Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which car to buy?
93 SC 300
40.00%
97 Saab Aero 2.3 turbo
40.00%
Whatever 1SICKLEX says
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

93 sc300 or 97 Saab Aero 2.3 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 05:47 PM
sc4dublold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 93 sc300 or 97 Saab Aero 2.3 turbo

First, I'de like to say that I previously owned a 92 sc400 and am a big Toyota fan.
Today, as part of my car hunt, I drove both of these fine autos in their stock form.

The sc300 was in excellent condition (5 sp, 107,000 Miles, asking $6800). I was really excited to drive it, since I have never driven a manual sc300. Although, It did'nt seem to be as fast as I thought it would be (??). My sc400 auto seemed quicker. The shifting also seemed to be a bit stiff (especially shifting down from 2nd to 1st), and the clutch seemed to grab at the end of its travel. I don't plan on spening the $5000+ for a turbo upgrade.

The Saab seemed very fast in comparison (My first time driving one of these). Its shifting was very smooth, brakes were great, and it handled very well. Although, the cruise control and driver seat power did not work. The Saab has 88,000 miles and is priced at $6500.

I hate to go against Toyota's known reliability, but the Saab seems like a better deal, especially considering the 4cyl fuel savings.

I would appreciate any input from those who are familiar with both these cars.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-05, 05:50 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Are you for real??? You come to a lexus scx00 forum and u ask if u should get a 5spd sc3 or a SAAB?????

Get the saab.... leave the 5spd SC3 to someone who will appricate it more
Old 11-01-05, 06:18 PM
LexusPunk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Are you for real??? You come to a lexus scx00 forum and u ask if u should get a 5spd sc3 or a SAAB?????

He's only looking for an answer. No need to get testy Anyways, it depends on what you want out of your car. Both are nice as far as luxury but the name Lexus has higher status in society. The Saab is probably quicker but you could reach the same power with just a few upgrades to the SC. I love my Lexus too much so I am standing by it. Lexus all the way
Old 11-01-05, 07:16 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you said the sc300 wasnt as quick as your sc400?? isnt one a V6 and the other a V8?? i dont know much bout the SC's so pardon me if im incorrect...
Old 11-01-05, 08:59 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuddy
you said the sc300 wasnt as quick as your sc400?? isnt one a V6 and the other a V8?? i dont know much bout the SC's so pardon me if im incorrect...
Inline 6, a little bit more torquey than a V6
I prefer the SC3 but in your case I'd go with the Saab since you don't plan on upgrading the engine.
Old 11-02-05, 03:51 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Well since you probably will never EVER track the car in your life. Get the wwd nose heavy saab.
Old 11-02-05, 03:53 PM
sc4dublold
Driver School Candidate

For 220hp, the sc seems a little slow - must be the weight. I would have liked it much better if it had shifted "buttery smooth" as I expected. Eveything else about the car seems great. I can just imagine how sweet they are with a turbo upgrade - wish I had that kind of cash!
Old 11-03-05, 06:46 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc4dublold
For 220hp, the sc seems a little slow - must be the weight. I would have liked it much better if it had shifted "buttery smooth" as I expected. Eveything else about the car seems great. I can just imagine how sweet they are with a turbo upgrade - wish I had that kind of cash!
What year was the car? If it's 92-94 this should help out with the notchy shifting.

95+ models had a slightly different tranny, still W58 though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ifter+bushings
Old 11-03-05, 07:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by VJ RC51

Rather rude. The guy was only asking an honest question because he wants our opinions.

First.....WELCOME to Club Lexus, sc4dubloid ....and to CAR CHAT. I apologize for that previous comment you received from another member. It is not typical of this forum.

