Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota expected to unveil 2007 Tundra at Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 07:18 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota expected to unveil 2007 Tundra at Detroit (UPDATE!!)

Toyota to Unveil All-New 2007 Tundra in Detroit
Date Posted 10-25-2005

DETROIT — Toyota expects to formally pull the wraps off its redesigned 2007 Tundra pickup in early January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The full-size truck gets a ground-up overhaul and goes into production in early 2006 at an all-new assembly plant in San Antonio, Texas.

The 2007 Tundra will get a more contemporary styling treatment, with cues lifted from Toyota's 2004 FTX concept truck. There's a new double-cab model coming as well, but probably not until calendar 2007.

Toyota reportedly is readying an all-new twin-cam V8 engine for the new truck, displacing around 5.5 liters and producing more than 300 horsepower. It is also expected to offer a hybrid gas-electric variant for model-year 2008.

A full range of body styles, bed choices and powertrain configurations will make the new Tundra one of the most powerful Japanese-brand competitors yet for Detroit's big pickups.

What this means to you: Choices, choices and more choices — that's Toyota's focus in the full-size truck market with its redesigned '07 Tundra.

Last edited by magneto112; 11-08-05 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-26-05, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
Toyota to Unveil All-New 2007 Tundra in Detroit
Date Posted 10-25-2005

DETROIT — Toyota expects to formally pull the wraps off its redesigned 2007 Tundra pickup in early January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. .
The hell with Detroit. Why should we have to wait?
Flip?........Amethy? You got any advance pictures?
Unless the mods object for legal or any other reasons, I will certainly post any I run across.

I hope Toyota gets it right this time. They need to do a true FULL size truck this time....like Nissan's Titan. The T-100 / 150 of the mid-1990s was a mid-sized truck with a V6 falsely marketed as a full-sized truck....and neither us nor the public was fooled. The later Tundra was also a mid-sized truck falsely marketed as a full-size one, but at least it had a full-size V8 engine option. Nissan did it right...the Titan was a true full-sizer from the start...the only thing it was missing was a 7'-8' bed option ( and a little quality control ).

( Incindentally........the new Tacoma actually went the other way. The new Tacoma is still marketed as a compact truck, but has grown and is actually a mid-sizer now in dimensions, so in effect, with the new, larger Tacoma and the present Tundra, Toyota sells TWO mid-sized trucks ).

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-26-05 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-26-05, 08:28 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I agree... it'll be interesting to see how "Full Size" this new Tundra actually is. I personally like the current Tundra... but that's just because I have no desire for a Full Size truck. If Toyota's going to capture the Full Size market then they definitely gonna have to produce a true Full Size like all of their competitors.
Old 10-26-05, 10:49 AM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I hear the next Tundra will be FULL sized. No messing around, bigger than the rest (which might not be a good thing IMO, the rest are already pretty big). I also heard it will have class leading power from its V8, so that probably means 340+ HP. I hope you don't need to get the hybrid to get class leading power in the truck, that would be .

We all know the Tundra has to grow, look how big the current Tacoma is. It is 95% the same size as the Tundra, the DC long bed is even longer than the Tundra.

I hope this means that they can throw a V8 in the Tacoma. With the larger Tundra a V8 tacoma wouldn't be stepping on the Tundras shoes.

I also hope to see some spy pics before Detroit, but Toyota seems pretty good about keeping this stuff under wraps.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107016 <-- I'm assuming most of you have seen these.
Old 10-26-05, 11:53 AM
Bercasio
Pole Position

It will be a beast of a truck that's for sure, and will most likely go beyond the reliability and quality of the succesor Ford F150. So to GM, Ford, and Daimler Chrysler......."MOOOOOOVE OVER IT'S TIME TO MAKE SOME ROOM!
Old 10-26-05, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Unlike Nissan, part of the Toyota truck problem in the past, I think ( although it is hard to read minds ) is that the main Toyota leadership in Japan simply did not understand the U.S. truck market. It was hard for them to conceive of a society of literally millions of F-150 and Silverado-sized trucks running around carrying and towing heavy loads and getting 10 MPG or so....such excess would be simply unthinkable, for many reasons, in Japan. It was said the company leaders had to have a crowbar pried under them to even approve the Tundra's 4.7L V8. Nissan, in comparison ( perhaps due to Carlos Ghosn's leadership ) was far more open minded in the American truck market, although Ghosn made some mistakes, too...especially with Nissan's cost-cutting on the interiors. ( which, to his credit, he has acknowledged )
Old 10-26-05, 01:34 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

The new Tundra will be fantastic. It will be big, it will be powerful and it will be the best truck ever built. They are not fooling around this time for sure. Toyota has always built the most durable trucks, they just missed the market by size - they were building 'M' for a land that demands 'XXXL'.
Old 10-26-05, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coffey454
Toyota has always built the most durable trucks, .
Yes and No.

They have always been durable mechanically, but the 1980's vintage Toyota trucks were notorious for rusting out around a line just at the base of the beds...where the beds were welded on. This was caused by the fact that in order to get round the import truck quotas during the 1980's, Toyota shipped completed cabs, powertrains, and chassis from Japan and had the beds welded on at a West Coast facility........with poor-quality welds. The rust started from the inside-out...there was nothing you could do to stop it short of a frame-off restoration. Eventually ( depending on a number of factors) it could eat up the whole back end of the truck (sometimes while the drivetrain was still good) . You older CL members, I'm sure, will remember this.
Fortunately, this problem was solved by 1990 and has not re-occured since.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-26-05 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-26-05, 04:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

we shall see how good it is... Tacoma is really good, cant expect anything less from Tundra.

