Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comparison Test: Camry, Accord, Sonata, Fusion (Dec. '05 C&D)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 12:04 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Uhh what planet are YOU on? The materials in the accord are NO better than the camry of identical packaging. PERIOD. You're wrong... you probably sat in an old camry or sat in a base model camry... this is a full blown luxury edition with leather and everything. I've been in both... quite a few times. My sister's husband owns a fully loaded V6 Accord (navigation too). While its very nice on the inside, its no better than his mother's 05 Camry.
Besides that... read the article. It even says (verbatim): "...a class above the others" when speaking of the interior.

The accord couldnt even begin to touch the ES330. ROFL You are a serious troll.... go away please kid. Go back to hondafanboys.com
Although I agree with what you're saying...

How you present your argument and your points is really starting to get irritating.

This is not the first time that you've openly mocked or "come at" another member on this board. Many times, you've shut down what others have thought with your own ideas. Whether those ideas were right or wrong is not the point. The point is, is that you have no respect for others' opinions.

I see that you have a lot of posts and I'm going to guess that you've been a member of this board for a long time. By now, you should know how everyone is treated here. Respect everyone's decision whether you agree or not.
Old 10-27-05, 12:12 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
First of all, I've never insulted your, or anybody else on this board, so I would appreciate if you do the same. If I was a "troll" or a "kid" from hondafanboys.com I don't think I'd be driving a GS430.

And yeah, I've sat in a full blow luxury camry, and guess what, it sucked. Like I said, the dash construction was cheap, door panels looked cheap, wood looked fake, and everything was flimsy. If anything, it's interior quality is comparable to that of Civic, but nowhere near the accord. And accord's interior is comparable to the ES300 as far as quality of most materials and the built quality, but it lacks the gorgeous wood grain of ES300, and of course the leather seats are not even in the same class.
I'm going to commend you for how you took his ramble against you.

But again, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

I think Camry's interior fit and finish along with quality is actually very nice. From the luxury models that I've seen, Camry's quality is top-notch. I won't say that the Accord is better. But I think they're at level with eachother. But power-wise, the Camry lacks the Accord's spunk. I think the Sonata is right along with these two also.

Originally Posted by Och
The why do people buy 4 door cars such as GS430, TL, Q45, E55, S600? To each it's own you see - some drive minvan, some drive sport sedans. I have a family, and neither me nor my wife would want a camry, it's too plush and boring.
You have to remember that he said, "general families". Most families in the US cannot afford to buy a GS430, TL, Q45, E55, or S600. When looking for a quality family sedan with an affordable price, the Camry, Accord, Sonata, and now the Fusion are likely options.

And most families do not look for cars with power. They look for quality of the ride, the quality of the vehicle both on the interior and exterior, and the safety of the vehicle.

I agree with the other members when they say that C&D is a bit biased towards the Accord. Same with BMW.
Old 10-27-05, 12:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The why do people buy 4 door cars such as GS430, TL, Q45, E55, S600?
Because people buy what suits their needs and what is within their budget. People have choices and people buy what they want accordingly.

To each it's own you see - some drive minvan, some drive sport sedans. I have a family, and neither me nor my wife would want a camry, it's too plush and boring.
True to each his own. Sure you may have a family and all, but just because you don't want a Camry doesn't mean your neighbor or your friends with a family or not is going to agree with your preferences. Your decision doesn't dictate the consumer market as a whole. Your preferences or your opinions are solely to you and yours. They dont' represent others.
Old 10-27-05, 01:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Allright, you guys, next time you drive a Camry, soo how flimsy the arm rest and glove departments are. Maybe it's not so important to everyone else, but it sure irritated the hell out of me. But everything else in the camry is comparable to accord, the leather seats are equal quality, although uninspiring, and the wood grain is too fake looking.
Old 10-27-05, 01:55 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
You have to remember that he said, "general families". Most families in the US cannot afford to buy a GS430, TL, Q45, E55, or S600. When looking for a quality family sedan with an affordable price, the Camry, Accord, Sonata, and now the Fusion are likely options.