Here's my take: You apparantly have examined and considered both cars carefully. Though I obviously have not seen or driven either one, from your description, it sounds to me like the SC300 is a risky buy, even though I agree the SC300 has dynamite looks. It appears to have driven at least fairly hard, by your description of the clutch and transmission.......the first-gear synchros may be getting ready to go, and all other things equal, a clutch that grabs at the top of its travel indicates worn clutch linings and / or a worn pressure-plate and disc. That also likely explains why it didn't have quite the pep you expected.
Do you hear any grinding while shifting or hear or feel the engine RPM slipping while the clutch engages? Those are also indicators of synchro and clutch wear. Watch the tach. If the engine RPM increases when you hit the gas and let let the clutch back out while shifting and does NOT come all the way back down when the clutch is fully engaged, the clutch is slipping and if new linings don't do the trick will probably soon be history.
Also of importance in the SC300's engine is the timing belt. This engine, like many older Toyota / Lexus products, uses a rubber timing belt that needs to be replaced, and with over 100,000 miles on the car, if that has not been done, it should be done ASAP. A broken timing belt on this engine will not lead to its self-destruction like on some valve / piston interference engines, but will definitely cause the engine to quit and leave you stranded.....maybe not in the best of places.
The Saab, on the other hand, appears by your description to be a better buy overall. It has fewer miles, and while Saabs in general are less reliable than Lexuses, this car has the double advantage of not having a many miles ( 13,000 less ) and not appearing to have been driven as hard.
Now...you did mention in your post that you did not want to go with a turbo update for the SC300. With the Saab you will be stuck with one....all Swedish-designed Saabs sold in the American market have a turbo. That, of course, means using GOOD turbo-approved oil, frequent oil changes, careful start-ups when cold, idling the engine a minute or two before shutdown to allow the turbo bearings to stop spinning, cool down, and maintain oil pressure, and generally more maintenance than with a non-turbo engine. Added to this is the fact that in many vehicles, the turbos, even with good maintenance and proper driving technique, do not aways last the life of the engine.
The Saab, from your description, otherwise seems to be in generally better shape than the SC.
My preliminany advice would be to go with the Saab, in spite of the turbo. In some ways, it is hard to go wrong with only $6500...you are getting a car ( presumably in at least fairly good shape ) for only about one-sixth of what it sold for new. You don't have to use the turbo heavily and put a lot of wear on it.....it will be there if you need or want it, or you can use a light foot and get better mileage ( on premium fuel, of course )........if you don't. And you will also have the Saab's traction advantage of front-wheel drive that the SC does not have. If possible, have a CARFAX report run on it...that will tell you some things you would not know otherwise.
http://www.carfax.com/cfm/general_ch...CMP=KNC-Google

Good luck Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-03-05 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-03-05, 08:16 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

MM good points - I brought my 95' with apprx 75K on it with the original clutch and to my knowledge the original t-belt. I had the clutch replaced and the tranny inspected, besides some misc bearings it was in good overall shape, smooth shifting, etc. I had the T-belt, waterpump, plugs, etc changed shortly after and it definitely made a difference. When you buy an older SC, ask if the 90K service has been done (T-belt, waterpump,etc.). If it hasn't been performed, use it as bargaining point on the sale. If all this car requires is a clutch, tune-up, etc, it sounds like a good investment. The 2JZ is a solid engine. I've put on close to 70K trouble free miles so far.

Turbo Saab sounds fun but as MM pointed, they're not as reliable. Not to say the SC is without its faults either.
Old 11-05-05, 04:03 PM
sc4dublold
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the insight guys. Buying used cars is an ugly, time-consuming business, especially if your looking for a good value. It seems that all the "good-values" I've wasted my time looking at had hidden problems, that I luckily caught before purchasing. I may have to go with the Saab since I know the owner closely and know that its a great car. But perhaps I'll send the 93 SC300 used car dealer a low bid, and cover the cost of bringing the tranny up to par with an otherwise excellent vehicle.
Old 11-05-05, 04:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Defenately scratch the SC, its a great car, but its 12 years old.

The saab... Meh, I don't like them, they produce absolutely no power until the turbo kicks in, plus they look fugly. If your budget is $6500, get 97-98 Acura CL 3.0 manual, it's one quick little buggy.
Old 11-05-05, 04:40 PM
LexFather

POLL TIME!!!
And welcome to CL

Old 11-06-05, 09:15 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
POLL TIME!!!
And welcome to CL
Go get the saab just I hope you dont get any... ideas of getting into motorsports. You will be sorry you got the saab instead of the SC300 if that happens.

Main difference with me is im not one to shy away if simple repairs are needed.