Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What should I get in place of my SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-05, 08:10 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I get in place of my SC300?

Well, I've been pondering about a 2JZGTE swap and I almost bought the motor, until I asked my parents if it was OK to do the swap. And do my dismay, they said no, and they told me to buy a newer car instead. So, my car is a 1992 SC300, 5spd, almost or just over 195k miles, KBB private party value is $5000. With my mods, I figure I could up it to 5200-5300 and maybe a little more given the rarity/demand? Should I sell my SC? If I were to sell it, I think I'd get a used G35 or an 04-05 WRX. I'm looking for something that has good aftermarket products and something with great stock power. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-25-05, 08:29 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Do you care about luxury or prestige or anything like that? If not, I'd also add the Lancer Evo to ur choices. Both that and the WRX have tons of aftermarket support.... with a few grand you can make a really quick car. The G35 and 350Z are good options too if u want power, although mods on those cars don't produce the same gains obviously that a turbo car would. Another cool car would be an E36 M3 if you can find one thats not too beaten up. Maintenance will be expensive, but it has a MEAN exhaust note and superb handling.
Old 10-25-05, 08:34 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

I like the STi because it comes stock w/turbo but I also like the G35, I drove my friend's G35 a couple of times and I'm hooked on it. His brother has an STi but I have yet to try it out. I'm not really into the EVO, they don't really appeal to me. And as for the E36, they're about the same price as an STi or G35 but have at least double the mileage and as you said, the maintenance is costly, so I'm not really looking for an M3 unless it is dirt cheap.
Old 10-25-05, 09:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Try looking at the toyota line of cars. There's a few sporty models in there, and we know what they are capable of with some mods
Old 10-25-05, 09:36 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Which cars are you referring to? I'm looking for something more powerful than the IS300. IS350 is out of the question, too expensive (I'm looking for a used car).
Old 10-25-05, 09:47 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I say keep it and do the swap! That way youll be happy!
Old 10-25-05, 09:58 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stage3
I say keep it and do the swap! That way youll be happy!
I wish I could do the swap, but in reality, with my luck, I'm pretty sure I'd get pulled over, even though I'm a safe driver, and living here in southern california, I know cops will want to look under the hood. But I'd also be happy with a newer car, and I'd probably only have to put in 10-12k worth of mods in a new car (coilovers, rims, turbo kit, and a bodykit). With the SC, it'd cost me at least 20k to get it to the finished product. ::sigh:: I'm so lost.
Old 10-26-05, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by indelible
I like the STi because it comes stock w/turbo but I also like the G35, I drove my friend's G35 a couple of times and I'm hooked on it. His brother has an STi but I have yet to try it out. I'm not really into the EVO, they don't really appeal to me. .
The G35 sedan, like the STI and Evo, is also available AWD in the G35X version...but it will have a slightly lower power-to-weight ratio than those two smaller cars. And AWD is not yet available in the G35 coupe...an oversight that Infiniti may soon address.
Old 10-26-05, 07:19 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by indelible
Well, I've been pondering about a 2JZGTE swap and I almost bought the motor, until I asked my parents if it was OK to do the swap. And do my dismay, they said no, and they told me to buy a newer car instead. So, my car is a 1992 SC300, 5spd, almost or just over 195k miles, KBB private party value is $5000. With my mods, I figure I could up it to 5200-5300 and maybe a little more given the rarity/demand? Should I sell my SC? If I were to sell it, I think I'd get a used G35 or an 04-05 WRX. I'm looking for something that has good aftermarket products and something with great stock power. Any suggestions? Thanks.
hahhahah parents!

Wait is this your car? or is this your PARENTS car? if its your car... how... can they say yes or no to what you do with YOUR money and YOUR car? unless of course it is THEIR money and THEIR car.

You should keep it and enjoy what I am going to assume now its your parents car. Until it is truly and youre truly have the money to mod it. They might of said no to 2jz-gte swap, and if youre under 18 I totally agree with them completely. But that doesnt mean you cant have fun with it. In all honestly most teenagers have no bussiness in being in an extremely powerful car to begin with. Go autox it.. go drive it. Can you really take full advantage of the sc300 full potential at stock? Those 200ish hp can be very fun expecially in a manual version in a autox or roadcourse events. And they didnt say no to suspension mods and bolt ons.. and most importantly turbo kits (when you can afford it and you are ready for it.)

I am so lucky that when I was growing up I had supportive enthusiast parents.
Old 10-26-05, 10:19 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

I'm 19 and they bought the car for me, so far I only have a bit less than 10k to my name, I'd probably use it as the down payment on the car and my parents may or may not pay the rest. I'm a full time college student and I work 20 hrs/week, making 750/month, so I'll probably need some help. As for mods, I really don't want to spend money on the SC if I'm going to get a newer car, I'd rather put the money into the new one. My motor has so many miles on it, I don't know how well it would handle a turbo.
Old 10-29-05, 05:41 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I drove my friend's '05 STi, 340whp, and I have to say that it was AMAZING. I found a 1998 4dr E36 M3 for 21k with 71k miles and a '00 M5 for 30k with 70k miles. I've looked up reviews and the reliability of the M5 isn't too great so I don't think that's what I want to go with. I'm still doing research on the M3, so far I haven't really found that many problems with it. So now I'm stuck between the M3, STi and G35.
Old 10-29-05, 06:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

have u considered an SC that already has a swap?
Old 10-29-05, 06:10 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Is there an SC w/the 2JZGTE swap for sale?
Old 10-29-05, 10:33 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm also considering selling my SC for something else. I actually went to the dealer today to check out the new WRX. What's the reliability and resale value like on an STI? Are there particular parts that tend to fail on that car?
Old 10-29-05, 11:08 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Well, there are no reports yet for reliability on the '06 WRX, as for the 02+, check out the forums at www.nasioc.com. I checked the KBB private party value for the '05 G35 and '05 STi, both at 12,000 miles and in excellent condition and the G35 had a higher resale value by about 3k if I remember correctly. At invoice and msrp, the G35 and the STi are basically the same price at base models.

Quick Reply: What should I get in place of my SC300?