Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Has the 06 GS grown on you yet?
I love it !!
54.02%
Starting too!!
20.69%
Hell no!!
25.29%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Has the 06 GS grown on you yet

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 06:34 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

nope , not by a long shot .. 2 gen still has a style unto its own.. nothing on the road looks like a 2 gen and the stares you get on the 2 gen is still unbelieveable.

my vote goes to 2 gen.. when i see a 3 gen go by i have to look real hard to make sure its not a maxima i am looking at..

i will stick to the 2 gen for now until i sell it maybe next year for a 99 sc300 coupe
Old 10-31-05, 06:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
when i see a 3 gen go by i have to look real hard to make sure its not a maxima i am looking at..
Ya know, a couple of times recently I saw a car a distance away going the other direction on the interstate and thought hey there's a new GS only to realize it's a Maxima once it got closer. The GS up close does have lots of nice styling details but overall it's too bland.
Old 10-31-05, 10:11 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
I have been back, and forth lookin at the new GS430 just about every stink weekend drulling at it. The more i look at it the more i want it, so yes i love it now with the exception that it lakes power thats it. So i just wanted to start a poll to see how many of you guys feel the way i feel.
Well you could wait out a year for the 450h or 460 models if you want more power.

I agree with you other guys tho, while it is a very nice car, it just lacks the impact that the 2GS made on me. When I first saw the HPS concept at the Chicago show in 96 or 97, it was like having Beyonce-walk-up-to-you-and-just-grab-your-package type of feeling... even driving the new GS, it was just more like lookin at Beyonce on the cover of a magazine type feeling! I think what it is, is that the 2GS was such a HUGE design and performance leap over the 1GS... and while the 3GS is great, its not THAT much sexier or faster in comparison with the 2GS it replaces. And I agree, it doesn't look quite as sporty and brute.

Last edited by Faraaz23; 10-31-05 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-31-05, 11:12 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, if our little poll here is any indicator... Lexus has got a big hit on its hands. I can't wait until the lease returns start to show up on dealers' lots.
Old 10-31-05, 12:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

actually just this past weekend i was driving on the road a lot, and i had to try very hard to distinguish the new GS from one of the hyundai model.... from the rear those two cars look so damn close to each other @_@
Old 10-31-05, 12:59 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
actually just this past weekend i was driving on the road a lot, and i had to try very hard to distinguish the new GS from one of the hyundai model.... from the rear those two cars look so damn close to each other @_@
Yeah, the new Sonata is not bad.

Old 10-31-05, 01:58 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Yes, I have to admit the 06 GS has grown on me a lot!

Do I prefer it to my 2nd gen GS? Nope!

However I think the 3rd Gen GS does look much more "modern" and sexy than the 2nd gen GS.

I don't really care if it looks like a Maxima or not - the point is that I like it and in my book that is what counts.

Would I trade in my modded 2nd gen GS for a 3rd Gen? Nope. The newer technology is nicer without a doubt, but my 2nd gen GS modded, to me is a better car than a stock 3rd gen. Not a fair comparison, yes. On the other hand if you look at a stock 2nd gen and a stock 3rd gen, the 2nd gen looks positively hideous - that 3 inch gap between the tires and fender and those skinny tires on the 2nd gen are such a turn off for me.

Once coilovers and and some nice body kits are available for the 3rd gen GS, there will be a lot more converts here, mark my words on that.
Old 10-31-05, 02:01 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Not really. It is a nice car and I do like it a little better than when it first came out, it is definitely not a must have for me. I do think it looks very sleek in black. The only things that draws me to the car are the upgrades (interior features, upcoming engines, ...).

I prefer my 2GS. I can't even compare the two body styles as they look like different cars. There are people who never liked the 2GS and I am OK with that too.
its starting to grow on me but like neo said, not a must
Old 10-31-05, 02:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah thanks neo, that's the car... epecially at night, i almost hit it before i could see it's a hyundai....
Old 10-31-05, 05:22 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sansei's modded 3GS has helped change my mind.

Actually, I still like the 1GS and 2GS also. GS's are classics - lots of aftermarket support, the ability to swap engines (first 2 gens obviously), and of course the undying loyalty of all of us. I'd be proud to own any of the 3 if they're modded right or in pristine condition.
Old 11-01-05, 12:50 PM
Milla...

No I still don't like it, a bit to bland, it looks as though I can open up the back like a hatch, no, the more I see it the more it confirms my feelings on the thing.
Old 11-02-05, 05:43 PM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Understanding L-Finesse concept, I love the style so much more, once all the aftermarket products start on rollin' out....it can be a "people's choice!!!!"........
Old 11-02-05, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bercasio
Understanding L-Finesse concept, I love the style so much more, once all the aftermarket products start on rollin' out....it can be a "people's choice!!!!"........
So how does the new GS exemplify the "three principles" of L-Finesse: "intriguing elegance," "incisive simplicity," and "seamless anticipation."?
Old 11-03-05, 06:50 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So how does the new GS exemplify the "three principles" of L-Finesse: "intriguing elegance," "incisive simplicity," and "seamless anticipation."?
My understanding of L-Finnesse is a very simplistic one and does away with all those phrases.

In a nutshell, L-finesse means that the entire Lexus line will have common styling cues. Some obvious and others not so obvious.

I was at the local Lexus dealer on Friday and there was a 2nd gen IS and 3rd gen GS beside each other. You could see the family resemblance clearly. Both cars have a very edgy, sharp look to them. Both have similar lines on the hood and sides.

In contrast, comparing the 1st gen IS with the 2nd gen GS - there was nothing in common between the two cars at all.

That's my interpretation of the L-Finnesse. Make the cars look similar, very modern looking. Edgy but not over the top (for some people) like the Bangle Bimmers.

Notice that some of the styling cues of the 5 series are present in the 3rd gen GS as well as the 2nd gen IS.

For instance, if you look at some of the lines at the front half of the GS, they look a toned down version of the 5. Similarly, if you look at the rear tail lights - the trailing edges of the lights curve upward (more noticeable at night) - which looks a bit like the 5's rear lights (at night).
Old 11-03-05, 09:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
That's my interpretation of the L-Finnesse. Make the cars look similar, very modern looking.
I agree the new IS and GS share styling cues, but the LF-Sh 'concept' doesn't seem to look anything like the IS and GS.

... if you look at some of the lines at the front half of the GS, they look a toned down version of the 5. Similarly, if you look at the rear tail lights - the trailing edges of the lights curve upward (more noticeable at night) - which looks a bit like the 5's rear lights (at night).
Hmm... I don't see it. I think the GS is better and more unified looking than the 5 (not saying much). The 5 is like a camel, which is like a horse designed by a committee.

Quick Reply: Has the 06 GS grown on you yet