Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura CSX (New Civic rebadge) Go Canada thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 08:09 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Seems to me, though, that that would be like saying that the Mazda RX-8 and Nissan 350Z should not have been sold under low-priced nameplates either, except that in Mazda's case, they have no premium division like Honda / Acura, and Infiniti already sells a version of he 350Z...the G35 coupe.

And should we rename the Ford GT the Mercury or Lincoln GT? Or the Chevy Corvette the Cadillac Corvette ? ( Though the XLR may fill that role ). Or do a Lexus Supra instead of a Toyota Supra?
It's heritage that keeps the names in those nameplates. People would be pretty apalled if they moved a car that was known in that nameplate to another one. You might duplicate the car in another brand but it will not have the same fan base as the original. As for the GT-R it's a new car in the States so it doesn't really matter where they put it. Is it even going to be named Skyline GT-R? It wouldn't make sense to because we don't have base model Skylines (well they're not named that.)
Old 11-08-05, 08:56 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
It's heritage that keeps the names in those nameplates. People would be pretty apalled if they moved a car that was known in that nameplate to another one. You might duplicate the car in another brand but it will not have the same fan base as the original. As for the GT-R it's a new car in the States so it doesn't really matter where they put it. Is it even going to be named Skyline GT-R? It wouldn't make sense to because we don't have base model Skylines (well they're not named that.)

Dunno - it will probably be "GT-R", but whether it's Nissan Skyline GT-R or just Infiniti GT-R is anyon'es guess.
Old 11-08-05, 10:18 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by picus
Dunno - it will probably be "GT-R", but whether it's Nissan Skyline GT-R or just Infiniti GT-R is anyon'es guess.
It's not going to really matter as heritage isn't a factor over here as it's new and people know it's roots. So whatever the outcome it still will sell and I don't think it will bring either brand down.
Old 11-08-05, 02:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Koma
Nissan uses the SKyline name still, on a sedan and coupe.
Infiniti slapped some badges on it and calls it the G35.
Nissan will use the GT-R name only, on another supercar.
More than likely, it will be a Nissan GT-R in Japan and overseas.
In America, Infiniti will slap some more badges on it and call it the O-45 or whatever lame letters are left in the alphabet.

Ya'll do know, outside 14 year old kids and a few people on the internet, NO ONE know what the hell a Skyline or a Skyline GT-R is. And most people that know what it is, can't afford it.

Old 11-08-05, 03:52 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ya'll do know, outside 14 year old kids and a few people on the internet, NO ONE know what the hell a Skyline or a Skyline GT-R is. And most people that know what it is, can't afford it.
I think that qualifies in America, but not elsewhere. In many other countries Skyline is a well known name. I personally think the GT-R will show up in North American as an Infiniti GT-R, considering they've copyrighted the name. I honestly don't care how they brand it, all I care about is whether it's good or not.
Old 11-08-05, 05:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
I think that qualifies in America, but not elsewhere. In many other countries Skyline is a well known name. I personally think the GT-R will show up in North American as an Infiniti GT-R, considering they've copyrighted the name. I honestly don't care how they brand it, all I care about is whether it's good or not.
I am pretty sure the performance will be staggering, whatever the name. I just hope people buy it. The Q45 never sold well and I am scared a 70k Infiniit or whatever the price of it will make potential buyers scoff and go to the usual Porsche dealer. It happened to the Acura NSX. Superb car, no brand.

Old 11-08-05, 08:45 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

I am pretty sure the performance will be staggering, whatever the name. I just hope people buy it. The Q45 never sold well and I am scared a 70k Infiniit or whatever the price of it will make potential buyers scoff and go to the usual Porsche dealer. It happened to the Acura NSX. Superb car, no brand.
Aside for brand recognition, the NSX had three major things going for it that caused people to opt for a 911 over the NSX:

1.) The NSX is significantly more expensive than the 911.
2.) The 911 has a back seat. Whether usefull or not, just being able to claim "backseat" will do a lot for who does and does not buy the car.
3.) INSURANCE. Insurance on the NSX is outrageous compared to a 911 (trust me, I know personally).

In the end, it was the Porsche name that sold the car over Acura. But like with any other lesser brand, people will almost always opt for the Porsche. Just like when the LF-A comes out, most people will opt for the more prestigous brand over the Lexus. I have a feeling that the same will be true for the next NSX as well though it will probably sell in somewhat better numbers overall compared to the current NSX.
Old 11-08-05, 09:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Agreed.
Old 11-09-05, 05:28 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed. I think it will all depend on pricing. What the price will be is anyone's guess, and as I am sure you're aware there is much speculation. It'll be tough for them to sell a ~$70k car under either brand name. Either way it's a lofty undertaking - from 50k-100k there are cars that are going to be pretty tough to "beat", M3, Cayman-S, C6, Z06, 911 - it's a pretty intimidating list.

Anyway sorry for the OT. Back to the CSX!