Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: If you have to pick one or the other, which one, BMW or Mercedes Benz
BMW
63.64%
Mercedes Benz
36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Mercedes or BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 01:24 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mercs are alittle to stuffy for me, I have more fun running around in beemers

03 330Ci Convertable... lots of fun especially in california

Last edited by Brandicus; 11-11-05 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 01:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Right now I'd have to vote BMW overall - better driving dynamics & slightly better quality/reliability.
But in reality, I evaluate them (& all other brands) in a model by model basis.
MB has more attractive designs, I like most of them, with the exceptions of the SLK/SLR/C class coupes, & MB do have some models that really has no exact (or very close) equivalents in other brands - like the SL & CL - the only Mercedes models I'd consider right now.
For BMW, most of them drives great but I can't stand many of their exterior designs & don't like their interiors. The only BMW's I would consider are the 6 & 3, which don't really look great, but quite acceptable.
Old 11-11-05, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Bottom line, I cannot see myself in an ugly car. And with traffic in Atlanta like it is, I'll give up a lil sport and sport image, for an auto with 500hp. So I go with Mercedes Benz
I agree with you on the slushbox tranny....but, for that matter, what good is 500 HP in that kind of traffic?
Old 11-12-05, 03:00 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would love to have a high end benz... imagine having an slr in ur driveway. but realistically for an everyday consumer i would get a bmw.
Old 11-13-05, 07:18 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Went to the car show at the Miami Bch Convention Ctr last nite with my father-in-law, brother-in-law and nephews...a guys nite out. My dad is into old school. He has a 69 Nova on racing slicks with over 500 bhp. Does most of the engine work himself. He asked me specs on lots of cars at the show. Mainly he wanted to know hp numbers. Of all the cars we saw and talked about, he took notes on only one car. A cherry red M3. He asked the sales guy lots of questions. He said to me, I really like the BMW.

I wanted to talk him out of it. I wanted to tell him it's a drivers car and not great for bumper to bumper traffic. I wanted to tell him a new model will be out in a year. I wanted to tell him he'd be changing tires every year. I wanted to tell him about reliability issues. I wanted him to ask questions about the IS350 or the G35 or even the GTO. Well he was interested in the GTO until I told him the engine is a pushrod and only moderately more advanced than the Chevy Nova engine he already has. That ended that. I left it alone. I'm going to support his choice and help him choose well. I can't wait, I enjoy the car buying process. Especially a great car.
Old 11-13-05, 07:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Now you sound like my Mother but I will be good boy and refrain.
Now I have to warn you and point you to the rules.

Moderators
ClubLexus Moderators are a group of volunteers to help facilitate discussion on ClubLexus. They should not to be argued with in public when enforcing forum rules and guidelines. All members are welcome to speak with the moderators about their concerns in a polite and calm manner in private. If you have a complaint, you can contact the administrator.

Do not smart off to moderators. They are here by choice alone, and have been bestowed the privilege of maintaining this wonderful site, and acting on direct authority from the Owner and Administrator himself to enforce the rules, regulations, etiquette, and desired environment.

If you have any questions, comments, or issues with a moderator, please contact the administrator at administrator@clublexus.com.

Response to Comments
If you have a problem with another member's comments in a posted thread, do not respond with any further comments that will aggravate the situation. Reacting to a hostile post with more hostility puts you in jeopardy, and puts you at risk for action against your account even if it is another member’s fault. Members have two options of recourse:

1. Email the moderators of the forum in which the offensive comment is posted, directing them to the individual and thread in which the problem occurs. Use the "Notify a Moderator" button on the bottom of the offensive post to accomplish the same thing. Moderators will look into the issues and take the appropriate actions.
2. Resolve the problem between both of you via email or Private Message (PM).

Personal Attacks
While we encourage lively debates and discussions, we will not tolerate personal attacks of any kind. Any person attacking another forum member will receive a warning and have their offenses removed. One more offense and the offending member will be permanently suspended from ClubLexus. Any member that physically threatens another member on ClubLexus will result in an automatic suspension immediately.

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2160/1/126/

Old 11-13-05, 07:53 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by thermal
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Seems like BMW is winning, mostly for better handling and feel. I agree, though if I could only drive one car, it would be the Mercedes 500SL - IMO, one of the most beautiful cars ever made.
You mean the 1990-1998 500SL? Those are also my favorite mercedes cars of all time. Yknow, In the thread about favorite toys from childhood, I have a diorama which shows two Cobra leaders getting out of a 1/18 500SL. I figured the car suited them, and it was accurate for the time it would have taken place.
Old 11-13-05, 08:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with you on the slushbox tranny....but, for that matter, what good is 500 HP in that kind of traffic?
LMAO, b/c that is a fabulous point. I gues to "know' you have it.

Old 11-13-05, 08:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
You mean the 1990-1998 500SL? Those are also my favorite mercedes cars of all time. .
Yes I love the previous generation SL, & it's actually a car I wish I could have owned, because not only do they look good, but I heard they are quite reliable too, unlike the newer generation of MB models.
I' ve grown to like the design of the current SL even more than the previous though .
Old 11-13-05, 08:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Yes I love the previous generation SL, & it's actually a car I wish I could have owned, because not only do they look good, but I heard they are quite reliable too, unlike the newer generation of MB models.
I' ve grown to like the design of the current SL even more than the previous though .
I agree 100%, that is a beautiful car. From reading, its built like a tank, especailly in comparison to the new SL.

Amazing that the SL before that was around 20+ years!

Old 11-15-05, 09:29 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Bimmers are "very, very overpriced" but not mercs? I will look at the new S seriously to purchase but realistically an S550 out the door is going to leave very little change from your $100K bill, base prices don't have much meaning to out the door on a merc, and I can't see the merc experience overcoming the price.

Merc and bimmer trade on their exclusivity and about the only thing they can do for resale is keep large increases in new car prices (forget either one justifying high residuals because of superior long term reliability). But once you get that appreciation for how many euros you are giving away for branding, "overpriced" is a negative I would apply to both brands.
Old 11-15-05, 02:34 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

A friend of mine had a '99 500SL with the AMG styling package... What a beautiful car and pretty quick too. He had a trans. failure, but those cars are generally bulletproof - they are the "old school" Benzes and are excellent machines. Now that the new SL is out, the older ones are really quite cheap too.
Old 11-15-05, 07:11 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

I think BMW makes them better. But I still wouldn't mind haveing an E55AMG or CLS65AMG.
Old 11-16-05, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I would take a pre-Bangle 528 or 530. I don't need the V8 with the type of driving I do, and the last-generation 5 is a superlative machine in almost every way. The last-generation inline 6's also had rack-and-pinion steeering to the V8's more trucklike recirculating-ball type.
Old 11-22-05, 03:07 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mercedes for me.

If not for the reliability problems, I'd probably be driving a Mercedes today and might not be in my Lexus. They know how to make a beautiful car. Except for the SUV's, that new minivan and the soon to be out S-Class, every other car they make just looks beaitiful. The C class is a mini S, the S class has always been the standard, SL is the best looking car today IMO, the CLS and CL are my dream cars. And the E, with the updated look from the one in the late 90's, is a classic design too.

BMW drives like none other. But I prefer looks over the "fun" factor. The BMW's of the 90's were good designs, but they didn't really stood up like the Benz, with the exception of the 3 Series. They were a little bland (still alright) in the 90's and then the Bangle era...

Quick Reply: Mercedes or BMW?