Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln counting on Zephyr, Aviator to launch sales recovery, large sedans coming

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 07:01 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Lincoln counting on Zephyr, Aviator to launch sales recovery, large sedans coming

Lincoln counting on Zephyr, Aviator to launch sales recovery, says large sedans to come
AMY WILSON | Automotive News
Posted Date: 10/31/05

NEW YORK -- Next year will mark the beginning of Lincoln's sales recovery, Ford Motor Co. executives predict.

The 2006 Zephyr sedan and 2007 Aviator sport wagon will carry the struggling luxury brand to its first annual sales increase since 2003, they say.

Lincoln's turnaround will depend mostly on the Zephyr, which went on sale this fall. The Aviator won't go on sale until late next year.

The two vehicles "begin the progression of Lincoln being relevant in the marketplace again," Elena Ford, Ford's director of North America product marketing, planning and strategy, said at a press event here last week. Executives won't say how much of a sales increase they expect.

In 1990, Lincoln sales peaked at 231,660 units. The best the luxury unit has done since then was 193,009 sales in 2000. Aside from a brief upturn in 2003, sales have fallen steadily this decade. Through September, Lincoln sales totaled 93,700 units, down 10.1 percent from the year-ago period.

More models

It will take more than the Zephyr and Aviator to return the brand to glory.

Lincoln will introduce more vehicles after 2006. Two large sedans will go on sale starting in 2007. At least one of the sedans is likely to appear as a concept car at the Detroit auto show in January.
With those two sedans, Lincoln aims to revive its bread-and-butter large-car business.

Lincoln also is developing a people mover and is studying a sporty coupe based on the Ford Mustang.

Lincoln has said it wants to boost retail sales to 200,000 annually. By the end of the decade, dealers will have at least eight Lincoln nameplates in their showrooms, company executives have said.
That's up from six today -- the Aviator, LS, Town Car, Navigator, Zephyr and Mark LT. The truck-based Aviator ended production in July, and the LS sedan will be discontinued next year.

Improvements for the Mark LT pickup also are likely down the road. Lincoln sold 5,927 units of the lightly reworked Ford F-150 from its February debut through September. That's well behind its annual target of 20,000 units.

Said Elena Ford: "We could do more to Lincoln-ize it, frankly."

Last edited by magneto112; 10-31-05 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-31-05, 07:44 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting article. The Zephyr actually looks half-decent. The duratec is a solid engine, and though the front end does nothing for me I like the rear profile. It's inexpensive, too - kind of a shame its fwd. Has anyone here driven one?
Old 10-31-05, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
The Zephyr actually looks half-decent. . Has anyone here driven one?
It is next on my review list...I'm just waiting for an unsold one that can be test-driven. They are being sold as fast as they come in.
Old 10-31-05, 08:55 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Improvements for the Mark LT pickup also are likely down the road. Lincoln sold 5,927 units of the lightly reworked Ford F-150 from its February debut through September. That's well behind its annual target of 20,000 units.

Said Elena Ford: "We could do more to Lincoln-ize it, frankly."

Oh jeez, not again. They shouldnt expect such a huge market for the Mark LT. They need to make it more unique(like what they did with the Expedition and Navigator) and reduce output. Cadillac doesnt sell that many Escalade EXT's anymore as well.

Sucks that they failed at this for a second time.

Oh, and Lincoln turning to FWD is not helping either. While everyone is moving to RWD, Lincoln goes backwards and uses FWD.(Heck even Hyundai is going RWD) Obviously a move to keep cost down and utilize more platform sharing.
Old 10-31-05, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I looked at several Mark LT's the other day but did not test-drive any.....IMO it would have been a waste of time. They are just redone F-150's...............and the top-line F-150 Lariat, IMO, actually had a nicer-looking interior with more wood trim. Neither truck had what I would consider good hardware, but the Lariat's interior was stunning to just look at.
Old 10-31-05, 09:47 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

It's good to see Lincoln has a plan for recovery. I do hope they also try to squeeze in some more quality development in there because the vehicles are lacking in this area.

I recently rented a 2005 Town Car for a week and it was unimpressive at best. The horn was already broken (10k miles), and closing the doors sounds EXACTLY the same as closing the door on a 1989 Crown Victoria Taxicab -- like there's a can of nuts and bolts in it.

