Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

300 c srt-8

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 08:40 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300 c srt-8

I spoke to a local salesman a while back, and said to give me a call when one came in. Well earlier this week one did, and today I went to check the car out. My review

Exterior: It is unfortunately a common car these days (300c). But still has a excellent presence about the huge grille, and on this model had the large 20 inch 8 spoke wheels. The wheels were not chrome though. Had brembo brakes front and back, and a lower front and rear bumper valance. It was a nice black color with of course a new car shine. Had hid projector lights which were nice.

Interior. This is where I was kinda excited about. I knew they were similar on the outside, and well... very similar on the inside. The back of the seats have the srt logo embroidered into them, and it adds a lil touch. The seats were very cozy, and really hug your body. Being a bigger guy (6'2") I had plenty of leg room, and it seems to be 6 way adjustable seats with lumbar support. Has memory seats on the door near the speaker grille. The dash had navigation, but thats it. Nothing special at all, nothing fancy, not even digital a/c. Just not a special interior to say the least. The arm rest seemed to sit back too far, and you literally had to move your body to open it up at all! It did however register 180! weeeeeee! The steering wheel was nice, and wrapped in leather with a few controls for stereo and other accessories. The back seat was by far the biggest drag. Nothing back there at all. Just leather seats. No digital reading, no a/c vents on the back of the front seat arm rests. Nothing. Just a general fold down cup holder. I just was not impressed.

Did not get to drive it yet, but overall for a sticker price of 46,565 and a mark up of 3,000 for a hard to find vehicle...49,5k....NO WAY!

Comments,questions?
Old 11-02-05, 08:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by fireballs gs400
I spoke to a local salesman a while back, and said to give me a call when one came in. Well earlier this week one did, and today I went to check the car out. My review

Exterior: It is unfortunately a common car these days (300c). But still has a excellent presence about the huge grille, and on this model had the large 20 inch 8 spoke wheels. The wheels were not chrome though. Had brembo brakes front and back, and a lower front and rear bumper valance. It was a nice black color with of course a new car shine. Had hid projector lights which were nice.

Interior. This is where I was kinda excited about. I knew they were similar on the outside, and well... very similar on the inside. The back of the seats have the srt logo embroidered into them, and it adds a lil touch. The seats were very cozy, and really hug your body. Being a bigger guy (6'2") I had plenty of leg room, and it seems to be 6 way adjustable seats with lumbar support. Has memory seats on the door near the speaker grille. The dash had navigation, but thats it. Nothing special at all, nothing fancy, not even digital a/c. Just not a special interior to say the least. The arm rest seemed to sit back too far, and you literally had to move your body to open it up at all! It did however register 180! weeeeeee! The steering wheel was nice, and wrapped in leather with a few controls for stereo and other accessories. The back seat was by far the biggest drag. Nothing back there at all. Just leather seats. No digital reading, no a/c vents on the back of the front seat arm rests. Nothing. Just a general fold down cup holder. I just was not impressed.

Did not get to drive it yet, but overall for a sticker price of 46,565 and a mark up of 3,000 for a hard to find vehicle...49,5k....NO WAY!

Comments,questions?
Not a bad review. Hmmm, a 3000k markup? Guess those bastards forgot when people avoided their dealerships like the plauge, so time to milk people now. I think for 47k, this is a very tough car to beat, clearly, THE American car to buy and if you want power in a sedan, a tough car to beat. Yeah the interior is average but who expects it to be world class?

As for popularity, you have never lied, I see about 500 of these things daily, from stock to 22" rims, its a VERY popular car and its styling does make it stand out, not to mention its the size of a small building.

I really like the wheels on the SRT-8, its a good looking car. And the SRT-8 for some reason reminds me less of a fake ballar trying to front like its a Bentley. The SRT-8 is AWESOME on its own merits (the 300C is fine too).

I have to give props to Chyrsler these 3 triplets are really doing their thing (Magnum and Charger as well)

Old 11-02-05, 08:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fireballs gs400

Comments,questions?
Doesn't worth it at all. Fifty grand for a chrysler with taurus interior? Give me a freaking break, I'd get a camry and put 25K worth of mods in it before that crap.
Old 11-02-05, 08:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

50K after mark up?? M3 or CTSv please!!

Not saying that the SRT8 is a bad car, but 50K is crazy. I hate when dealerships give me that stupid adjusted for market value crap. No car brand new should be worth more than MSRP...well maybe if you are talknig about exotics such as Lambo and Ferrari where waiting lists can be YEARS.

