Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura CSX (New Civic rebadge) Go Canada thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-05, 11:34 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Ok, just to clear this up a little.

Current Canadian Acura EL is based on US Civic EX, which is Civic SI in Canada. The US Civic SI is SIR in Canada.

The CSX will be based on US EX or Canadian SI.
Clears that up. Yea I figured they wouldn't release a Coupe or Si version because it would steal sales from the RSX (-S)
Old 11-06-05, 11:49 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the RSX getting dropped now that the '06 Civic Si is 200hp with LSD? Seems kind of redundant to have the '06 Si, CSX, TSX, and the RSX(-s).
Old 11-06-05, 11:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Clears that up. Yea I figured they wouldn't release a Coupe or Si version because it would steal sales from the RSX (-S)
I wouldn't be surprised if the RSX will be permanently discontinued after this generation. First of all it doesn't sell, and second it gets spanked in every way by the new Civic SI.

I for one miss the old Integra.

Old 11-06-05, 12:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Now if acura was smart, they would ditch away with RSX, and sell the SI with leather seats, and introduce two coupes, one based on TSX and one based on TL.

Oh yeah, and the new NSX plz.
Old 11-06-05, 01:06 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Now if acura was smart, they would ditch away with RSX, and sell the SI with leather seats, and introduce two coupes, one based on TSX and one based on TL.

Oh yeah, and the new NSX plz.
It's already been announced that Acura is dropping the RSX. The Si already comes with suede seats. I don't think it really matters what a car like the Si has for interior seating surfaces, the car will still sell faster than dealers can get them in. If Acura introduced a TSX coupe, it would just be another RSX. Rumor has it though that the CL will be back and there are talks of developing an RL coupe to fill the huge gap with the next NSX. Then there is also the rumor of a sedan slotted above the RL. I'm hoping to see some big debuts from Acura around the start of the next decade.
Old 11-06-05, 01:20 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
It's already been announced that Acura is dropping the RSX. The Si already comes with suede seats. I don't think it really matters what a car like the Si has for interior seating surfaces, the car will still sell faster than dealers can get them in. If Acura introduced a TSX coupe, it would just be another RSX. Rumor has it though that the CL will be back and there are talks of developing an RL coupe to fill the huge gap with the next NSX. Then there is also the rumor of a sedan slotted above the RL. I'm hoping to see some big debuts from Acura around the start of the next decade.
That's so long for the to wait though. I don't think it would be smart to place a coupe between the RL and NSX. The NSX is in a category of there own really so we don't expect steps in between.
I was unaware the RSX was getting dropped. So there's no replacement in the Acura line? It's going to be strange without having an Acura coupe. The CSX will most likely never make it to the States. We'll see what's going to happen. I thought the RSX sold pretty well but I guess not.
Old 11-06-05, 03:40 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koma
That's so long for the to wait though. I don't think it would be smart to place a coupe between the RL and NSX. The NSX is in a category of there own really so we don't expect steps in between.
I was unaware the RSX was getting dropped. So there's no replacement in the Acura line? It's going to be strange without having an Acura coupe. The CSX will most likely never make it to the States. We'll see what's going to happen. I thought the RSX sold pretty well but I guess not.
Well from what I've heard, with the NSX planned to be so outrageous, having just a CL coupe would create a huge gap in performance in the Acura line. So I guess the RL coupe or whatever coupe it might be would make that gap a bit smaller. I'm expecting something along the lines of a 6-series. Who knows, maybe they will even offer a convertible of it also like the other cars in that class. Its all just wishfull thinking right now.

The RSX is getting dropped without a replacement. Hence why the return of the CL is likely. Acura needs at least one sports coupe to still be considered performance orientated IMO. Sales wise the RSX wasn't exactly in the slumps. The main reason for Acura discontinuing the RSX is to move the brand more upscale.
Old 11-06-05, 03:46 PM
LexFather

All I've heard is another 4-cylinder, made in America Acura, SUV the RD-X happening, another below entry level product. We have heard the NSX V-10 rumors but I'll wait. Then they said, no V-8 in the immediate future, possibly 2011, which is, lol.

I didn't hear them discontinuing the RSX, but I can see it, as the Civic interior is very nice and in Si form, has almost as much power as a RSX-Type S.

Old 11-06-05, 04:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Och has it correct....the real problem was that they got rid of the Integra......IMO one of the best small cars ever produced. It was, for a small car, literally a Jack-of all-Trades.....refined, sporty, luxurious, agile, economical, reasonably powerful ( especially the GS-R ), and literally built like a Swiss watch.....very impressive. And, to top it off, like the Civics and the Mitsubishi Eclipse, it was a real hit with the tuners and the caps-on-backward crowd.

