Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which way to go with 65k ?
2003-2004 E55 AMG
29.11%
2006 CLS 500
15.19%
2006 Lexus GS 430
35.44%
2006 Infiniti M 45 sport
20.25%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

What car would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05, 08:42 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The key word here is "recommened". I cannot recommend the others, even though they are all incredible and I drool when I see a E55 and CLS and the m45 is good competiton.

The GS comes fully recommended. It may not be the best car to drive 2% of the time (i.e when your trying to drift on a public road, which is illegal anyway) but for 98% of the time, it will meet and exceed your OWNERSHIP expectations.

You know its built like a tank.
The dealer will take care of you.
It has performance
It has luxury
It has looks
It has prestige and image

It may not be #1 except for the 1st too but it includes EVERYTHING.
Amen to that! Enough said! ( and well said I might add)

I still drool over an E55 AMG whenever I see one though......................
Old 11-13-05, 11:35 AM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats is what Im picturing Im sitting in my new gs430 and a e55 pulls up ll be drooling just like Hameed and 1SICK. 60k minus and still drooling damn. That would depress the sheet out of me. The emotional pick as stated before is definetely the e55. The wise choice would be gs430.I think I narrowed it down to e55 and a gs430. Lets me sleep on this dilemma for a few days,see what I feel.

Last edited by BkLexZ; 11-13-05 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-13-05, 11:50 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

If it's financially responsible for you to do it, just get the E55. You're clearly going to be happiest.
Old 11-13-05, 01:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
If it's financially responsible for you to do it, just get the E55. You're clearly going to be happiest.
He said he was going to sleep on it for a few days. It will be the GS reliability, quality, and refinement vs. the panache of the E55 despite the fact that they are unreliable.
Old 11-13-05, 01:48 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
He said he was going to sleep on it for a few days. It will be the GS reliability, quality, and refinement vs. the panache of the E55 despite the fact that they are unreliable.
He can sleep away, but if you don't get the things that you're passionate about, you'll always regret. This advice applies only if he can comfortably afford the possible repairs, though. It's not worth, to me at least, being on fiscally shaky ground for something that provides passion and entertainment only.
Old 11-22-05, 07:53 AM
Milla...

I say if you like it love it buy it, if you can afford it. Just have a second car so that when its in the shop you wont be without a car. It wont be the end of the world you can always get a GS latter when the car isn't fun anymore. Go for the ride man who said that the E55 had to be the last car in your life.
Old 11-23-05, 07:22 AM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

I think the E55. I have always liked that car and I think its just worth it for that much...
Old 11-24-05, 12:36 PM
MY GS300
Lexus Test Driver

Right now you can get a very good deal on a new GS430.

If you like reliability, durability, and a smooth and quiet ride, then go with the GS430.

Have you test drive all of the cars?

Good luck.
Old 11-24-05, 12:47 PM
MY GS300
Lexus Test Driver

Two more cars I think you might be interested in.

#1. Audi RS4

#2 Lexus GS 450h

Old 11-24-05, 03:35 PM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

I drove all the cars.
I dont like Audis
The GS 450H, a possibility but if I go that route rather wait for the gs460 so most likely wont be waiting .I can get a funny price on a dealers auction for a 2006 gs430. with under10k on it.
Still havent decided. Still looking Im picky when it comes to cars. The m3 is a lovely car. I saw a few at an auction I was at ,it looked stunning as always. Everyone is saying reliability this dependability that yes yes I know and agree that Lexus is the best in that category but m3.e55, and even m45sport is a better performer than the beloved gs430.
Old 11-24-05, 03:50 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like mentioned above, if you can afford it get what you are passionate about. Dont settle. If you don't get what you really want you will always wonder. I'm going through that right now. As good as the Lexus SC is I'm not passionate about it and now I'm trying to get rid of it and get something that gets my blood pumping. I'm going to loose a lot of money since I only had it a year but everyday I drive it I look out the window and see cars I'd rather be driving instead.
Old 11-24-05, 04:57 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I voted the M45 Sport, which would be less than $65k even if fully loaded.

The more I drive the new GS, the less I am impressed with it, mainly because of the over-assisted handling. The interior, although high quality, is generic looking, and the headroom and trunk opening are embarrassing for this class.

It wasn't one of the choices, but for $65k, I'd go for the 550i.
Old 11-24-05, 06:20 PM
MY GS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BkLexZ
I drove all the cars.
I dont like Audis
The GS 450H, a possibility but if I go that route rather wait for the gs460 so most likely wont be waiting .I can get a funny price on a dealers auction for a 2006 gs430. with under10k on it.
Still havent decided. Still looking Im picky when it comes to cars. The m3 is a lovely car. I saw a few at an auction I was at ,it looked stunning as always. Everyone is saying reliability this dependability that yes yes I know and agree that Lexus is the best in that category but m3.e55, and even m45sport is a better performer than the beloved gs430.
Hi again

Its a great time to shop for a car because all the cars you have mentioned are very good.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 11-24-05, 08:02 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default shopping for cars or with money?

Looking for the best car, or looking for the fastest car? In my opinion, if your driving this car every day I would go with the lexus due to the daily commute. Benz will wear more on a daily basis. A car represents something, and people look at the car in one light at first. Some people look at horsepower, some at class, and some just like the look of it. If you want a sports machine, get a zo6. Just because infiniti is suppose to be faster, definately does not make it a better car. Alot of used e55's had problems with the motors and this is documented, and mercedes can produce a list of the #'s. I don't know if I could own a nice car in the tri-stare to be honest. I hated driving my gs any in connecticut because basically when I drove it, I felt it was being beat to crap. I parked it for like 7 months. Maybe do a is350 and a supra if you want both speed and luxury. Thats doable for 65k Easy! Lexus makes the best reliable cars on the road, and they hold the value better than any other vehicle. Just because they don't hold land speed records, or massive torque numbers, doesn't make them a honest contender. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 11-24-05, 09:44 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Hands down, I'd take the E55, then spend another $1000 on a beater car Especially if you live in a state where there is snow. I have a fwd beater that I pile miles on and I only drive the LS430 a few day a week. I put under 50 miles a week on it.
The E55 is a 4 door sports car and should be treated as such.

As far as reliability I believe AMG Benz is more reliable than a regular Benz. I know the engines are hand built .
Attached Thumbnails What  car would you recommend?-cavyypj3.jpg  

Quick Reply: What car would you recommend?