Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

possibly leasing a G35x. your thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-05, 05:08 PM
twentyone
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default possibly leasing a G35x. your thoughts???

so my girl hit me with this idea: instead of buying a winter car, she would let me have her car (a 98 I30t) if i helped her lease a infiniti G35x (it'd be all in her name). i cool with the idea, so i'm doin some price shopping. literally just started two hours ago. i'm under the following assumptions:

-you can still negotiate the price for the leased car right? i think it's called the cap cost.

- cap cost reduction= the down payment on the car

-lease rate= interest rate

with only two infiniti dealerships in this area, we are prepared to price shop in chicago and drive down there to get the car and bring back, if the price is right. anyone with feedback/experience, your help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 10-25-05, 05:09 PM
twentyone
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, anyone know of an infiniti forum (like clublexus) where i may be able to find some people that recently leased?
Old 10-25-05, 05:19 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G35driver.com is your best bet... lots of G35 owners also at My350Z.com, and there is always FreshAlloy.com, but your milage may vary. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-25-05, 05:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

g35driver.com
Old 10-25-05, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you and her lease a G35X and are intending for it to be a winter car, read the wear-and-tear clause in the lease contract CAREFULLY and make sure that both you and the dealership understand it and agree on it. I say this because this is important...lease contracts define how big a scratch in the paint can be or how large a crack the windshield can be, how much wear can show in the upholstery, much tread has to be left on the tires, etc.....without paying a penalty on return. And speaking of tires, all-seasons will do better in the winter than summer-only dry-weather high-performance tires, and snow tires, of course, will do better yet. Also consider the no-penalty mileage limit in the contract...typically 10,000-15,000 miles a year.

If, in your area, they don't routinely dump sand, salt, gravel, and abrasives on the road during snow and ice storms, you'll probably be OK......the G35's body, glass, trim, and paint probably won't pick up much damage. But, if like here in my area, they do dump all this junk on the roads, you could be looking at scratches, rust, glass cracks, pits and chips in the paint and trim, and other body damage and deterioration. This could work against you when you return the car at the end of the lease contract (typically 2-4 years) and allow the dealership to charge you a penalty.

If you do drive it on treated roads, try to take routes where there is little traffic and other cars and trucks won't be throwing that s - -t up on your car with their tires....and wash and flush the car off underneath throughly when you get a chance or when the temperature is above freeezing.

Anyhow...congragulations on your choice....an excellent one, I might add. The G35's interior is not quite up to Lexus standards, but in general it is one of the finest sports sedans on the market...a car that can go head to head with the BMW 3-series but without the BMW unreliability and arrogant dealerships. I myself think that Subarus are the best snow cars for the money, but I can see and understand the reasons you and her might want a G35X, and won't try to talk you or her into a Subaru if it is not the best car for you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-25-05 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-25-05, 07:58 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice in vehicle, great performance,size and looks. The X option makes it very capable too. Personally I'd go for a used Bimmer 330x. All wheel drive, and if you go back a couple of years then I'm sure you can buy one for the cost of leasing the Nissan. I have to say that I'm not sure that I agree with the idea that they are more reliable than the BMW either. Compared to Lexus, yeah sure, BMW has not got a stellar record and yes, there are a few glitches sometimes, but man, when they are working right, which in my experience has been all the time so far, they really work right. The G35 really does not have enough history under it's belt to validate it as a more reliable vehicle yet. Drive them both just for fun and see which you prefer. Sorry for the unsolicited advice/ opinion, the G is a great choice either way.
Old 10-25-05, 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by twentyone
so my girl hit me with this idea: instead of buying a winter car, she would let me have her car (a 98 I30t) if i helped her lease a infiniti G35x (it'd be all in her name). i cool with the idea, so i'm doin some price shopping. literally just started two hours ago. i'm under the following assumptions:

-you can still negotiate the price for the leased car right? i think it's called the cap cost.

- cap cost reduction= the down payment on the car

-lease rate= interest rate

with only two infiniti dealerships in this area, we are prepared to price shop in chicago and drive down there to get the car and bring back, if the price is right. anyone with feedback/experience, your help is appreciated. thanks.
Leasing can be confusing (they use lots of words but it's not actually that complex). Be careful, the dealer will of course be all over you with 'help'.

Your name here 'twentyone' - would that be around your age? If so, WHY would you want to lease anything? It's just money right down the drain unless it's a business expense.

Anyway, good luck!
Old 10-26-05, 06:12 PM
LexFather

Check out Enterprise rent-a-car and see if they have one for you to test out for a day or two.