Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: If you have to pick one or the other, which one, BMW or Mercedes Benz
BMW
63.64%
Mercedes Benz
36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Mercedes or BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
You are preaching to the choir my friend... many bash iDrive, yet have no real world experience with it...
Well, it's difficult to GET good real-world experience with a device that is so hard to use....and as a licensed pilot with Instrument training I am used to difficult concentration and co-ordination in the cockpit. I-Drive is more difficult to use in some cases then IFR flying conditions. Mercedes' COMAND and Audi's MMI, while not as bad as BMW's I-Drive, particularly the 7-series version, are no piece of cake either.

And, if you think WE'RE bashing this device, just read what the car mags have to say about it.....these are people who drive and test cars for a living.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-10-05 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-10-05, 02:40 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
People always say MB "bought out" Chrysler.

Actually, it was a merger of two big companies. MB couldn't "buy" a company as big as Chrysler if they wanted to. In fact, MB is having to cut costs everywhere just to stay ahead.

What Chrysler looks "Mercedes like" to you? Just wondering.
theres no model that looks like a MB but you can see the styling all over the place, thats why the chrysler cars look so good these days IMO and your right they did mege but who owns the majority interest and is calling the shots.
Old 11-10-05, 02:42 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

I like the styling of both. Reliabilty and handling I'd have to go with BMW. So if I had to choose, I'd probably end up with a bimmer
Old 11-10-05, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Seize
I like the styling of both. Reliabilty and handling I'd have to go with BMW. So if I had to choose, I'd probably end up with a bimmer
You're correct about the handling, Seize....Bimmers, even Chris Bangle ones, have always outhandled and outsteered M-B's.

What happened to the bulldog logo? I assume it was your pet. I've always liked bulldogs. I hope that poor dog didn't pass away. if so, my condolences.
Old 11-10-05, 03:13 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say BMW in every aspect , and yes i had experiance with both
Old 11-10-05, 04:31 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

Sadly, Mercedes is now a very different company than it was when it earned it's reputation for high quality and craftsmanship. If you have ever worked on an old Benz (pre- 1990, the 300E was the last of the "true" MB's) you will find that it comes apart and goes back together beautifully and the parts are well engineered substantial pieces. New ones look just like your typical "normal" car under the skin. BMW's have changed their faces but the insides still give the same feel. The Bangle look is not good in my mind either, the 7 is rancid, the 5 is decent (I secretly am becoming very fond of it but am not ready to publicly admit it yet..) and the new E90 has got me hooked now. It really does grow on you, but yeah, the old clean understated look of past BMW's was better. New MB's are Beautiful but overall the Bimmer is the Wimmer, er I mean Winner...

Porsche is still the German King
Old 11-10-05, 05:04 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pick between bimmer and benz?
Let's take the reliability stuff out of it, that muddles the picture.

Benzo's have a presence on the road that only a car of higher status can equal. You seem to notice them out of the corner of your eye. If it's modded it really grabs the eyeball. They ride stately, with a sort of grace. They feel solid and safe. They have that certain smell. The styling has managed to get modern but still says Benz. It's teutonic.

The bimmer. They're the drivers car. You feel planted to the road and have the urge to push it. It's comfortable...even the 3 series has enough comfort for a big guy like me. There's confidence pushing it hard, like it's always under control. As for looks, I like the new stuff. Especially the 6. The rest have grown on me, including the 5. They are different and I was tired of all the cookie cutter designs out there.

Which would I choose?
1. Bimmer 6
2. CL
3. SL
4. CLK
5. 545
Old 11-10-05, 08:05 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Perhaps Numb Nuts original post of "That's the most complicated part bro, any redneck can slap a 500hp hemi motor in a car and call it an AMG" set me off. I just love the way people criticize a car that they probably never rode in let alone owned.
You're right I've never owned an AMG, cause when I used to buy Mercedes (pre-1998, last one was a 98SL500) AMG was not a 'factory' option But I have driven an ML55 for over a week and was THOROUGHLY disappointed.

Where you are wrong is I have driven the newer Mercedes and they are seriously no longer Mercedes, If you're a die hard Mercedes enthusiast you would know this. The year Mercedes decided to change the window buttons from the type they've been using for the past 20 years to the current I knew quality was going down the first time I used the buttons (1998).