And most families do not look for cars with power. They look for quality of the ride, the quality of the vehicle both on the interior and exterior, and the safety of the vehicle.

I agree with the other members when they say that C&D is a bit biased towards the Accord. Same with BMW.
Don't forget to mention fuel economy!
Personally the styling out of the 3 I like the Camry's best. Interior of the SE is the only one I've seen and I like that interior. Many luxo options my SC400 doesn't have. Full auto moonroof. I WANT THAT! I can't really put my two cents into this as I've never stepped close enough to the ugly Accord to give it any thought.
Old 10-27-05, 09:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Och
Allright, you guys, next time you drive a Camry, soo how flimsy the arm rest and glove departments are. Maybe it's not so important to everyone else, but it sure irritated the hell out of me. But everything else in the camry is comparable to accord, the leather seats are equal quality, although uninspiring, and the wood grain is too fake looking.
Again,you're entitled to your opinion and if you feel that's way. That's perfectly fine. But you're still trying to convince the world your opinion is the only one out there and it's not judging by the responses you've gotten from people here. I've driven all Generations of the Camry starting from the Gen1 all the way up to the current Gen 5.5 and have been a founding member of one of the first large Camry owners organization here in SoCal a few years ago. They are constant improvements each generation...as it is a part of Toyota' continuous improvement philosophy...KAIZEN! The Camry is a great car...and there's a reason why it's been a #1 seller in America consecutively for many years now. If it wasn't so great, it would be trailing behind in 2nd like the Accord.
Old 10-28-05, 06:57 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Both the Camry and Accord are nice cars, but they both have a lot of rattle problems. Dunno what's up with that. Accord interior design is definitely tops in this class though.

I read that taking out fleet sales to rental car companies, the Accord and Camry are pretty much tied in retail sales.

I've rented quite a few Camrys on business trips, never an Accord. Rarely even seen one on rental lots in fact. One of the reasons why the Accord has better resale than the Camry.
Old 10-28-05, 09:16 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Additionally, the Camry has both the Solora coupe and Solora convertible sales being added to the total. The Accord is just the sedan and the coupe. Having one extra body style can make a big difference. Infact, the whole reason why Toyota calls the Solora the Camry-Solora was mainly just so the sales of Solora's could be added to those of the Camry sedan so that the camry could retain #1 seller position. Minus fleet/rental car sales and Solora sales, the Accord sedan does outsell the Camry sedan.
Old 10-28-05, 09:50 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
Both the Camry and Accord are nice cars, but they both have a lot of rattle problems. Dunno what's up with that. Accord interior design is definitely tops in this class though.

I read that taking out fleet sales to rental car companies, the Accord and Camry are pretty much tied in retail sales.

I've rented quite a few Camrys on business trips, never an Accord. Rarely even seen one on rental lots in fact. One of the reasons why the Accord has better resale than the Camry.
What's with all these mysterious Camry problems I keep hearing about ?

And Accord having lots of rattle problems

Rattle problems, "horrible fit and finish", bad materials ... I just don't get it.

I heard a rumour that up here in Canada we get Japanese-made Camrys, but I'm pretty sure Toyota doesn't make V6 Camrys in Japan.

A relative of mine owns a 2004 LE V6 Camry, and I've been in it several times. I've never noticed any sort of rattle problems, or "horrible fit and finish".

The first time I was in it, I in fact thoroughly examined the car, and while the interior design in quite plain, the fit and finish was up to usual Toyota standards, everything was tightly put together, and the car was smooth and silent. The doors felt pretty solid to me too.

