Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Land Cruiser Wins Four Wheeler's 2006 Award

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 08:49 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota Land Cruiser Wins Four Wheeler's 2006 Award

Toyota Land Cruiser Wins Four Wheeler's 2006 Four Wheeler of the Year Award
11/08/2005 Los Angeles, CA

After 2 straight wins for the Lexus GX470, its the Toyota Land Cruisers turn.

Four Wheeler magazine has named the 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser the winner of its coveted Four Wheeler of the Year award. The in-depth competition has been held annually since 1974, and this year marks Toyota's first-ever win with an SUV entry.

"Receiving the 2006 Four Wheeler of the Year award for the 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser not only is a great honor for us all at Toyota, it is also an important affirmation of the vehicle's 50-year, four-wheel-drive concept: make them strong, make them capable, make them comfortable," said Jim Lentz, Toyota Division group vice president and general manager. "It pleases us very much that the experts at Four Wheeler chose the Land Cruiser for this honor."

The 2006 competitors' list included five new four-wheel-drive sport-utility vehicles: The Toyota Land Cruiser, the Hummer H3, the Jeep Commander, the Land Rover Range Rover Sport, and the Suzuki Grand Vitara. To qualify, each vehicle must be entirely new, or sport substantial mechanical revisions from a previous model year, in addition to using a two-speed transfer case.

"While it was the biggest and heaviest vehicle we tested this year, it was also the quietest and smoothest of this year's field, with outstanding road feel and terrific visibility all around." said Four Wheeler editor Douglas McColloch. "If ever a 6,000-pound truck-based SUV can be called a true 'driver's car', the Land Cruiser is it."

The Land Cruiser won several of the most challenging categories in the weeklong competition, including On-Road Ride & Drive, Off-Road Performance and Interior Trim. The tests consisted of a 1,000-mile curriculum on streets, highways, rocky trails, desert sand dunes, water crossings, and steep hills. Elevations ranged from sea level to in excess of 11,000 feet. With a newly reengineered 4.7L V-8 engine, driver-adjustable suspension, and electronic center differential lock, Toyota's Land Cruiser excelled in virtually every driving environment, while treating its occupants to class-leading interior comforts.

About FOUR WHEELER
Now in its 44th year of publication, Four Wheeler is published monthly by PRIMEDIA Inc and reaches a monthly average of 3.1 million readers. Complete test results for the Four Wheeler of the Year competition will be available in the February 2006 issue, on sale December 27, 2005.
Old 11-10-05, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree the Land Cruiser may be a slightly better buy. Unless you specifically want the Lexus's trick-ride-height electronic suspension, slightly more plush interior ( the Land Cruiser is no slouch either when it comes to luxury ) , longer warranty, and the panache of the Lexus name, I see no reason to spend the extra money for the LX470. And...trust me.....the Land Cruiser is not chump change either...it has an MSRP starting over 56K.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-10-05 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-10-05, 11:59 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magneto112
To qualify, each vehicle must be entirely new, or sport substantial mechanical revisions from a previous model year
It’s great that Toyota won the award. And I’ll preface this with the fact that I don’t follow trucks like I do cars. But hasn’t this truck been almost exactly the same for many years now?

Originally Posted by magneto112
With a newly reengineered 4.7L V-8 engine, driver-adjustable suspension, and electronic center differential lock.
I know they’ve had a 4.7L V8 for a while so what’s new with this 4.7L? And do the few other things listed qualify as “entirely new” or even “sport substantial mechanical revisions?”
Old 11-10-05, 12:06 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Land Cruiser has always been the most capable off-road and snow...IMHO.
Old 11-10-05, 02:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

I'm surprised that the LC didn't win this award until now, when it's near the end of its long product cycle. Perhaps it was because its previous lack of horsepower, but off-roading has never been about horsepower, so this late win is still a mystery.
Old 11-10-05, 02:17 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

I never pay much attention to trucks, but a good win for the LC
Old 11-10-05, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I'm surprised that the LC didn't win this award until now, when it's near the end of its long product cycle. Perhaps it was because its previous lack of horsepower, but off-roading has never been about horsepower, so this late win is still a mystery.
Yes...HP in an off-roader is generally not of great concern, respecially the way the 4WD low range multiplies torque. I have seen vehicles like this climb 45% and 50% grades.....the Mercedes Gelandewagen supposedly can do a 60.
Old 11-10-05, 07:11 PM
LexFather

I am shocked it just now won. The truck is at the end of its cycle. That means TONS to how good this truck is.

Old 11-10-05, 07:52 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

proud lc owner
Old 11-10-05, 08:09 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06 is offering the ride-height adjust this year for the LC

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree the Land Cruiser may be a slightly better buy. Unless you specifically want the Lexus's trick-ride-height electronic suspension, slightly more plush interior ( the Land Cruiser is no slouch either when it comes to luxury ) , longer warranty, and the panache of the Lexus name, I see no reason to spend the extra money for the LX470. And...trust me.....the Land Cruiser is not chump change either...it has an MSRP starting over 56K.