Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Announces New RX 400h Hybrid Model, New Pricing on RX 400h Luxury Gas/Electric

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 05:33 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Lexus Announces New RX 400h Hybrid Model, New Pricing on RX 400h Luxury Gas/Electric

11/07/2005 Torrance, CA

Lexus announced today the addition of a front-wheel drive (FWD) RX 400h in addition to the all-wheel drive (AWD) model which has been on sale since April of this year, making the hybrid gas/electric version of America's most popular luxury SUV, the RX 330, now available in both drivetrain configurations.

With a combined system output of 268 horsepower, the RX 400h FWD delivers zero-to-60 mph acceleration in 7.5 seconds, better than many V8-powered mid-size luxury SUV competitors, but with fuel efficiency more typical of a 4-cylinder compact sedan.

"Consumers in certain parts of the country, mostly in southern markets, told us they don't need the added handling benefits of all-wheel drive and would be more inclined to consider a front-drive hybrid-powered version of the RX," said Bob Carter, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "The new RX hybrids offer an even better value and we believe both models will be very well received by our customers."

Both the AWD and new FWD versions incorporate a new, advanced Lexus Hybrid System that combines the 3.3-liter V6 engine found in the Lexus RX 330 with a high-torque electric-drive motor-generator. Both models also come equipped with the industry's most advanced stability control system called Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM).

The EPA-estimated combined fuel economy rating for the front-drive RX 400h is 30 mpg. EPA-estimated highway fuel economy is 28 mpg, and at 33 mpg the city rating for the RX 400h exceeds most V8-equipped luxury SUVs by more than 100 percent. As with the AWD version, the RX 400h FWD carries the EPA's Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) certification.

The new RX 400h FWD will carry a base Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $44,660. Production began November 1 with vehicles scheduled to arrive at dealership in late December.

In response to consumer feedback on standard equipment levels of the RX 400h AWD, the Lexus DVD navigation system with rear back-up camera will now be offered as optional equipment. As a result, the base MSRP for the 2007 RX 400h AWD is now $46,060, a decrease of $2,350 or 4.9 percent beginning with November production.

Both AWD and FWD models include a standard list of luxury and performance features, including leather interior trim, power-tilt/telescoping steering wheel, roof rack with rails, illuminated entry system, a one-touch open/close moonroof, six-disc CD changer, HID headlamps with the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), electrically powered air conditioning, 18-inch wheels and an eight-year/100,000-mile battery and hybrid system warranty.

Credit: Lexus USA
Old 11-08-05, 05:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Interesting...Bob Carter has made changes to satisfy demand.
Old 11-08-05, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There may be a number of different reasons why potential customers would want an RX hybrid....emissions, political correctness, anti-SUV peer pressure, or just a general interest in the latest powertrain technology and a demand to keep up with the Jones'es. But in all honesty I can't see where economy or gas mileage would be one of them. Hybrids traditionally cost substantially more than their non-hybrid versions, and even then the manufacturers in some cass have been losing money on them ( they won't divulge just how much ) due simply to the high cost of production....even higher than the MSRP's. ( of course, that is not necessarily the case at dealerships, where, with waiting lines for them, they ask for and often get big markups on hybrids).
So ....back to gas mileage. Even at the factory prices BEFORE the dealer mark-ups, considering the amount of gas that must be saved ( even at today's higher gas prices ) just to equal the difference between the hybrid and non-hybrid versions, it will in general take a long time to make up the difference in cost, especially with the premium gas this vehicle is likely to need. With most hybrids it averages around seven to eight years.....and then that is just about the time that the warranties on the heavy and expensive battery packs will expire.
In addition, though of course interior trim is a matter of taste, I personally am not very impressed with the RX400H's lack of wood trim inside.....IMO it looks out of of place in a Lexus, altough many of the first-generation IS300's were this way.

So....in a nutshell, I'm not necessarily bad-mouthing this vehicle or trying to talk people out of buying one, ( and there may be legitimate reasons for buying one ) but I have to point out that short-term economy or interior plushness do not seem to be among those reasons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-08-05 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-08-05, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

imho this is a good move. afterall they sell tons of RX here in cali, and we don't really need awd. so why pay the extra cash
Old 11-08-05, 01:48 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"( of course, that is not necessarily the case at dealerships, where, with waiting lines for them, they ask for and often get big markups on hybrids)."

So, at least right now, the only people coming out on top financially from hybrids are the dealers ("middlemen"), but not the consumers or the manufacturers?