When they decided to wrap the windshield pillers in some cheap cloth material when in the past 200 years it's been made out of some type of high quality leather looking material that you cant even burn with a cigarette I was again disapppointed.

When they took out the power window buttons from the center console and put them in the doors I was BEYOND disappointed.

When I sat in a 2001 S for the first time I knew mercedes will never be the same again. I felt the leather (cheap) the plastic (cheap) the door handles (cheap) The steering (soft, non mercedes feeling) the seats (soft, non mercedes feeling) suspension (soft) I could start on the electronics but that's another thread in itself.

I'm far from a hater, I've loved mercedes for years, nothing on the road was even close to mercedes standards. Mercedes was the quality and engineering standard by which all cars were measured for decades.
Old 11-10-05, 08:15 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

BMW makes better car. Among BMW and Mercedes-Benz lineups, I would pick the following vehicles in the following order:

1. BMW 550i
2. Mercedes-Benz S600(2007)
3. BMW 330i
4. Mercedes-Benz SLK350
5. BMW 330Ci
Old 11-10-05, 08:17 PM
LexFather

Poll Time!!! :d

Old 11-10-05, 08:18 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also what is the common thread between the Chrysler lineup and Mercedes, Einstein?
...As Mercedes likes to put it, they are using Mercedes parts in some of thier Chrysler lineup (not to be mistaken for the other way around)

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...15/ai_85095803

Ya Right, theyr're giving away German engineered and built parts for FREE with every Dodge.
Old 11-10-05, 08:21 PM
LexFather

Perhaps Numb Nuts original post of "That's the most complicated part bro, any redneck can slap a 500hp hemi motor in a car and call it an AMG" set me off. I just love the way people criticize a car that they probably never rode in let alone owned.
Please, refrain from the name calling, even if you don't agree with an off comment.

Old 11-10-05, 08:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by braheem
...As Mercedes likes to put it, they are using Mercedes parts in some of thier Chrysler lineup (not to be mistaken for the other way around)

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...15/ai_85095803

Ya Right, theyr're giving away German engineered and built parts for FREE with every Dodge.
There is an internal memo(Daihmler-Chrysler) that shows that Benzs will share Chrysler parts but it is under top classified information, b/c if the world found out their Benz was shared with Chrysler cars/SUVs etc, all hell would break loose.

SO they do, we just don't know what yet.

It is to CHRYSLERs advantage, to say "hey we use Benz parts". Not the other way aroound.

Old 11-10-05, 08:34 PM
LexFather

Anyway, it kinda kills me how so many choose BMW b/c its "sportier" and 99% of the time, this is not explored, BMWs are driven like Benzs.
Fact is, AMG came and spanked M on all acceleration counts, and this is what any knuckehead can do. M was undisputed, AMG now challanges. No, its not as complete as a BMW M but you have to lose the rear on both cars to feel the difference.

I like both brands, love both brands. What KILLS me is BMW, the new designs=barf to me and Benz's reliablity is so bad its not even funny. So my pros cons

BMW Pros
Image of sportyness
Manuals offered
some interiors are avante garde
They ARE sporty
M cars
Image (again)
A wonderful aftermarket
More reliable than Benz
M

BMW Negs
Ugly Bangle styling
I-(cannot) drive
very, very overpriced
interiors use cheap materials sometimes

Benz
Beautiful looking cars
Teh feeling of top luxury
Options galore (if u have $$$, have it your way)
Power like mad
Prestigous Image
History and heritage
AMG
Cars/SUVs/Vans galore to chose from

Benz Negs
reliablity is horrible
materials used going down
Chrysler parts in there somewhere
Image, feels like an "old mans car". I need to be a CEO before I drive one.

Bottom line, I cannot see myself in an ugly car. And with traffic in Atlanta like it is, I'll give up a lil sport and sport image, for an auto with 500hp. So I go with Mercedes Benz

And my car would be the CLS 55 until a CLS 65 comes out

Old 11-11-05, 09:15 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please, refrain from the name calling, even if you don't agree with an off comment.
Now you sound like my Mother but I will be good boy and refrain.

Quick Reply: Mercedes or BMW?