Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Avalon Pursuit (Cop Car)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 08:10 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I doubt any community besides the really wealthy ones with money to blow down the drain would opt for the body kit, wide-body fenders, and black alloy's with polished lips. They'd prolly go standard avalon with no aero pieces and steel wheels. Police cars are generally practical... they need to stand up to A LOT of abuse. I imagine if they need to play bumper-cars with a fleeing suspect, that body kit would be gooooone.

Otherwise, BAD AZZ car. They should offer these mods to the general public though. Pure hawtness.
Old 11-05-05, 08:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

A town over from me in New Jersey used a few BMW M3's(E36). I think they now converted them into D.A.R.E. cars.
Old 11-06-05, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

An Avalon Police package may look good on paper or in a show atmosphere like that, but in the real world, with a few exceptions, such as in KING7Two's area, unibody, front-drive cars just don't cut it with the police. They want big, roomy cars with V8's, large rear seats for prisoners and dogs, and body-on-frame chassis durability for the punishment that these cars sometime have to endure both on and off-road.
This is why police departments coast-to-coast overwhelming choose the Ford Crown Vic...and why GM was foolish to discontinue their full-size body-on-frame rear-drive Caprice that competed with the Crown Vic in the police market....even though it was done to free up plant space for trucks and SUV's. GM tried to save face after doing this by offering front-drive Impala and SUV Tahoe police vehicles, but the police weren't fooled....no take. I don't think Toyota would have any more success marketing an Avalon copmobile as Chevy did with front-drives.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-06-05 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-06-05, 01:03 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
An Avalon Police package may look good on paper or in a show atmosphere like that, but in the real world, with a few exceptions, such as in KING7Two's area, unibody, front-drive cars just don't cut it with the police. They want big, roomy cars with V8's, large rear seats for prisoners and dogs, and body-on-frame chassis durability for the punishment that these cars sometime have to endure both on and off-road.
This is why police departments coast-to-coast overwhelming choose the Ford Crown Vic...and why GM was foolish to discontinue their full-size body-on-frame rear-drive Caprice that competed with the Crown Vic in the police market....even though it was done to free up plant space for trucks and SUV's. GM tried to save face after doing this by offering front-drive Impala and SUV Tahoe police vehicles, but the police weren't fooled....no take. I don't think Toyota would have any more success marketing an Avalon copmobile as Chevy did with front-drives.
toyota didn't build it

HOTCHKIS AVALON PURSUIT CONCEPT
Prototype exterior & interior designed by Stewart Reed Design
Clay modeled, cast, fabricated & painted by Special Projects Inc.
15-piece custom made prototype Sport Avalon body kit
Sapphire black metallic paint with ultra fine silver police car motif & CHP “California Highway Patrol” markings
911EP Low profile Galaxy LED light bar, front grille undercover LS12 LED light, rear amber LED traffic director & warning light
Yokohama Advan Sport 245x35x20 tires with Zink Z9 20x8.5 wheels by The Tire Rack
911EP undercover LS12 mirror mounted LED light
Watch Guard front & rear facing DVD digital video cameras
Hand held light control, PA & siren by Carson “Carson Stealth SC-550”
911EP LED control boxes in hide-away panel
Plexiglass divider for front & rear compartments

unless toyota asked them to do it
Old 11-06-05, 01:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Doesn't really matter who built it.....the end result will usually be the same. In most cases police departments aren't going to want a unibody V6 front-driver.
Old 11-06-05, 07:21 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

In Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana... i have seen MANY MANY fwd Impala police cars though. I'd say at the least, 40% of cop cars I see are Impalas. But yea, I completely agree that the boat-like crown vics are more suited to police use. I wonder if they are planning to redesign the Crown/Marquis/TC anytime soon. Although I heard the basic chasis is the same since the 70's.

But I think hotchkis needs to offer the body pieces on the general market though!
Old 11-06-05, 08:41 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this just proves that the new Avalon can look pretty mean when modded, any other pics of modded Avalons?
Old 11-07-05, 01:43 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

This makes me think if Toyota or Nissan would develop a RWD application for the US law enforcement market. Way off...a police package GS would be
Old 11-07-05, 02:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

damn, just saw this thread, that's one hot avalon!
Old 11-07-05, 04:26 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by chuckb
this just proves that the new Avalon can look pretty mean when modded, any other pics of modded Avalons?

Last edited by xioix; 11-07-05 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-07-05, 04:32 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Doesn't really matter who built it.....the end result will usually be the same. In most cases police departments aren't going to want a unibody V6 front-driver.
Very true. I know here in Southern California several departments opted to rebuild and restore their older caprices rather than replace them with the FF Impalas. In my opinion, a very wise choice on their part.
Old 11-07-05, 05:05 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

sure doesn't look like grandmas car to me

Old 11-07-05, 05:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Looks good, I like it
Old 11-07-05, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
In Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana... i have seen MANY MANY fwd Impala police cars though. I'd say at the least, 40% of cop cars I see are Impalas. But yea, I completely agree that the boat-like crown vics are more suited to police use.
!

In some areas you'll find some FWD police cars, but generally police departments don't want them and only drive them if the politicians dictate it.

The police-spec Crown Vic, by the way, is considerably less boat-like than the civilian one, and even the civilian ones have gotten newer, firmer suspensions in the last few years.
Old 11-07-05, 06:44 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

that car is beautiful i love that color

Quick Reply: Toyota Avalon Pursuit (Cop Car)