Also, I dont think Toyota missed anything with their trucks - it just takes a while for anyone to penetrate the market. Just check how Titan is still trailing old, old Tundra by some 40% less sales per month. Thats despite crazily good reviews it got at start.

Between Tundra and Tacoma, Toyota sells 250,000 trucks in the US... While that is still not approaching F150 territory, plants are running at top capacity (even the new ones!). Even with new plant for Tundra, Toyota will simply NOT have capacity to build more than 400,000 trucks for US market.

In traditional car segments, it is very hard to simply skip few steps and become king of the sales. F150 is good example of this, and Camry is even better - old Camry will have its biggest sales year this year - on track to sell more than 500,000 Camry's!
Old 10-26-05, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Also, I dont think Toyota missed anything with their trucks - it just takes a while for anyone to penetrate the market. Just check how Titan is still trailing old, old Tundra by some 40% less sales per month. Thats despite crazily good reviews it got at start.

!
No arguments there.....the American full-size pickup market, without question, is one of the most difficult on the planet to break into. F-150s, Silverados / Sierras, and in the last several years, Dodge Rams are owned by a fanatically loyal and stubborn base that includes not only the traditional cowboys, farmers, ranchers, off-roaders, and construction people, but also
a newer group that just wants a vehicle that sits high up or " digs " the truck look and feel.

Toyota has made some inroads into this market but is handicapped by the fact that it still has not gotten the formula for a full-size truck correct. As noted, though, that could (and hopefully will) change with the new Tundra.
Old 10-26-05, 07:22 PM
LexFather

Today, I'd get a F-150 or Ram before the TUndra.

Old 10-27-05, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Flip?........Amethy? You got any advance pictures?
Unless the mods object for legal or any other reasons, I will certainly post any I run across.
As promised....here you go. It was the best I could find so far.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=107016#4
Old 10-27-05, 12:22 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No arguments there.....the American full-size pickup market, without question, is one of the most difficult on the planet to break into. F-150s, Silverados / Sierras, and in the last several years, Dodge Rams are owned by a fanatically loyal and stubborn base that includes not only the traditional cowboys, farmers, ranchers, off-roaders, and construction people, but also
a newer group that just wants a vehicle that sits high up or " digs " the truck look and feel.

Toyota has made some inroads into this market but is handicapped by the fact that it still has not gotten the formula for a full-size truck correct. As noted, though, that could (and hopefully will) change with the new Tundra.
I think one part of the formula Toyota doesn't really get is the aftermarket. Truck owners spend way more on aftermarket parts than most other groups. Modifying your truck is almost the obligatory second step after taking ownership. I think aftermarket support is even more important in the southern states, in particular the south west. I know people that won't buy a Toyota Tundra because it doesn't have the aftermarket support they want.

Nissan again understands this better than Toyota. Nissan will offer detailed specs, drawings, cad files, etc to aftermarket companies to help them develop high quality aftermarket parts more quickly (and without having to buy a Titan). If you want to work on a Toyota you need to buy the vehicle you want to make a part for or borrow it form an owner. Toyota has this program with Scion; I think they should bring it out for the Tundra and Tacoma.

As an example there was a 7" lift kit out for the Titan within months of its introduction. It took 4 years to get a 6" lift for the Tundra.

I understand that the domestics will always have better aftermarket support by the simple fact that they sell TONS more trucks than the Japanese. But IMO Toyota isn't helping the aftermarket any. Nissan seems to have gotten the ball rolling.

I think another problem was aftermarket companies were burned by the T100. I'm sure a lot of them rushed products to market only to see that the T100 was a flop. I'm sure they wanted to see how the Tundra would fare before investing in R&D.

But the bottom line is that Toyota should help the aftermarket out, like Nissan, because aftermarket support and trucks go hand in hand. Hopefully they will get this soon.
Old 10-27-05, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AgentWD-40
I think one part of the formula Toyota doesn't really get is the aftermarket. Truck owners spend way more on aftermarket parts than most other groups. Modifying your truck is almost the obligatory second step after taking ownership. I think aftermarket support is even more important in the southern states, in particular the south west. I know people that won't buy a Toyota Tundra because it doesn't have the aftermarket support they want.

Not all truck modification is done for the same reasons, though. Some modificatons and additions are done for work purposes, like power-operated winches, towing gear, snow plows, auxiliary lights and foglights, etc..... and other types of modification are purely cosmetic....things like custom paint jobs, body stripes, mouse-fur upholstery, carpeting, custom tarp covers for the bed, custom wheels, etc....

I could not even begin to list all the possibilities and aftermarket gear.......there are literally whole catalogs full of this kind of stuff that are easily several hundered pages thick.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-27-05 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 07:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default New Info!!!!

NEW RUMORS!!

Here is whats circulating now about the new Tundra.

Originally Posted by nmehes
Towing capacity of the new beast will be 10,000lbs....and closer to 400hp than 300hp for sure.

Originally Posted by toyotafanfan
I can confirm the new truck will have 400hp and 10000lbs towing capacity. I've seen the truck. Toyota announced it to its Canadian dealers in September of this year. Hold on to you hats Big 3. Your truck money train will soon be hijacked by Toyota.

Originally Posted by toyotafanfan
I saw it from the front and side. The front end looked very similar to the concept photo. Gives the truck a much more agressive stance. The side was not "bubbled" like the concept photo appears. The rear door handle was mounted on its side (as nissan likes to do). Hopefully, that will be changed. My impression was that the truck was distinctive looking, but not unfamiliar, it's a truck that looks like its built to work. When 400hp and 10000lbs towing capacity was shown on the presentation screen beside the truck, the place erupted.

Quick Reply: Toyota expected to unveil 2007 Tundra at Detroit