545 already had 325hp and the 550 has what 360hp? Imagine the line to drive that car
hahah seriously i can care less for the food myself i am there to drive cars

and yeah i am very surprised about the 5 series too, coz' there is actually no real comparisons for the e500 and gs430 then.

the 550 will probably kick serious butt on the mb and lexus, but still, lexus being objective is always what i love!
Old 10-24-05, 12:34 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

I like the moonroof settings better than the old one...have you try pushing the moonroof button, that makes the moonroof automatically open fully.
Old 10-24-05, 02:39 AM
swisslexusclub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Sick!

What a great summary! Especially the IS250 RWD write-up is highly appreciated as I see and read alot of the IS350 and not 250. As you probably know, Europe is not getting the 350 so we are mainly interested in the 250.

Thanks again!

- Markus
Old 10-24-05, 02:59 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Great review
Old 10-24-05, 05:13 AM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it hasn't be said before then I will say it: you rule! Thanks for the write-up, it made me grin!
Old 10-24-05, 05:50 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Fantastic review!
Old 10-24-05, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, Mike. As always, great job.
You've already desribed the IS250's handling......What did you think of its ride? The AWD version, if still in production, will be a serious contender for my next set of wheels...although that will be probably several years down the road. I was interested in the 2006 AWD at first but was very unimpressed with Lexus dropping the 55-series all-season tire option this year. This year we're stuck with the 45-series tires...I was wondering how they ride on the new car...I have not driven it myself yet. The last IS300's standard 45-series were a little stiff for my taste...one reason why I got the 55's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-24-05 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-24-05, 06:32 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

good write-up! i was there too on sunday afternoon. couple of things to consider though about the lexus event. the road course was really short. it took literally 10 maybe 12 seconds to finish the road course, before you had to slow down at the staging area. definitely not enough time to really get a feel of the cars.
i will add that i was also impressed with the 330i. i thought it felt the best on the "course"
and the is350 was definitely the fastest car there. in first gear anyway, because thats all the room you had and the course
food and antomosphere was good as usual. lexus does this the best.
Old 10-24-05, 08:03 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

man, thats a great thorough review. I really need to get some seat time with the new Lexus models. Incredible.
Old 10-24-05, 10:02 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome review!
Old 10-24-05, 10:03 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Great review Mike. I didn't know that you were that tall. You've never really made to many comments about fitting in various cars. I think you are a great observer for giving Sick reviews on different cars. Great job! Keep up the outstanding work.
Old 10-24-05, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
CONCLUSION

Now this is what tickeled me. We read all the time about cars being sporty or need to be sportier. We read cars need bigger wheels and tires or they suck. We read about cars going 8 min on the Nuurburgring. We read all of what is basically, CRAP to consumers.

Why?

Well I drive aggresive, always have. In teh SC/ IS/GS/RX/ES it doesn't matter. After driving this roadcourse, it is CLEAR the ONLY time you would drive a car like this and really see what its fully capable of is a CLOSED track. 99% of the time, you are maybe SPEEDING but its on the highway or a road. MOST of the time, your car is driving to work, around town, maybe a club, to wal-mart, to the bank etc.

Even on those that take backroads for fun, its rare to do it. Its FUN, yes, but how much of your time is spent driving these cars to its limits.

I swear that we are victims of the #$R_#$) magazines. They just look for more HP, what is faster, bigger, etc. Do car makers REALLY try to figure out the handling on the Nuurburgring, or are they just trying to BEAT one anothers time, with parts on those cars they don't sell to us.

That is why, the LExus is for me. If I want more sport, I know I CAN add aftermarket parts. But I KNOW, this car will be reliable, the dealer will take care of me and its comfy when I need it to be. The Lexus is the car I can live with. I know it will start EVERY time.

DID I MENTION THE 330 SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON!!!

Bah, maybe I am getting old. But to me, I can give up some of that sport and prestige for a car that is built to top specifications others can dream of.
Hmm... Loved your write-ups as usual but disagree with your conclusions here. While most never drive on tracks or find even close to the limits of their vehicles, having great handling is a joy even at low speeds and also contributes to safety (accident avoidance).

Sure if you drive in bumper to bumper traffic ALL THE TIME then there's little point in having Porsche-like handling. But even then, if you take a sharp turn at 5mph in an RX330 (because any faster and it feels tippy), 10mph in a GS300, and 20mph in a BMW 330, which is more fun? Seems like a small thing, but otherwise we should all just drive the most comfortable vehicle we can afford. How about lane changes on the highway or exit ramps? Sure we don't all weave aggressively all the time (and shouldn't) but passing or other lane changes are less nervewracking when the steering is precise and there isn't much body roll. The LS430 still drives like the "perfect Buick" - a wonderful car no doubt, but it couldn't be my only car - it's like a library with wheels (and high profile tires).

As you said, you drive aggressive, but which would you honestly prefer to have day to day - an ES330 or an IS350? If you say ES330 then you ARE getting old.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW!! Taste of Lexus (the brakes and tires are still smoking)...