I've been in several Accord coupes and sedans, and have yet to notice any rattle problems at all.
Old 10-28-05, 09:53 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I heard a rumour that up here in Canada we get Japanese-made Camrys, but I'm pretty sure Toyota doesn't make V6 Camrys in Japan.
We here in the States get a mix of both Japanese 4cyl and V6 Camrys. The bulk of the allocation comes from Georgetown obviously.
Old 10-28-05, 09:54 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
I don't understand why the Accord, with "muscular handling, quick transmission reflexes, and serious acceleration", would rank 1st and Camry, with "impeccable interior details, plush-carpet ride, and best back seat of the bunch " would rank 4th. Potential customers for "mid-size 4-door sedans" are the general families, not motorsport enthusiasts. They're so used to judging cars by their acceleration and performance that they don't know what's important anymore. I don't think a family of 4 would sacrifice rear seats for neck-snapping acceleration.
Its hard for gearheads to view cars as appliances.. Some of us like retaining at least a little bit of excitement.
Old 10-28-05, 02:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised the Camry came in last of the group, but I'm not surprised the Accord came out on top. Everyone says the Accord is ugly but that is just an opinion and personally I think the style is on par with the Camry. I mean, it's not like the Camry is a good looking car either. I was only able to put about 600-700 miles on a brand new 05 Camry LE that I got as a rental. When I rented the car it has less than 400 miles on it so I probably was the second party to rent it. I drove that car from Las Vegas to LA and all around the LA area. I would say after spending a week in that car in LA traffic and at higher speeds going to Vegas I probably would not buy one. The Accord in my Cousins house that we stayed at was IMHO a better car. Just by feel the Accord interior does feel better built and subjectively feels like it has a better quality interior. I say subjectivbely since we can't take the plastic and materials to the lab to analize them right? Anyway, the Accord also has much more power so it doesn't feel like its stuggling to keep up with traffic (I'm just camring the 4 cylinder models here as that is what I drove). I don't think the Camry is a bad car though. I'm just not surprised the Accord was ranked higher.
Old 10-30-05, 01:40 PM
LexFather

Well the Camry is last in the product Cycle and will be revamped soon. I am not surprised by the finish as they never like the Camry b/c its not sporty, yet this is a damn FAMILY CAR TEST.
The Accord Interior is wonderful.
Hyundai has a nice price advanrage.
The Fusion looks like a new Jetta with a G35 front end and IS 300 tails, no thanks.

These are all just mainstream cars, nothing to get all riled up about.

Old 10-30-05, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I have looked at the Fusion but have not been able to test-drive one yet, so I cannot fully comment on it. (That car is on my review list ).

I'll throw in the rest of my $.02 to help settle the Camry-Accord-Sonata debate, though, and it is very simple.

Camry = best refinement, smoothest ride, best noise isolation, roomiest inside.

Accord = best chassis, best fit-and-finish, best powertrain engineering.

Sonata = best value, best warranty, most improved over previous model.

It's hard to rate these 3 quality-wise because all three are quite well-built. The Accord, IMO, has the most solid-feeling interior, but the new Sonata is close. The Camry is easily the most refined but the hardware and trim doesn't feel quite as solid as the other two.

I plan to test-drive the Fusion and perhaps one of its more expensive cousins, Milan and Zephyr soon as more become available ( all I have been able to do is look at a few them and sit in them ) but my visual inspection, in true Detroit form, showed paint jobs inferior to the 3 Asian-designed cars ( too much orange-peel ) and interior appointments, trim, hardware, and switchgear of inferior-grade plastic, though with the currently trendy chrome rings around the gauges. The Lincoln Zephyr, not surprigingly, looks.....but doesn't necessarily feel..... far more upscale than the other two inside.
Old 10-30-05, 02:09 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

I've driven plenty of Accords/TL's
and a 530i many times

the 2dr Accord is basically like fwd 5er w/o the high build quality.
steering is excellent on 2dr models, not 4dr models
TL steering is too loose, lack of feedback, steering wheel too large.

that's just my opinion

Camry should have finished 2nd, if C&D was looking for the best appliance.

and everyone here by now knows the next gen Camry will be the standard in this class for many yrs to come. Outside Honda the competition will not catch up for at least the decade.

based on my experience I'd take a V6 2dr Accord over anything but the 330i and pocket the change. Save/Invest buy something much nicer in the future.

Last edited by LexusLuver; 10-30-05 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Comparison Test: Camry, Accord, Sonata, Fusion (Dec. '05 C&D)