Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota expected to unveil 2007 Tundra at Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 10:35 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Titan only comes with a V8 . . . Nissan needs to offer a V6 option. No wonder the Tundra kicks its butt in sales. The Tundra comes with a V6 and starts at $7000 less than the Titan.

Even though everyone likes to talk about monster V8's with monster torque, the bread and butter for all trucks in this segment is still the V6, and that goes for F-150, Silverado, Ram, Tundra, etc.

Wonder if the 4.0L V6 will carry over for the 2007 Tundra, or if it'll get an upgrade there too.
Old 11-09-05, 07:08 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

I've owned a black 1996 T-100 SR5 4WD and a black 2002 Tundra Limited TRD. Both trucks were awesome and I'd take them over any American full-size.

My T-100 had 250K miles and never lead fluids..still going strong for my daughter up in NH. Best clearance for off-road fun..managed NH trails like a champ. Only problem was rust starting at weld spots for bed to frame...taken care of easily at body shop. Not most powerful, but very very reliable.

My 2002 Tundra was just awesome. Power, LSD, Leather, in-dash CD changer, TRD Off-road managed New Hampsher snow like a champ. Best looking truck on the road. Sold it and got the GS4...fell in love with Lexus...what can I say. I'm saving for a Tundra or mods can't decide.
Old 11-09-05, 09:47 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
The Titan only comes with a V8 . . . Nissan needs to offer a V6 option. No wonder the Tundra kicks its butt in sales. The Tundra comes with a V6 and starts at $7000 less than the Titan.

Even though everyone likes to talk about monster V8's with monster torque, the bread and butter for all trucks in this segment is still the V6, and that goes for F-150, Silverado, Ram, Tundra, etc.

Wonder if the 4.0L V6 will carry over for the 2007 Tundra, or if it'll get an upgrade there too.
I'm guessing an upgrade as well, or maybe they will keep the 4.7L too as a lower level engine to the rumored 400+hp engine on the previous page.

But if this 5.5L 400hp engine is true, the only engine that would compete is GM's new 6.0L with 400hp. I'm sure Ford and Dodge will boost theres too in given time.

I'm sure they will do a more than great job on this new model.
Old 11-09-05, 10:44 AM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd never buy American again. My main gripe is that the value of american cars drop faster than a falling rock. Take a Focus and Corolla, Expedition and Sequioa, Ranger to Tacoma and do it to every model. The resale values after a few years don't come close. After 10 years, the american counterpart is practically worthless.

It's very nice to see Toyota offering that type of power on their trucks. I don't see Toyota, Nissan or any japanese brand dominating the American full size truck world anytime soon. Even if they make the clear cut best truck on the market, bar none, I can't see it translating into more sales than the big 3. Some of the Ford/Chevy/GMC loyalist would rather die before buying Japanese. I worked with a lot of them and still do. We talk a lot about cars and that's how it is.
Old 11-09-05, 11:57 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GStateOM
Some of the Ford/Chevy/GMC loyalist would rather die before buying Japanese. I worked with a lot of them and still do. We talk a lot about cars and that's how it is.
I guess we'll be seeing a lot of dead people.
Old 11-09-05, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GStateOM

Some of the Ford/Chevy/GMC loyalist would rather die before buying Japanese.
This is true. The full-size American truck market, without question, is one of the most die-hard on the planet....and one of the most difficult to break into. The short-sightedness of Toyota marketers, twice in a row, (T-100 / 150 and Tundra) of offering mid-size trucks disguised as full-sizers did not help things either...the public wasn't fooled. The Tundra, fortunately, DID have a V8 option, but Nissan did it right and introduced a TRUE full-size truck to start with. ( now all Nissan has to do is get that awful Canton, MS plant in order )
Old 11-09-05, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Experience in the American truck market shows this is generally not the case. Buyers of full-size American trucks are generally not concerned with fuel economy.....even V6's in these heavy, short-geared, aerodynamically inefficient vehicles suck a lot of gas. Buyers of these vehicles generally want power....not necessarily for speed or acceleration, but to carry things and for towing. The rather low sales of the Chevy Silverado Hybrid confirm this, even though this truck is not a true hybrid but just has a simple electrically-operated engine-stop function.
Old 11-09-05, 06:57 PM
LexFather

400hp! Damn, I guessed that, but the wrong engine
That means the Lexus version will probably have MORE power and technology. Let alone with the hyrbid comes.

Damn

Old 11-09-05, 08:16 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Experience in the American truck market shows this is generally not the case. Buyers of full-size American trucks are generally not concerned with fuel economy.....even V6's in these heavy, short-geared, aerodynamically inefficient vehicles suck a lot of gas. Buyers of these vehicles generally want power....not necessarily for speed or acceleration, but to carry things and for towing. The rather low sales of the Chevy Silverado Hybrid confirm this, even though this truck is not a true hybrid but just has a simple electrically-operated engine-stop function.
The main point of the V6 engine is lower price, not fuel economcy. The Titan would sell much better if it had a volume V6 version starting in the teens like the Tundra, F-150, Silverado and Ram, rather than a V8 only version starting in the mid-20's.
Old 11-11-05, 07:02 AM
LexFather

The main point of the V6 engine is lower price, not fuel economcy. The Titan would sell much better if it had a volume V6 version starting in the teens like the Tundra, F-150, Silverado and Ram, rather than a V8 only version starting in the mid-20's.
Isn't the Titan already cheaper than the Americans? And its fared well in comparisons, so the press has been good for it.

Old 11-11-05, 07:22 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Isn't the Titan already cheaper than the Americans? And its fared well in comparisons, so the press has been good for it.
Tundra: $16,735
F-150: $18,710
Silverado: $19,165
Ram: $21,800
Titan: $23,955