Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: If you have to pick one or the other, which one, BMW or Mercedes Benz
BMW
63.64%
Mercedes Benz
36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Mercedes or BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 08:50 PM
thermal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes or BMW?

I own a Lexus, and am curious who fellow Lexus owners think makes better cars, Mercedes or BMW (lets assume Lexus makes the best .

And I mean overall better cars, not just one or two models.

H
Old 11-08-05, 08:58 PM
LXBOY
Driver

Default What category

Luxury I assume luxury since lexus is not big in sports yet!. Well in my opinion Lexus makes better luxury and driver friendly cars. Mercedes is complicated, nav. takes forever to figure out. Designing is little better than lexus in FLAGSHIP CARS.
Old 11-08-05, 08:59 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche then BMW are the only 2 German manufacturers worthy of keeping the made in Germany sticker.

Props to MB for best German styling ...Chrysler for best American styling go figure.
Old 11-08-05, 09:06 PM
dubai888
Driver School Candidate

my friend's experiance says,

BMW has better handling, sporier, much fun to drive, better specs, cheaper (all, car, parts, maintenance).

Mercedes .. more comfort,better reliability and lifetime.

Price Vs. specs/performance .. BMW is the winner

for me, think overall .. Mercedes is better
but in general i guess it depends on your requirement and your taste to define "better" and "best", for me ... better is "more reliable"
Old 11-08-05, 09:11 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I think the more recent quality reports show BMW to have better reliability than Mercedes.

A lot of people on mbworld say Mercedes used to be good until they merged with Chrysler, then things turned downhill very quickly.

Personally, I'd take a BMW over a Benz, but I do think the Benz's look nicer within the same class.
Old 11-08-05, 09:20 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

IMO MB and BMW are still just above Lexus overall..........I would have to choose MB as still the leader of all the luxury brands in terms of what their lineup offers and the innovative features they come out with.........Hopefully their reliability will improve.
Old 11-08-05, 09:31 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
IMO MB and BMW are still just above Lexus overall...........Hopefully their reliability will improve.
That's the most complicated part bro, any redneck can slap a 500hp hemi motor in a car and call it an AMG, it takes real genius to forsee problems before they occur and circumvent them.
Old 11-09-05, 05:40 AM
tkracing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by genearch
BMW & Porsche = "Freude am Fahren" which translates to "Joy in driving"

MB... Not
I can see this is going to end up as a debate.
Interested in why you feel this way?
Do you speak from experience of these vehicles?
Old 11-09-05, 06:47 AM
tkracing
Lead Lap

Cool what do you think. Were you not happy with MB performance or was it Maintenance?
Old 11-09-05, 07:27 AM
tkracing
Lead Lap

Hands down about Porsche and handling. I think the Porsche is more performance/sports car than Luxury. Through my personal experience I actually enjoy both cars. I was just wondering why you felt that way.
Old 11-09-05, 07:35 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bmw is more of a drivers car,,,,,,, so i pick bmw all the way... i really enjoyed driving the e55 mb...... but i would take a n/a m5 and whip the e55 with it anyday....
Old 11-09-05, 08:36 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

drive a BMW.

be driven in a MB.
Old 11-09-05, 08:48 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by braheem
That's the most complicated part bro, any redneck can slap a 500hp hemi motor in a car and call it an AMG, it takes real genius to forsee problems before they occur and circumvent them.
When did they start putting a hemi engine in the AMG's? I think you are smoking something.
Old 11-09-05, 10:15 AM
soarer5780
Lead Lap

i think 3 - series - 5 - series not too impressed but the new 7-series got me by the *****, i love that car the look, feel, the interior layout and space, and all the gagets is user friendly. And every M-series made by bmw is freaking awesome power and handling just hands down the best driving experience i ever had. But on the other hand MB's amg line of cars has some ***** too. like the c46 amg little 4 door sedan with a v8 just so much power for such a little car. The only thing MB has to improve on in my personal opinion is the handling, and they don't have to make the electronics so damn hard to use. I even got confused on how to use the climate control on the clk's

so with that said if your looking for luxury and comfort = Mercedes Benz
but if your looking for a great driving experience = BMW (05' M5 all the way )
Old 11-09-05, 10:33 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Heh...I guess I am the opposite with most here. I perfer Mercedes over BMW. Yes, I have driven many models from both makers, but I like Mercedes more. Its the attraction. The sexy style, the feel, the smoothness, the features, the prestige, heck even just saying Mercedes-Benz means a lot. Plus MB has an outstanding range of cars, trucks, and crossovers. I always like BMW's handling and body and machine connection, but thats about it. Design on most models are dead sexy(minus a few Bangle designs, but I can get past that), but I can always find a Mercedes that I would rather have. For example, I think the new CLS owns every sedan out right now on looks alone. It has the power, comfort, and features to compete or surpass as well. And the CL-class and SL-class are instant classics. They will be timeless designs, just like the many previous generations. I cant really say that about previous BMW's (5-series and 8-series, thats about it)but I am sure many can disagree.

EDIT: This thread needs a poll.

Last edited by magneto112; 11-09-05 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Mercedes or BMW?