Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comparison Test: Camry, Accord, Sonata, Fusion (Dec. '05 C&D)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 01:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Comparison Test: Camry, Accord, Sonata, Fusion (Dec. '05 C&D)

Old 10-26-05, 02:06 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This magazine will give Honda the top spot every time no matter what (the do the same thing for BMW, I know, I know..) they probably didn't even drive the cars... the real order should be:
1. Sonata - Great looks (I like plain Ok?), great size, great price and great build quality
2. Camry - It's the Maytag of family cars (I thought this was a good thing)
3. Fusion - Great looks, good price and come on folks, lets give Ford a fighting chance here
4. Accord - Overpriced ugly car with good power - is that what a family car buyer wants?

I can't believe they didn't give Hyundai number one. To me it is the clear winner in this fleet. They likely didn't want to be the first magazine to rank a Hyundai over a Honda.
Old 10-26-05, 03:26 PM
xioix
Racer

if they wanted performance, why not the SE V6 which runs simialar times to the Accord V6
Old 10-26-05, 04:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffey454
This magazine will give Honda the top spot every time no matter what (the do the same thing for BMW, I know, I know..) they probably didn't even drive the cars... the real order should be:
1. Sonata - Great looks (I like plain Ok?), great size, great price and great build quality
2. Camry - It's the Maytag of family cars (I thought this was a good thing)
3. Fusion - Great looks, good price and come on folks, lets give Ford a fighting chance here
4. Accord - Overpriced ugly car with good power - is that what a family car buyer wants?

I can't believe they didn't give Hyundai number one. To me it is the clear winner in this fleet. They likely didn't want to be the first magazine to rank a Hyundai over a Honda.

No no no, you got it all wrong, it should be like this:

1) Accord - reliability on par with camry, interior on par with lexus, enough power to spank BMW's, and the price is right.

2) Camry - nice minivan... err sedan. I could say that it needs more power, more handling, but then your typical camry buyer couldn't care less. It's a great car for what it is, however the I'm placing it below the accord is because it's interior is super cheap.

3) Sonata - another copycat. Good looking, but the design is clearly a copycat of accord and last gen camry. The car has no innovations whatsoever, and plus it's 100,000/10 year warranty is a scam. The only thing going for it is that it's considerably cheaper than the rest.

4) Fusion - Fugly rental, just like anything else from the big three.
Old 10-26-05, 04:22 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
3) Sonata - another copycat. Good looking, but the design is clearly a copycat of accord and last gen camry. The car has no innovations whatsoever, and plus it's 100,000/10 year warranty is a scam. The only thing going for it is that it's considerably cheaper than the rest.
How is the 100,000mile/10year warranty a scam? Can you get a little more specific?

I do agree however, that the car is not very original in design. It has many features that resemble other vehicles. But this issue has been discussed over and over again. And countless number of times, people have said that other car manufacturers do the same thing. When the LS first came out, they said the same thing saying that it was a copy of the Mercedes S-class? E-class? I forget which but 10 years ago, people said the same thing about Toyota and Lexus.

However, I don't agree with your ranking of the Sonata. I think that the Sonata over-takes the Camry. Don't want to get flamed or anything here, but I think that the Sonata is clearly above Camry's level. Camry is not far behind, but Hyundai deserves a hand for creating a much better looking (even though it's not original), better quality, and more reliable vehicle. I say the Sonata is equal, if not above, Camry. And same goes for the Accord. I think the Sonata is right next to Accord in the standings. Accord VS Sonata with Camry right on their heels.

The Fusion also doesn't look too bad. Still looks cheap, and has a far way to go before it catches up to the others. But I think it's a step in the right direction. Kind of.
Old 10-26-05, 04:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
How is the 100,000mile/10year warranty a scam? Can you get a little more specific?
The 10/100,000 is only for the first, original owner. The second owner gets only 5/50,000, which is no better than other manufacturers.

I do agree however, that the car is not very original in design. It has many features that resemble other vehicles. But this issue has been discussed over and over again. And countless number of times, people have said that other car manufacturers do the same thing. When the LS first came out, they said the same thing saying that it was a copy of the Mercedes S-class? E-class? I forget which but 10 years ago, people said the same thing about Toyota and Lexus.
I personally never found the LS to be anything like the S class. In fact, it''s MB that "copied" Lexus' rounded shape in their next generation.

However, I don't agree with your ranking of the Sonata. I think that the Sonata over-takes the Camry. Don't want to get flamed or anything here, but I think that the Sonata is clearly above Camry's level. Camry is not far behind, but Hyundai deserves a hand for creating a much better looking (even though it's not original), better quality, and more reliable vehicle. I say the Sonata is equal, if not above, Camry. And same goes for the Accord. I think the Sonata is right next to Accord in the standings. Accord VS Sonata with Camry right on their heels.
Well, I'm disappointed with the camry myself, however it is a PROVEN car that will last forever. Hyundai is yet to prove themselves, and I'm not sold on what seems to be initial better quality, lets see how they last. As far as accord goes, I think it has a much better interior quality than Sonata/Camry, better engine/suspension, but it costs more.
If I was car shopping and had to chose these three cars (wouldn't even consider the ford), I'd get the Accord.

The Fusion also doesn't look too bad. Still looks cheap, and has a far way to go before it catches up to the others. But I think it's a step in the right direction. Kind of.
Looks freaking fugly to me.
Old 10-26-05, 05:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I read Camry review and i thought it was dead on. It is oldest car yet with nicest fit and finish and interior materials. It had the biggest back seat - which should have counted for something in family car.

