Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, I am fed up with my CL500, need a new car, what to get???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 12:07 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, I am fed up with my CL500, need a new car, what to get???

I have had it. I have goddamned had it. They, Mercedes, want to try to stick me with a $2,000 headlight. This car has been nothing but problems and need to get rid of it quick.
I am thinking of the following....SC430 (would love to come back to the Lexus SC crew here on CL), new 7 series, new Range Rover, that is all I can think of.
Any thoughts or ideas??
Old 11-11-05, 12:28 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, seeing as you want to get rid of your CL due to high maintenance costs, the Range Rover and 7er are both out of the running. I work for a high end auto broker, and we have Range Rovers come through all the time. Each one has some sort of an electrical problem. They're very akward to ride in an drive.

The 7er is a nice car. I don't know of too many huge problems happening as frequently as in the Rovers, but the costs will still be huge when things happen.

The Lexus... It's a Lexus. Costs to fix things will be high, but you should be relatively problem free.
Old 11-11-05, 12:35 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the SC430
Old 11-11-05, 01:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

seriously man, if you are fed up with going back to dealerships for problems and also on maintenance cost.... getting the sc430 is a no brainer choice

why do you think i got my sc430 over the sl500, m3, m5, and 911 turbo?
Old 11-11-05, 01:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A $2000 headlight is more-or-less typical of the excessive prices and high failure rate of M-B electronic parts. ( For an equally outlandish headlight, take a look at the Gatling-gun styled ones on the Infiniti Q45...I can promise you they won't be cheap either )

Back to your question.....you have many choices besides the list you gave, but of those three, the SC430 would be the best choice....unless you need a real back seat. The SC430 rear seat is practically useless.
Old 11-11-05, 01:26 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

No, I am getting rid of my car because the CL is garbage as is the service from my local dealer after the latest episode. You are part right....I cannot afford to have the car go in for one thing, then come out of the dealer with 3 new things broken, including a $2000 headlight that they told me about today that they are trying to stick ME with.
Old 11-11-05, 01:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A $2000 headlight is more-or-less typical of the excessive prices and high failure rate of M-B electronic parts. ( For an equally outlandish headlight, take a look at the Gatling-gun styled ones on the Infiniti Q45...I can promise you they won't be cheap either )

Back to your question.....you have many choices besides the list you gave, but of those three, the SC430 would be the best choice....unless you need a real back seat. The SC430 rear seat is practically useless.
well, to be honest, lexus headlights aren't much better. the gs headlights with hid ballasts and bulbs are around 1200 to 1500 per side as well. i guess it's more about why the headlight went wrong and how often
Old 11-11-05, 01:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
well, to be honest, lexus headlights aren't much better. the gs headlights with hid ballasts and bulbs are around 1200 to 1500 per side as well. i guess it's more about why the headlight went wrong and how often
Granted, Lexus headlights aren't cheap but they usually last much longer than M-B ones and use much higher quality parts and electronics in them.....though the left fog light in my old IS300 failed prematurely even with very little use and was replaced under warranty.
Old 11-11-05, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjr24
No, I am getting rid of my car because the CL is garbage as is the service from my local dealer after the latest episode. You are part right....I cannot afford to have the car go in for one thing, then come out of the dealer with 3 new things broken, including a $2000 headlight that they told me about today that they are trying to stick ME with.
What is the age / mileage on this car, mjr............and is it still under warranty? You didn't say.
Old 11-11-05, 02:34 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Let me give you guys a quick breakdown.
My car is a 2000, 64k miles, Starmark warranty.

About 2 months ago, there was a problem with my ignition, the key would not turn in the ignition out of nowhere, and thus would not start. It was towed to the dealer. They fixed it...but when the car came out, I noticed my rear sunshade was not operable. I also noticed my passenger low beam would take about 15 seconds to light up....triggering the burnt out bulb message. Not a big deal I thought, maybe the ballast misfired. Within a week, it got to the point where I had to turn my lights on and off 20-30 times and eventually both would come on. This persisted for 2 weeks. Finally, I made an appointment to get this looked at. I told them this was not present before the car came out of the dealer for the ignition. They looked at it....replaced control module, $900, and said it was ready. I go to pick the car up, first time I turn on the lights, same damn thing. Not only this, but the light was not turning on even if I turned the switch on and off 100 times. BUT...the one constant....my car is programmed where if I am driving at night with the lights on, then turn car off and get out, the lowbeams will come back on for 30 seconds as a nightlight if you will. That passenger lowbeam would always come right on fine during this. But if I allowed them to shut off after 30 secs and got back in car, started it, and turned lights on, it would not.

Again, I procrastinated, waited about 2 more weeks until I made another appointment. By this time, I'm angry....I pay $900/month for the car and don't want it at the dealer because they mucked up something originally. So I take it in the second time, 2 weeks ago. They replace the whole headlight assembly. They did not really know what the issue was...but they just replaced it anyways. Starmark covered it...$1700. OK cool. Here is the thing I found out today....starting in 2003, Mercedes started selling just Phillips for the bulb replacements and for the headlight components. In 2000 when my car was new, Mercedes was using Osram bulbs and ballasts in the headlights. So if my bulb burnt out today and went to a dealer, they would give me a Phillips bulb to put in.