The RSX? I, for one, won't miss it. I'm not saying it is a POS...it certainly is not, but neither, IMO, can it equal the Integra in so many ways....even its own sedan brother, the TSX, is far more impressive. Compared to the Integra, the RSX looks and feels cheap...especially inside, and, while well-built, it simply doesn't have that solid workmanship and Swiss-watch feel that the Integra did. One of my closest friends at work has a 1994 Integra sedan....( the first of the the ones with the four small headlights ). Even after 12 years, the switchgear and hardware on it feels and operates like the day it was built.
Old 11-06-05, 05:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Och has it correct....the real problem was that they got rid of the Integra......IMO one of the best small cars ever produced. It was, for a small car, literally a Jack-of all-Trades.....refined, sporty, luxurious, agile, economical, reasonably powerful ( especially the GS-R ), and literally built like a Swiss watch.....very impressive. And, to top it off, like the Civics and the Mitsubishi Eclipse, it was a real hit with the tuners and the caps-on-backward crowd.

The RSX? I, for one, won't miss it. I'm not saying it is a POS...it certainly is not, but neither, IMO, can it equal the Integra in so many ways....even its own sedan brother, the TSX, is far more impressive. Compared to the Integra, the RSX looks and feels cheap...especially inside, and, while well-built, it simply doesn't have that solid workmanship and Swiss-watch feel that the Integra did. One of my closest friends at work has a 1994 Integra sedan....( the first of the the ones with the four small headlights ). Even after 12 years, the switchgear and hardware on it feels and operates like the day it was built.
Great points. I would like to add, while Honda was pretty alone in the sporty car sub 25k market back in the 90s, well today for the same price or a lil more, you can get real sports cars or cars comparable to the competition
350Z
WRX
EVO
Neon SRT-4
Scion Tc
Madza RX-8
etc etc let alone getting a used G35c or something

B/c for the price of a current RSX, well, its outmatched. Funny thing is, it still does very well in comparisons. But I think in this case, while everyone is going RWD or AWD, Honda sticking to FWD will either hurt or keep growth stagnant.

Hell a RSX-A-spec, which is just a kit, wheels, a drop is 29k!! For 29k, forget about it. You can jump a couple thousand and get a S2000!

Old 11-06-05, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hell a RSX-A-spec, which is just a kit, wheels, a drop is 29k!! For 29k, forget about it. You can jump a couple thousand and get a S2000!
Yes, and the RSX, even in A-Spec, is basically just a small FWD sports coupe...though the handling is good by FWD standards. But.......the S2000 is a real, hard-edged, no-compromise RWD sports car.....on a track it will run circles around an RSX.
Old 11-06-05, 05:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, and the RSX, even in A-Spec, is basically just a small FWD sports coupe...though the handling is good by FWD standards. But.......the S2000 is a real, hard-edged, no-compromise RWD sports car.....on a track it will run circles around an RSX.
S2000 is a gorgeous machine

Old 11-06-05, 05:54 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Even comparing the S2000 to the RSX makes me sad for the RSX. They are are absolutely in different universes when it comes to being "sports cars". The RSX was a fun car, but like mmarshall said I certainly won't miss it like I did the Integra. Actually there is an Integra for sale locally here that I almost want to buy just to work/beat on.
Old 11-06-05, 07:31 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

So many thoughts to share on this thread...

The S2K should have been an Acura, plain and simple. From the beginning, Acura was billed as the "performance and luxury division of American Honda Motor Company". The S2K is the best-performing Honda since the NSX, and should DEFINITELY have been given the Acura nameplate in the N.A. market. It would have given the A badge some much-needed excitement, that's for sure...

Mmarshall hit the nail on the head referring to the Integra. Every generation was a winner, but he summed it up best when he said the last generation GS-R was one of the best small cars ever built. In fact, with all the talk earlier about hatchbacks, I found myself missing my old GS-R!

And while the CSX may never make it to the States, and may sell like hotcakes north of the border, I'm disappointed to see that this is the kind of product Acura is putting their effort into. They've only got so many engineers and so much money for R&D, so I hate to see them fritter it away on vehicles that don't really advance the brand.
Old 11-06-05, 07:41 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Acura needs to bring back a CL. Something in the middle of the lineup. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. If it wasn't for the infamous TL & CL transmissions, I'd have one

I, too, miss the Integra a lot. I'm not very old, so it was definitely the car that I wanted and counted the days until I got my license for.

Why do you, or do you not think that this car would sell in the US?

Quick Reply: Acura CSX (New Civic rebadge) Go Canada thread