If so, manufacturer should decrease the gap between invoice and MSRP.

For example, the current invoice of an RX400h is $43,700 and the MSRP is $49,000. Instead, make the invoice $45,000 and the MSRP $48,000.

That way, more profit goes back to the manufacturer and consumers pay less. The car will sell at MSRP (Lexus dealers aren't allowed to charge more than MSRP), and a $4000 profit to the dealer (including holdback) is still very good.

But Lexus dealerships have always been allowed to have the largest MSRP/Invoice gaps, so the chances of that happening is nil.

Last edited by jrock65; 11-08-05 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 02:27 PM
LexFather

Wow, they are adapting quickly here. I dont think any of us saw a FWD RX 400h coming. Wow.

Thing is, it kinds confuses things, as I thought Lexus intended the hybrids to be the Top of each model's foodchain?

Oh well, Lexus is leading again

Old 11-08-05, 02:27 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

This is really great to hear about. I say this not only due to the fact that there is now FWD available, but like flip said, it has been in response to what customers have been telling Lexus. Amazing, a car company that actually listens AND delivers, according to what the people who pay them are saying.

James
Old 11-08-05, 02:35 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good move-AWD is useless in southern states, especially flat florida.
Old 11-08-05, 05:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, they are adapting quickly here. I dont think any of us saw a FWD RX 400h coming. Wow.

Thing is, it kinds confuses things, as I thought Lexus intended the hybrids to be the Top of each model's foodchain?

Oh well, Lexus is leading again
i can see what you mean mike. i think having everything else is ok, but forcing awd to be on the car is a bit too much. that's really money wasted imho.

personally i hope/wish/curse that they will offer rwd and awd options for the ls600h as well (maybe too 450h too), that will attract more market imho.

after all, i am still a bit concerned, with ls600h being awd, can i put staggered wheels on it...
Old 11-08-05, 05:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
i can see what you mean mike. i think having everything else is ok, but forcing awd to be on the car is a bit too much. that's really money wasted imho.

personally i hope/wish/curse that they will offer rwd and awd options for the ls600h as well (maybe too 450h too), that will attract more market imho.

after all, i am still a bit concerned, with ls600h being awd, can i put staggered wheels on it...
Henry, you made me giggle with the staggered wheels comment. It is a good point and shows how u are ready to mod.

Yeah, I also want to know if a hybrid GS 600h is coming, since it uses the same engine as the LS 460. I hope they offer V-6 and V-8 GS hybrids.

Hmmm, RWD and AWD hybrids.

Its confusing, I thought for sure the GS 450h would be AWD, but its RWD. So I guess th LS hybrid can be both?

Old 11-08-05, 06:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Henry, you made me giggle with the staggered wheels comment. It is a good point and shows how u are ready to mod.

Yeah, I also want to know if a hybrid GS 600h is coming, since it uses the same engine as the LS 460. I hope they offer V-6 and V-8 GS hybrids.

Hmmm, RWD and AWD hybrids.

Its confusing, I thought for sure the GS 450h would be AWD, but its RWD. So I guess th LS hybrid can be both?
wait, hold on there mike, i admit i didn't read all the details,but the gs450h is not awd? man there is always hope!

and yea, of course i am ready for mods. seriously, if one day i get the new ls600h or so, i hope all mods go in the week i get the car!
Old 11-13-05, 07:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
wait, hold on there mike, i admit i didn't read all the details,but the gs450h is not awd? man there is always hope!

and yea, of course i am ready for mods. seriously, if one day i get the new ls600h or so, i hope all mods go in the week i get the car!
No the GS 450h is RWD b/c RWD is the most entertaining and the proper way for a sporty sedan/car.

Old 11-14-05, 12:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

No the GS 450h is RWD b/c RWD is the most entertaining and the proper way for a sporty sedan/car.
oh please......... tell lexus that the LS is also a sport sedan
Old 11-14-05, 10:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,549 Posts

That must be why a Porsche 911 Turbo and an Audi RS4 is all wheel drive. At least the Porsche (dunno about the Audi) is setup staggered from the factory though.
Old 11-14-05, 01:21 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That must be why a Porsche 911 Turbo and an Audi RS4 is all wheel drive. At least the Porsche (dunno about the Audi) is setup staggered from the factory though.
Not to mention the Skyline GT-R...

Quick Reply: Lexus Announces New RX 400h Hybrid Model, New Pricing on RX 400h Luxury Gas/Electric