Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 C&D Top 10???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05 | 10:49 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

The Accord is clearly the benchmark in its class and deserves its first-place wins in nearly every comparo. It's got everything... power, handling, ergonomics, function, great interior, features, value. Personally, I like its styling over the Camry, but I think the Sonata has the best exterior styling in this class.

Interior-wise, it's no contest both in materials and design ... the Accord is head and shoulders above the rest. Recent Accords need to work on some build quality issues though. Lots of complaints about rattles.
Old 11-09-05 | 12:24 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

^^^

I was referring more to Toyota, specifically sales-wise domination. Moreover, It's fair to say that the Camry/Corolla/LS/RX dominate their respective classes in terms of sales. In terms of driving signficance, I seem to remember that the 1G LS and the 1G SC made the Top 10 list...back then they were new, revolutionary even products. I think part of the appeal that led to the RX-8 being on the list existed back then for the SC 400. But now, Toyotas and Lexuses have become not necessarily the new fad but rather an established, sales charts dominating line of products. The intrinsic press bias like to find more unique, different products that are faddish and 'special.'

From Lexus, I think the IS, GS, and possibly the next LS or ES have strong chances. But the automotive press seemed to turn away from Lexus, perhaps during/because of the "dark years." But Lexus is more than BACK, but the automotive press is slow to catch on.
Old 11-09-05 | 12:42 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I cant understand how do utter POS like TSX and BMW 3 series make it on top of the lists? Imo first gen ES300 > than both of these put together.
The TSX and 3 series are not utter POS. Just because you were not that impressed does not make them POS. They are highly rated and get very good reviews and deserve to be on that list. You said the TSX ride was harsh and it was not very quick but you wanted to replace a 94 GS300 that has a torquier inline 6 and focuses more on luxury. The TSX is going to have a stiffer ride because the car is more focused on handling and being nimble. A 4 cylinder is going to feel slower then a 6 cylinder. Acura kept the 4 cylinder for lightweight, balance and nimbleness in the TSX and saved the six cylinder for the larger TL. The TSX has pretty good performance from its engine and I did not feel the TSX was slow unless you compare it to larger engined or FI cars but like most cars it could use more horsepower.

The 3 series is still the benchmark small sports sedan and most cars cannot touch its precise feel, feedback, handling. Even though I am dissapointed by the interior and feel it is overpriced I would not say it is a utter POS.
Many people on this site own or like other cars then Lexus including a few with or who owned a TSX and 3 series and just because there are things you did not like about them it is pretty harsh to call them or similiar cars POS. A POS would be a car that falls apart and breaks down all the time and never drives right not a car that is a little slower, rougher, or does not have as nice interior as someone expected. I drove a G35 sedan and I was impressed by somethings like the acceleration and some handling characteristics but I did not really care for the exterior or the interior but I would not call the car a POS because it is not and I don't want to offend anyone who likes the car or who owns the car. The G35 coupe is different and I would probrably have bought it based on that beautiful exterior alone and try not to focus on the interior too much. It sounds better to say why you did not like a car then just say it is a POS, sucks, or it is garbage etc.
Old 11-09-05 | 02:50 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Sure. Lets start with TSX.

I test drove it this summer when I was shopping for a car to replace the aging 94 GS300. Was very impressed with the cars looks and interior in the showroom, the wood trim looked gorgeous. But when I took it for a test drive, I was amazed on how harsh the ride was and how slow it was. What a disappointment.
Having a somewhat stiffer suspension doesn't mean it is a POS. My brother in law has an 05 TSX and I think it is a great car. Speed wise it is a little slower than my SC400, but still very impressive for a 200 HP 4 cylinder car. Fit and finish I would rank it higher than my wifes 04 RX330. Handling wise it blows away my SC400.

There is no way the 1st gen ES300 is better than a 3 series BMW or the TSX. My mom has a 92 ES300 and my sister has a 99 ES300. Compared to the 99 I would say it is good competition in terms of over all fit and finish and quality. The 92 ES300 though is a pice of crap in comparison.
Obvisouly everyone has their own bais and preferences, but we all need too be a little more objective as well.
Old 11-09-05 | 03:59 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

is that the actual order or alphabetical order???
Old 11-09-05 | 04:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

what is there to argue? I think everyone can at any time name at least 8 cars from C&D list, no matter how good they are or what changes...
Old 11-09-05 | 05:29 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Ya what he said ^.

It's the same thing every year. I really think most of them are reasonable picks (probably not my picks, but reasonable) except the RX-8. I really have no clue how that snuck on there.
Old 11-09-05 | 10:08 AM
ST430
Pole Position

C&D - Bimmers / Honduh lovers

MT - Nissan / Chevy lovers (with some Toyota love too)

Automobile - Chrysler / Euro lovers

I cancelled my subscription a long time ago because of these "preferences" in the magazines.
Old 11-09-05 | 10:25 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

CAR AND DRIVER is very look-biased and sportiness-biased. They tend to pick sporty and good looking vehicles. They almost completely neglect the practicality and comfort of a car. Therefore Lexus/Toyota could hardly get into the list because they are "boring" and although very practical and comfortable. Why 5-series is not on the list? They don't like the look of it, so even it is far better than E39 5-series, they still don't pick it. Everyone has their own opinions and preference, I am not here to judge this magazine, just want to say what I think their standards are.
Old 11-09-05 | 10:45 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

hmmm...so when did the G35 get the boot?? I hope the TSX didnt replace the G35 last year. Even though I'm not a big fan of the interior of the G or design of the Sedan, I think the G has a lot more going for it than the TSX.

Oh well. Its an okay list, and as posted above, most cars here were expected. Nothings changed.
Old 11-09-05 | 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Unless they are just suckered by the Mustang GT's retro-60's looks, I have to seriously question the Mustang, more than any other car on that list. Yes, it offers drag-strip performance, a lot of torque for not much cash, and the innovative color-adjustable dash lights, but its overall build quality, with the possible exception of the solid and durable rear-axle, is without question one of the worst I've seen from Ford. The interior has hardware, trim, and plastic so cheaply done that it is an insult to one's intelligence. The GT has bright dash trim....over the same cheap junk.
The hood feels ( and closes ) like a piece of cardboard...ditto for the trunk lid.

From the pre-production pictures, I considered this car as a purchase until I actually went and LOOKED at it. I was so turned-off I didn't even test-drive it. And to think there is a several-month waiting list and dealer markups.

That is not to say the car does not have ANY redeeming points. For Baby Boomers like me, it is the best effort yet at recapturing the 60's American Classic look....especially for the Mustang.
Old 11-09-05 | 11:29 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magneto112
hmmm...so when did the G35 get the boot?? I hope the TSX didnt replace the G35 last year. Even though I'm not a big fan of the interior of the G or design of the Sedan, I think the G has a lot more going for it than the TSX.

Oh well. Its an okay list, and as posted above, most cars here were expected. Nothings changed.
Here is the history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_and..._Ten_Best#2004

Looks like the G35 was replaced by the 300C - doesn't make sense since that's the full sized sedan category, but the TSX was on the list in 04 with the G35, and again in 05 - and the 3 series/M took the sports lux sedan category each year. So I dunno - their lists are whacky.

Last edited by picus; 11-09-05 at 11:37 AM.