Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, I am fed up with my CL500, need a new car, what to get???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by olmytsi
The new range rover SPORT is SEXXXY!

[
Yes, but they are even worse than some M-B models in the reliability department......Consumer Reports consistantly ranks them at the bottom of the barrel.
Old 11-16-05, 07:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The MB CL is one of my favorite designs of all time.................I want to get a slightly used one so bad but the poor reliability REALLY scares me.

HOTNESS!!!
Old 11-17-05, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

are they nuts? revoke your service warranty coz' you changed a bulb yourself? they are really talking out of their asses man.....
Old 11-17-05, 07:12 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See thats why I never looked at MB, never. One of the reasons why I gave my aunt the LS, MB will send you to the loony ben when they start to act up...
Old 11-17-05, 08:00 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Calling corporate was exactly the reason my warranty got revoked. Get this...I originally bought my car from a Bentley dealer in 2004. Apparently, the Starmark warranty is not supposed to transfer if you buy from a non-Mercedes dealer. In other words, they have been paying for my repairs for almost 2 years assuming I bought from a private party. It apparently was not until I called corporate Friday and one of the questions was "where did I buy the car from?" did they figure this out. The lady never mentioned this on the phone that day. It was revoked the next day. I get a call from the service manager Tuesday saying he was told by MB that they had revoked it and also that MB had emailed me notifying me (which they did not email me, and besides, that is something they should call about). The service manager said because the car was not under warranty anymore, they could not do anything about the headlight....how convenient.

It is pretty sad it took them 2 years to find this out.....and a real coincidence they just find this out now. Whatever....they paid for about $5k in repairs then they were not supposed to and have no recourse back against me for it. I had no clue it was not supposed to be Starmarked. The Bentley dealer never mentioned it was, but the first time I took it to a Benz dealer they said it was. I even called Mercedes corporate several times when I first got the car to confirm I had this and when it lasted until (which was not much longer, December). I am sure they asked where I bought the car from then and never mentioned the Starmark not transferring.
Old 11-17-05, 10:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have to say it again... pathetic, very pathetic...
Old 11-17-05, 11:23 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

thats some B.S. and very cold, get rid of that car quick
Old 11-17-05, 11:37 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mercedes, BWM, and Land Rover are not very reliabile these days. Look at Consumer Reports for statistics. My friend worked for Land Rover and said nearly every car that leaves Land Rover returns to get something fixed within 6 months. Looking at Consumer Reports Mercedes and BWM is not that much different. It's better to buy these cars new and sell them when warranty expires.

I suggest you look at Infinity if you don't want another Lexus.

Chris
Old 11-17-05, 12:32 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Sorry about your situation. I love MB, but these new/newer cars really scare me.

Good luck finding your next vehicle. I would pick the SC for its reliable reputation.
Old 11-17-05, 01:06 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Mjr, sucks to hear what happened.
Again, $2000 for a headlight seems average, however the point is that the car is too problematic.

Yours is an 00, which is the first model year and the most problematic for S/CL's.

I love the CL and been contemplating in trading my father-in-laws 01 S500 for a later CL.
So far no major problems ...yet ....with that car (cat. conv. dead at 25k miles -awesome MB quality )
I believe another member here, Lou-lkirchner, has no problems with his CL.

Unlike other forum cough *mbworld*cough where they constantly bash Lexus, we're more open minded, mature and we respect each other here.........whenever we feel necessary

As a matter of fact, most owners here have owned other brands where as most haven't owned Lexus and think MBs are god's gifts

The only worthy contender out there is the SC or the 6 that I would get rid of the CL for.
Or how about the Bentley Cont. GT?
The CL is one of the very few coupe with real back seats though
I have not had any problems at all but mine is not a 2000 which had many bugs as did the early S classes. True the CL has a back seat, easy to get into, fairly comfortable once you are there and a true pain in the butt to exit. It is still a coupe and most are not the most practical autos made.

It sounds like the MB dealer that you are agonizing over went to the same school that Lexus of Sacramento attended --- The School of No Customer Service.

Last edited by lkirchner; 11-17-05 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Addition.