Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MazdaSpeed6 sedan pushes performance, most powerful Mazda sold in U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 07:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default MazdaSpeed6 sedan pushes performance, most powerful Mazda sold in U.S.

MazdaSpeed6 sedan pushes performance; vehicle is most powerful Mazda ever sold in U.S., automaker says
MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 11/8/05

LOS ANGELES -- The 2006 MazdaSpeed6 is Mazda's attempt to create a sedan as dynamic as the BMW 3 series for a few thousand dollars less.

The basics: Rather than create 274 hp through engine displacement, Mazda instead used a turbocharger. The 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine is the first direct-injection engine Mazda has made. Direct injection allows Mazda to use the turbocharger to deliver low-end torque, rather than high-revving horsepower.

The MazdaSpeed6 all-wheel-drive system features "active torque split," which means engine power is sent to all wheels at all times. Mazda says that makes it different from many awd vehicles based on front-drive architecture, which use the rear wheels only when an assist is needed.

It takes 6.2 seconds to reach 60 mph, yet the MazdaSpeed6 gets 20 city and 26 highway mpg.

Notable features: With reinforced cross members, the MazdaSpeed6 is 50 percent more torsionally rigid than the standard Mazda6 sedan. Dynamic stability control is standard, but the driver can deactivate it.

What Mazda says: "This is the fastest-accelerating sedan Mazda has ever built," said Shiro Yoshioka, vice president of research and development for Mazda North American Operations. "It's the most powerful Mazda ever sold in America, and that includes the third-generation RX-7."

Compromises and shortcomings: Boy-racer features such as a body kit, alloy foot pedals, stiffened suspension and 18-inch wheels are standard. But leather seats, a moonroof and xenon headlamps cost extra. The only transmission is a six-speed manual, as engineers felt an automatic transmission would be inappropriate for such a vehicle.

Nuts and bolts: The MazdaSpeed6 will be built at the Hofu plant in Japan. Mazda plans to sell 12,000 units globally a year, with 5,000 of those units in the United States. Only the 300 certified MazdaSpeed dealers can sell the car, although service and warranty work can be done at any of 705 Mazda dealers. The vehicle began arriving in ports last month.

The skinny: Though acceleration is strong, power falls off a cliff from 5,500 rpm to the 6,700 rpm red line. The firm ride does not filter out road jounce as well as a BMW 3 series. The MazdaSpeed6 may be a better sport sedan than most competitors' efforts, but it can't beat BMW at its own game.
Old 11-08-05, 07:43 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been very anxious waiting for this car to come out. I think its a great compromise between having the midsize family sedan and something very sporty. I am dissapointed to see that power drops off with a whole 1200 RPM left to go to redline! Perhaps aftermarket ECU tuning can help this, but I have a feeling it is due to the flow restriction of the type of turbo it uses. However, this will be better for city driving and consequently you're not gonna have to wait till 3,500 rpms for het engine to get out of vacuum.

We need some pics!
Old 11-08-05, 09:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I see something wrong here:

"LOS ANGELES -- The 2006 MazdaSpeed6 is Mazda's attempt to create a sedan as dynamic as the BMW 3 series for a few thousand dollars less"

Until they turn the Mazda 6 to RWD, they'll never achieve that dynamic.
Old 11-10-05, 07:23 PM
LexFather

This car is late, and ain't this like the 5th Mazda press release about it.

It does spell sleeper though

Old 11-10-05, 08:35 PM
wiz2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This car is late, and ain't this like the 5th Mazda press release about it.

It does spell sleeper though
Word. Legacy Gt has alreaady captured this and the LGT has significant aftermarket support out of the box. I cant wait to see one on the highway.
Old 11-10-05, 08:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by wiz2
Word. Legacy Gt has alreaady captured this and the LGT has significant aftermarket support out of the box. I cant wait to see one on the highway.
Oh snap, we know how u feel about sleepers