Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should I get an Escalade?
Yes
8.11%
No
40.54%
Hell no, put one between my eyes first
18.92%
Oh hell no, I'd rather ride a 3 legged, one eyed, ghey turtle
32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

2003 Escalade - Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 05:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

From a reliability standpoint, I wouldn't recommend either the Escalade or Navigator.........Consumer Reports rates them both below average in reliability. I have seen and driven both vehicles and am not impressed with the interior hardware quality in either one....though the Caddy's has maybe a little more glitter and flash.

My recommendation? If you want a big and off-road-capable SUV, get a Lexus LX470 or an older LX450. If you can do without the trick height-adjustable suspension in the Lexus, then get the Toyota Land Cruiser....the same vehicle with a slightly less plush interior and trim.

If you don't need the off-road capability, then look at a used Toyota Sequoia...a big car-based people-mover that has better ride and handlling than the truck-based SUV's.

If you don't need a vehicle that big but do need a wagon body style and all-weather capability, look at Subaru Outbacks (2003 or newer...avoid the older 4-cylinder ones).

If none of these options are acceptable, you still have more choices....either PM me or we can discuss them here on the thread.
Old 10-26-05, 05:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
.......The Navigator is very "lexus like". Instead of just throwing a different body on a chassis, like chevy did, Lincon double beefed the Navigator in almost every way. They took the stock Excursion frame and doubled it with a subframe, then boxed both frame and subframe. This is only one of the many beefed up improvements in the Navigator where Ford/Lincon has taken the steps to actually give you what you are paying for - unlike chevy.

:
No. This is incorrect. The Navigator was built off the same platform as the Ford F-150 / Expedition, not the longer and more heavy-duty Ford F-250 / 350 / Excursion one. There is no corresponding Lincoln version of the Excursion's platform....and probably will not be since the Excursion is now history.

( The Expedition and Excursion names are so similiar and confusing that I myself sometimes get them mixed up for a second or two until my morning coffee kicks in )

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-26-05 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-26-05, 05:48 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you like, I'd recommend the Lexus LX 470, it will likely be much more reliable, but finding one for that price I believe isn't easy. But I don't think the Escalade is a bad choice the seats are pretty comfortable for me.
Old 10-26-05, 05:52 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YAY, I love the Escalade, the looks and the interior and the comfortableness is awesome. I drove one the other day and really really fell in love with it.
The Navigator is just blah to me, this girl drives one near my house and she has these big wheels and I am like this truck does nothing for me but the escalade with a classy grille and wheel package is very very nice.
Old 10-26-05, 05:52 AM
Chigger
Pole Position

Not my cup of tea. Just too played out by these Thug-wannabes with the 20+ rims.
Old 10-26-05, 06:11 PM
LexFather

Poll Time!!!

Old 10-26-05, 06:47 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. This is incorrect. The Navigator was built off the same platform as the Ford F-150 / Expedition, not the longer and more heavy-duty Ford F-250 / 350 / Excursion one. There is no corresponding Lincoln version of the Excursion's platform....and probably will not be since the Excursion is now history.

( The Expedition and Excursion names are so similiar and confusing that I myself sometimes get them mixed up for a second or two until my morning coffee kicks in )
I may have mistyped the name, but the point is the same. Double frame/subframe design - not like the F series. Only perhaps a family resemblance.
Old 10-26-05, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I may have mistyped the name, but the point is the same. Double frame/subframe design - not like the F series. Only perhaps a family resemblance.
Yes...the 2 names are confusing. I've done that a couple of times myself. Ford could have done a little better job naming those two vehicles.
Old 10-27-05, 06:49 AM
Milla...

I suppose its all in what you want out of an SUV, size, power, off road, looks. I personally don't hate the Escalade I'm just sick of seeing them. Are you open to other options or did you just come across this one SUV and feel like being spontaneous? I don't know most people who buy American cars don't buy them for their fit'n finish or because they're the most reliable those people buy imports, so buy what you want to drive and screw everything else, if it breaks go get another one or try something else, have fun its not like your going to have the thing forever.
Old 10-27-05, 07:23 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Blech!!! No way! Much classier rides out there for that kind of money!
Old 10-27-05, 08:56 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Aviatior & LX/GX470 > Escalade
Old 10-27-05, 09:08 AM
saleem
Pole Position

LX470>Escalade, hands down, fit and finish, resale value cool factor EVERYTHING if you want to save yourself headaches dont do it .
Old 10-27-05, 09:09 AM
saleem
Pole Position

I'd rather ride a one eyed ghey turtle
Old 10-28-05, 12:15 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I disagree, I say go for it. Alot of people may have them but it is a nice looking SUV. Besides, I don't think OP cares if it is "played out." It is alot better than a Hummer. My only concern is how well do domestics hold their value? A LX470 might hold it better.
Old 10-28-05, 07:39 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

i say cop it , it still looks better than most SUVs imo or get a denali. my wife has an 04 slt and it handles pretty well for a truck, dont get a navigator i really like them but if guys think the escallade is over then how can you justifiy a navigator when i can catch one as a taxi anywhere in manhattan just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: 2003 Escalade - Yay or Nay