So they put the Phillips headlight assembly in. Within 2 or 3 days, the same damn thing started happening!! The light would not come on when the car was running, but would come on as soon as I got out of car at night for the 30 sec nightlight. I was annoyed, but figured I would wait until I have time to get to the dealer again.

How did I drive at night? I had to do that thing where the nightlights came on...then hurry and open my door back up and turn the light switch back on....then start the car. Both lowbeams would stay lit then most of the time as long as I turned the light switch on before those 30 seconds was up and the lowbeams turned off. Once I got back in and started car with both lowbeams lit, sometimes while cranking that passenger one would go off again, and I would have to do it all over again (makes me think this is a problem isolated only when the car is starting or running, when it is getting a jolt of electricity).

So I have my new headlight assembly after the second visit in...but within 3 days, it has started doing the same damn thing. Also, the new Phillips bulb is bluer because it is new as opposed to my driver lowbeam with the 4 year old Xenon Osram bulb that has faded a little. So maybe 2-3 days after it started screwing up again, I went and put the Osram bulb (stock part with Mercedes part number) into the new headlight assembly so the colors would match again. I mean big deal, it was a Mercedes stock part, the bulb.

Anyways, Tuesday, maybe a week after putting the old bulb back in....I did this trick again to get the lights both on and while I am driving I notice the low beam warning comes on. Odd...never happened before once I got both lights on from that trick. I get out and sure enough, the socket is a little melted. I go home, pull out the bulb and was going to toss it (after all, it was melted). I call the dealer furious...that they have not fixed this problem after 3 times....and fixed a problem they created while the car was in previously! They told me to bring it in. I did. The service rep said they needed the bulb...I brought that then too. They then tell me they are DENYING this claim for this 2 week old headlight assembly because I put an Osram stock Mercedes bulb into the stock Mercedes Phillips headlight. WTF!?!?

I call around today...different Benz dealers...saying I need a replacement Xenon bulb for a 2000 CL. I get a price, I ask...."is this the Phillips or Osram bulb?" They say they only have the one part number, and it is a Phillips. In other words, plenty of people everyday are putting Phillips bulbs into Osram ballasts and headlight assemblies. My service rep never told me the headlight he put in had different ballasts and bulbs...and that by changing it it would void my warranty. I would not have done it otherwise. Did my Osram bulb into the Phillips headlight cause this burnt socket? No, of course not. I think the socket burnt because of the underlying problem from months ago....but they are using this as a loophole to get out of paying for this!

My beefs are the fact that.....putting one damn stock bulb into another stock component is not enough to void a damn warranty, especially considering dealers everyday are allowing customers to do it.

My second beef is that the burnt socket is not even the issue...the issue is this problem that I never had before the car went into the dealer and this problem they could not fix after 3 times. So they want me to pay for a new $2k headlight. The socket, a $10 plastic socket....is a little melted and they do not sell the socket, you have to buy the whole damn assembly. Hell no. I called MB Corporate and filed a complaint and have the resources to fight this.

Last edited by mjr24; 11-11-05 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 02:34 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Ill traded you my gs for it... well... maybe not. But you have to admit, the CL is a PIMP car. Good luck with your hunt!
Old 11-11-05, 02:44 PM
Leatherseats.com
Former Vendor

We've got a 1999 M5 with about 140k on it and it still runs like a beast (thats a good thing because the M5 is a beast from the factory). It has a few computer qwerks to it and we managed to mash a bearing inside the tranny one time, but besides that it has been great to us. Even when we took it threw the mud it came out ready to get up and go... so the 7 might not be a bad choice.

Old 11-11-05, 02:45 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, I feel like I really sinned for going to MB from Lexus. I do not stand by many products in life....but Lexus is one I would. I don't know why I left. Like I've said in other posts, I still post here more than on stupid MBWorld.
Old 11-11-05, 03:05 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leatherseats.com
We've got a 1999 M5 with about 140k on it and it still runs like a beast (thats a good thing because the M5 is a beast from the factory). It has a few computer qwerks to it and we managed to mash a bearing inside the tranny one time, but besides that it has been great to us. Even when we took it threw the mud it came out ready to get up and go... so the 7 might not be a bad choice.

what the heck happened here?
Old 11-11-05, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This is outrageous, mjr. If your story is true ( and I have no reason to doubt what you have written ) there is no reason in the world why you should have to put up with this. And people WONDER why we sometimes bash M-B electronics here on CL.

You certainly have my sympathy....and my backing.....in this case. Ordinarily I would give some advice on how to deal with something like this but I think you have used just about all the options available short of going to court. The car is probably too old for the state lemon laws. The long M-R drivetrain warranty would not cover something like this, and the bumper-to-bumper warranty is gone by now. This "Starmark" warranty you mention....I don't know if it covers headlights or not without reading the fine print....that is a whole other issue. The only advice I can give at this point is that you may have a case for going to small-claims court....especially if you have witnesses who can ( or will ) testify that these problems only multiplied AFTER the dealer made the "repairs". But I am not an attorney...your best bet might be to seek one who is experienced in auto-tort cases and get his or her opinon. In some areas arbitration can deal with something like this.
Good luck..... keep us informed on how it turns out.

Quick Reply: OK, I am fed up with my CL500, need a new car, what to get???