The materials inside were substandard, the construction was just enough to pass, and the overall feel was just sad considering it's Ford's "best."

A week later I rented a Mercury Sable and that's an entire post of complaints... Of note was the trunk release that is rigged to remove your jaw with the trunk if you're not careful. It opens VERY quickly. We were launching grapefruits off it medieval catapult style. The rear lights were also getting moisture inside as evidenced by condensation on the lens -- a problem I've observed on many new Sables.

So I hope Ford is addressing these types of issues and starting to put together cars that are worth buying. Lincoln cars are not ugly and ride very smooth but they need to make an overall decent package to not only lure buyers, but keep them as well.
Old 10-31-05, 03:16 PM
LexFather

Oh for goodness sakes, Lincoln=who cares. What a brand with a go nowhere image. The LS, the BEST Lincoln in recent memory, will be discontinued this year. The Navigator is no longer the favorite truck for pimps, rappers and wannabe CEOs. The Zephyer thing is laugable next to the new IS 350 and 3 series.

Old 10-31-05, 05:05 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

You bring up a valid point - What exactly is Lincolns market demographic, anyway?

I do think the Zephyr is meant to compete with the IS250/325i rather than the IS350/330i, though.

Last edited by picus; 10-31-05 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-31-05, 05:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
You bring up a valid point - What exactly is Lincolns market demographic, anyway?

I do think the Zephyr is meant to compete with the IS250/325i rather than the IS350/330i, though.
The sad thing is LINCOLN doesn't know this question. I think they should MASTER the older people market, why does EVERYONE have to be young and sporty?

300C ownsz any Lincoln made the past 20 years, which is nuts. The CTS has done a better job than the Lincoln LS (though I like the LS better).

I think the Zephyer competes with the TL/ES and cars like that, where it will get its butt whooped.

In 1990, Lincoln sales peaked at 231,660 units. The best the luxury unit has done since then was 193,009 sales in 2000. Aside from a brief upturn in 2003, sales have fallen steadily this decade. Through September, Lincoln sales totaled 93,700 units, down 10.1 percent from the year-ago period.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-31-05 at 05:22 PM.

Old 10-31-05, 06:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Still like the babe (Jill Wagner) in their commercials though.

Others seem to also...

http://www.populationstatistic.com/a...-mercury-girl/

Edit: oh wait, that's Mercury

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-31-05 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-31-05, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Seriously though, while Lincoln's kinda like a 'domestic Acura' (not quite full boat luxury), I think Ford may recover at GM's expense.
Old 10-31-05, 07:15 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Oh for goodness sakes, Lincoln=who cares. What a brand with a go nowhere image. The LS, the BEST Lincoln in recent memory, will be discontinued this year. The Navigator is no longer the favorite truck for pimps, rappers and wannabe CEOs. The Zephyer thing is laugable next to the new IS 350 and 3 series.

Could not have said it better myself. Totally agree.
Old 10-31-05, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Zephyer thing is laugable next to the new IS 350 and 3 series.
I'm going to do a review of one when they become available for a test-drive. I would have done one by now except that they are selling as fast as they get in.....and not many have come in.
Why don't you do a review too if you can get a hold of one? Let's see if it is laughable or not....it will be interesting to see if we both come to the same conclusions....though I agree that up against the new IS it will have its work cut out for it. Like the new IS AWD, though, there will be an AWD Zephyr later on.
Old 10-31-05, 10:47 PM
Variance
Driver

Wouldn't the Zephyr actually be a ES330 competitor being FWD? It might be more appropriate to compare to that.
Old 11-01-05, 06:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Variance
Wouldn't the Zephyr actually be a ES330 competitor being FWD? It might be more appropriate to compare to that.
and I quote myself
The sad thing is LINCOLN doesn't know this question. I think they should MASTER the older people market, why does EVERYONE have to be young and sporty?

300C ownsz any Lincoln made the past 20 years, which is nuts. The CTS has done a better job than the Lincoln LS (though I like the LS better).

I think the Zephyer competes with the TL/ES and cars like that, where it will get its butt whooped.

Quick Reply: Lincoln counting on Zephyr, Aviator to launch sales recovery, large sedans coming