Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

October 2005 Auto Sales, Lexus and the other guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
[B]
In addition, October sales of the all-new media-lauded Grand Vitara, now available nationwide for the first full month, jumped an outstanding 145 percent over last October's numbers.

"The increasing sales of the all-new 2006 Grand Vitara and the continuing sales growth of the Forenza models are driving our sales to record numbers in the United States," said Koichi Suzuki, president of American Suzuki's Automotive Operations.

([/CODE]
Yes....the new Grand Vitara, even though it is just another rebadged version of the same platform and body that produced the new Chevrolet Equinox, Pontiac Torrent, and Saturn VUE, is a much better vehicle than the last one. The last one, granted, was a good off-roader with the separate body-on-frame construction, and could go places that car-based cute-utes couldn't, but was crude, underpowered, and rough-riding and noisy on pavement....the way most people drive SUV's today. In addition, the old model...in a mistake that I pointed out several times to the Suzuki people...had part-time 4WD only without a center differential, and THAT, fortunately, has also been addressed on the new model.

The third-row-seat-equipped Grand Vitara XL-7, BTW, continues for one more year on the old platform, then it, too, will be re-designed on a stretched version of the new platform.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-05-05 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-05-05, 07:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Wow, the 5 and E outsell the new GS nearly 2 to 1? That ugly 5 and that horribly unreliable E class?
Yep, like P.T. Barnum always said.............there's a s - -ker born every minute.

I'm not saying these people are fools. Maybe there are things about the 5 or E that they like....but I certainly would question that judgement from my own point of view.....I have a low opinion of both cars, except for the E's advantage in safety features. The old 5, though, was a superb car in many ways....one of my favorites.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-05-05 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-05-05, 08:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep, like P.T. Barnum always said.............there's a s - -ker born every minute.
All those taxi companies in Europe must all be suckers then LOL . . .
Old 11-05-05, 08:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes and no. In Europe the governments do more to subsidize their own vehicle industries and keep out Japanese competition than we do here in the States......or Canada where you live. They use taxes and tariffs more than we do. In Europe a taxi company can often buy a European-designed vehicle for less than a comparable Japanese-designed one.
Old 11-05-05, 08:29 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I hear you!

Of course, fleet sales in the U.S. largely bail-out the Big Three on sales figures for cars like the Cobalt, 500, Lumina, Sebring, etc. Speaking of which, I'd be interested to see fleet sales "backed-out" of the above sales figures...

It's also interesting to note how (relatively) rare the GS430 is...
Old 11-05-05, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I hear you!

Of course, fleet sales in the U.S. largely bail-out the Big Three on sales figures for cars like the Cobalt, 500, Lumina, Sebring, etc. Speaking of which, I'd be interested to see fleet sales "backed-out" of the above sales figures...

Subsidy has a lot to do with it.......read my response to Amethy above.
Old 11-05-05, 09:31 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, the 5 and E outsell the new GS nearly 2 to 1? That ugly 5 and that horribly unreliable E class?
brand recognition e.g. lable *****s will always choose a BMW or Benz over a Lexus...it could be the ugliest car design but people will buy it because it's a Bimmer or Benz
Old 11-05-05, 12:21 PM
LexFather

We only have
GS 300
GS 300AWD
GS 430
They have
BMW
530 AWD
wagon version of all these
Benz
E350
E500
4-matic versions
wagon versions

It will be hard for Lexus to catch up. Not to mention in this class, name and image mean much more than the class below it.

Old 11-05-05, 12:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by biker
Thank you.

Seems like the 5 series is right there with the E class every month.

Biker, who would like to see the same comparison at the entry level: TSX +TL for Acura, G35 for Infiniti, IS+ES for Lexus, A4 for Audi, 3 series for BMW, C class for MB, CTS for Caddy.
1SICKLEX, who would to see biker do it himself and share

Old 11-05-05, 04:52 PM
LexFather

Porsche. The German automaker reported that North American sales plummeted 14 percent in October to 2,729 units due to an almost 50 percent drop in demand for the Cayenne..

Ford. There is one very, very big bright spot for a Detroit automaker in this doom and gloom market - and that is the sales performance of the new Ford Fusion. Performing at a retail sales level that is nearly 50 percent higher than what was first expected

Old 11-05-05, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It doesn't take rocket science to figure this one out. Porsches are NOT economy cars, and October was a month which saw gas at $3.00 a gallon and up...especially the premium gas Porsches burn. However, the price is dropping now.

I said a while ago not to laugh at the Fusion. ( I know you didn't, Mike ) When the AWD versions debut in a few months ( if Ford was smart they would bring them out now, with the snows approaching ) the sales of the AWD Five Hundred / Montego may start to suffer

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-05-05 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-06-05, 04:42 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1SICKLEX, who would to see biker do it himself and share
I'll put that on the agenda for the Nov sales thread.
Old 11-06-05, 04:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by biker
I'll put that on the agenda for the Nov sales thread.

Old 11-10-05, 08:12 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

audi:
http://media.audiusa.com/article_dis...rticle_id=9678

vw:
http://media.vw.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=9744

gm:
http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=20121

Low sales (less than half of Oct 04):
Saab, Jaguar

Anyone have info on which car makes, as in not conglomerates like GM, but individual makes like Saab, Jaguar, etc., are actually profitable? I'm curious whether some of the lower selling brands are at leasting making money...
Old 11-10-05, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Sorry mmarshall, but I think you missed my point. Of course there will always be "some" that will prefer "the more squared-off lines of the old car"--happens to every all-new model of every brand. Many, if not most, however, will prefer newer models, which are almost always better than the outgoing models in most aspects. While there's no denying that "the current LS is a superlative machine, inside and out", the next LS is bound to be all that and more. So my point is, the fact that Toyota unveiled the concept of the next LS this early on is going to cost them a good number of sales for the current LS, as clearly evident in their October sales result, where the sales of the LS dropped dramatically and is no longer satisfactory for a $60k luxury car (hence my wording "suck"). Many people who can wait, after visually seeing how good the next LS will be will simply, well, wait.
No...I got your point. We will just have to wait and see. Lexus can sell just about anything with the " L " on it just from its quality reputation alone.

Quick Reply: October 2005 Auto Sales, Lexus and the other guys