But my experience with the 300 is basically the same as yours(mine was a regular 300C) Nice outside and nice layout inside, but man, some very cheap materials, and yes there really isnt anything special about the layout. Its very simple, but I found easy to use. The Toyota Camry of the full size class.

My neighbor just bought a black on black SRT8, and my god, the exhaust note is rediculous. Its a tough *** car.
Old 11-03-05, 04:25 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I would def go with a barely used M3, or 2003-2005 M5
Old 11-03-05, 04:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree it is not worth 50K, especially with the junk that Chrysler uses for body, trim, hardware, and switchgear. Yes, it has a kick-*** engine and Brembo brakes, but so what? So do a lot of cars. You can get Brembo brakes on some cars at less than half that price....like the Neon SRT4.
The 6.2L SRT8 Hemi, unlike the smaller 5.7L Hemi, does not have cylinder-deactivation feature that cuts off fuel to one bank of four cylinders during cruise to save fuel...the engineers couldn't find a way to install it with the 6.2L's other modifications.
And last ( though, admittedly, this might not bother you like it would me ) the SRT8 has a much stiffer suspension and tires than the regular Hemi 300C...probably too stiff for my tastes. Some people, though, want a rock-hard suspension and tires.
Old 11-03-05, 01:08 PM
Swifty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oooh yah...i want one

Old 11-03-05, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by genearch
Another case of a Pig with lipstick. This time the lipstick being 425hp.

Like we need more of these things on the road. Hideously ugly and every one seems to have the wanna be Bentley grill and 22" wheels....
Well, genearch....that oversized grille, like it or not, is selling these cars left and right....with or without the Hemi or the SRT8 Hemi.. This car......and the equally flimsy and cheaply-made Mustang.....has simpy taken the American public by storm, regardless of what we here in CAR CHAT think.

And after driving both the 300C and the Magnum Hemi, I CAN tell you one thing......these cars may have junk for hardware but they DO have a CHASSIS........thanks to Mercedes.
Old 11-04-05, 07:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree it is not worth 50K, especially with the junk that Chrysler uses for body, trim, hardware, and switchgear.
Well it seems AutoWeek disagrees. Quote:

Most owners praise Chrysler for the car's overall build quality, with decent panel fits and high quality materials used through. To this point, one owner sums it up: "Inside, the overall tactile quality and layout is without peer for this car's price range."

Old 11-04-05, 11:41 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Most owners praise Chrysler for the car's overall build quality, with decent panel fits and high quality materials used through. To this point, one owner sums it up: "Inside, the overall tactile quality and layout is without peer for this car's price range."

ehhhh....like I said above....I can say its layout is great. Simple, easy to use, and it looks great, but the quality of the materials is lacking behind those used in Toyota/Lexus. The hallow hard plastic is unbelieveable. THe models that I have driven, under careful observation, most panel gaps are pretty tight. Not all though, for example the glovebox, and certain parts of the dash werent as tight as others, but all in all its a great achievement for the domestics. I hope they can keep it up.
Old 11-04-05, 11:44 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And after driving both the 300C and the Magnum Hemi, I CAN tell you one thing......these cars may have junk for hardware but they DO have a CHASSIS........thanks to Mercedes.

yep for such a big heavy car, it really did shock me at how well this car handles. Not all entirely flat, but it feels solid. Like a tank. Plus the suspension doesnt float and wallow all over the place. Very nicely controlled.
Old 11-05-05, 06:49 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

so is this car better than a gs430 except for the heap materials, honestly. i like the look of these cars but i wouldnt buy one i always think nice car but not luxury car and for that kind of money def. not an option. i see so many it makes me sick
Old 11-05-05, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Fine.....they have their opinions ( which I respect )...and I have mine. After driving both the 300 and Magnum, I find them both to have a first-rate chassis ( Mercedes-derived, of course ) and third-rate hardware. What gives the 300 ( especially the top versions) its glittery looks is essentially cheap plastic coated with a lot of flash.

When you see what Lexus offers for $45,000-50,000 in the new GS430 and GS300 AWD lines and their absolutely superb quality and workmanship inside and out ( even if they don't have 425 HP ) there is no question where my money would go if I was going to put 50K into a car.
And....that same money would buy TWO Subaru Legacy / Outbacks ( maybe his and hers? )....another superb car for the money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-05-05 at 07:33 AM.