I dont get why they didnt get 220hp engine but I figure they cant get it perfect.

- Accord - Euro design interior looks good, outside is VERY ugly.
- Sonata - handsom car (copycat so what) with very bland interior which is much cheaper than Camry's. Also lack of headroom at back (at least with moonroof). Dont get me wrong - i would get Sonata sooner than Camry, just because I am younger dude but for what it is, Camry is much better car.
-Fusion - in the middle of pack really, nothing special at all except that it is much better than what big 3 had before.
Old 10-26-05, 05:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
I read Camry review and i thought it was dead on. It is oldest car yet with nicest fit and finish and interior materials. It had the biggest back seat - which should have counted for something in family car.
Don't know about Fusion, but compared to the other three Camry uses the cheapest interior materials, and its fit and finish sucks. The wood grain looks ridiculously plastic, armrest and glove department doors are light and flimsy, and so is everything else. Go check out accord's interior, it's almost as good as the ES330.
Old 10-26-05, 11:09 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Don't know about Fusion, but compared to the other three Camry uses the cheapest interior materials, and its fit and finish sucks. The wood grain looks ridiculously plastic, armrest and glove department doors are light and flimsy, and so is everything else. Go check out accord's interior, it's almost as good as the ES330.
Uhh what planet are YOU on? The materials in the accord are NO better than the camry of identical packaging. PERIOD. You're wrong... you probably sat in an old camry or sat in a base model camry... this is a full blown luxury edition with leather and everything. I've been in both... quite a few times. My sister's husband owns a fully loaded V6 Accord (navigation too). While its very nice on the inside, its no better than his mother's 05 Camry.
Besides that... read the article. It even says (verbatim): "...a class above the others" when speaking of the interior.

The accord couldnt even begin to touch the ES330. ROFL You are a serious troll.... go away please kid. Go back to hondafanboys.com

The hyundai is a very good buy. The ONLY qualms I have with it are its exterior styling being a bit outdated.
Old 10-27-05, 01:07 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand why the Accord, with "muscular handling, quick transmission reflexes, and serious acceleration", would rank 1st and Camry, with "impeccable interior details, plush-carpet ride, and best back seat of the bunch " would rank 4th. Potential customers for "mid-size 4-door sedans" are the general families, not motorsport enthusiasts. They're so used to judging cars by their acceleration and performance that they don't know what's important anymore. I don't think a family of 4 would sacrifice rear seats for neck-snapping acceleration.
Old 10-27-05, 01:09 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Uhh what planet are YOU on? The materials in the accord are NO better than the camry of identical packaging. PERIOD. You're wrong... you probably sat in an old camry or sat in a base model camry... this is a full blown luxury edition with leather and everything. I've been in both... quite a few times. My sister's husband owns a fully loaded V6 Accord (navigation too). While its very nice on the inside, its no better than his mother's 05 Camry.
Besides that... read the article. It even says (verbatim): "...a class above the others" when speaking of the interior.

The accord couldnt even begin to touch the ES330. ROFL You are a serious troll.... go away please kid. Go back to hondafanboys.com

The hyundai is a very good buy. The ONLY qualms I have with it are its exterior styling being a bit outdated.
well said The accord is nowhere near the ES330. Maybe a ES300 from 1996 tho.
Old 10-27-05, 01:10 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Well the Honda Accord is C&D's favorite. Look how many consecutive years that car has been on C&D's Top 10 list. It's a nice car, but C&D is notorious for their fuzzy math assessments and questionable picks.
Old 10-27-05, 04:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean

First of all, I've never insulted your, or anybody else on this board, so I would appreciate if you do the same. If I was a "troll" or a "kid" from hondafanboys.com I don't think I'd be driving a GS430.

And yeah, I've sat in a full blow luxury camry, and guess what, it sucked. Like I said, the dash construction was cheap, door panels looked cheap, wood looked fake, and everything was flimsy. If anything, it's interior quality is comparable to that of Civic, but nowhere near the accord. And accord's interior is comparable to the ES300 as far as quality of most materials and the built quality, but it lacks the gorgeous wood grain of ES300, and of course the leather seats are not even in the same class.
Old 10-27-05, 04:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
I don't understand why the Accord, with "muscular handling, quick transmission reflexes, and serious acceleration", would rank 1st and Camry, with "impeccable interior details, plush-carpet ride, and best back seat of the bunch " would rank 4th. Potential customers for "mid-size 4-door sedans" are the general families, not motorsport enthusiasts. They're so used to judging cars by their acceleration and performance that they don't know what's important anymore. I don't think a family of 4 would sacrifice rear seats for neck-snapping acceleration.
The why do people buy 4 door cars such as GS430, TL, Q45, E55, S600? To each it's own you see - some drive minvan, some drive sport sedans. I have a family, and neither me nor my wife would want a camry, it's too plush and boring.
Old 10-27-05, 10:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I have a family, and neither me nor my wife would want a camry, it's too plush and boring.
Boring yes, plush? Er, no.

About these cars... I noticed C&D has the newcomers in black and the 'establishment' in tan.

The Fusion looks more modern than the Camry/Accord I'd say, but still a bit awkward and the interior is still a bit funky.

The Sonata is a great value but exterior styling is still too safe.

Both the Camry and Accord exterior designs look really old in those pictures not to mention boring, ugly, cheap.

But hey, like a Big Mac they can't be bad cuz millions buy 'em right?

Quick Reply: Comparison Test: Camry, Accord, Sonata, Fusion (Dec. '05 C&D)