Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which way to go with 65k ?
2003-2004 E55 AMG
29.11%
2006 CLS 500
15.19%
2006 Lexus GS 430
35.44%
2006 Infiniti M 45 sport
20.25%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

What car would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 10:25 PM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What car would you recommend?

Guys if you had a budget of $65,000 and wanted to buy. Which one would you go with and why. I love the E55 but would have to get a 2003 or 2004.I also like the cls500 which can be had relatively new for 65k. Or get the 2006 gs430 or m45 infiniti. I feel like I will regret buying anything other than the e55 but the fact that it is used is a factor. I know the smart thing to do is buy the gs430, but that torque is amazing in the amg.
Old 11-12-05, 06:38 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

If it was me id go with the updated gs with the bigger engine. But the e55 is really tempting, you have to remember the e55s steering wheel is electronic and so are the brakes and gas pedal so you have to expect some reliability issues.
Old 11-12-05, 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BkLexZ
Guys if you had a budget of $65,000 and wanted to buy. Which one would you go with and why. I love the E55 but would have to get a 2003 or 2004.I also like the cls500 which can be had relatively new for 65k. Or get the 2006 gs430 or m45 infiniti. I feel like I will regret buying anything other than the e55 but the fact that it is used is a factor. I know the smart thing to do is buy the gs430, but that torque is amazing in the amg.
Here's my advice:

Forget the AMG...for several reasons. First, where in Brooklyn are you going to use that torque? Second, M-B's build quality at one time was first-rate but today, outside of a vault-like body structure for safety, is not even third-rate, especially in electronics and hardware. Three, AMG's, even with your 65K budget, are horrendously expensive to buy, maintain, and insure....just yesterday we had, posted on CL, a sad story from a CL member being charged $2000 for a new Mercedes headlight. You don't want these cars after the warranty is gone. Even routine service, if customer-charged, can be an arm and a leg.

Go with the GS430....or wait for the GS460. I honestly DON'T say this just because this is a Lexus forum but because it is simply the best overall car out of the four you mention. The Mercedes E55 or AMG will have a slight edge in safety features ( the things M-B and Volvo traditionally excel in ) but otherwise cannot compare with a new Lexus. . Compare the GS's paint job, bodywork, quality of assembly and materials inside and out, fit-and-finish, refinement, noise level, reliability record, resale value, quality of dealer service, and so many other things, and IMO this is a no-brainer.

However, the GS is not perfect. I test-drove and reviewed an AWD GS300 when they first became available last spring and found the roof a little low for tall people and an annoying tendency for the little flip-open box under the left A/C vent that holds the power mirror controls to hit your left knee if you leave it open for convienence....but this, of course, will vary person-to-person.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-12-05 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-12-05, 08:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

For $65k, I'd wait for the GS450h (next May) or the GS460.
Old 11-12-05, 08:37 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, Ive stated before, I simply LOVE the CLS. Argueably the best looking sedan out right now. It just grabs your attention like no other. However, the CLS is not in your budget range, unless you can manage to spend a few more grand. The CLS500 STARTS at 66K. In typical Mercedes fashion, just about all the features you expect as standard on this model, are optional. Premium package, which includes ventilated front seats, Navi, upgraded stereo, rear window sunshade, and a few other things, is 4K. Xenon package adds another grand, Heated seats is an option at 690, a Smart Key like syatem is another 1K, and park assist is another 1K. In total thats around 75K with a few other options. 10K over your budget.

I wouldnt even think about a used E55 as the first and second model years have sooooo many problems.

GS430 would be the wisest choice(and my choice with you budget of 65K). 58-59K fully loaded. If you search around in the GS forum, many people are getting killer deals as well.

M45 seems to be a good choice as well if you want a little more sport with a sacrifice in quality. You can probably get a good deal on one as well.

A GS450h might be worth the wait as well, as Amethy said above.
Old 11-12-05, 10:11 AM
MarkW2005

Lexus GS 430....you get more bang for your buck.
Old 11-12-05, 12:15 PM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

Thats what everyone is telling me to go with the new GS430 because of the reliability issues with the amg. What about getting extended warranty on it ? The little voice keeps telling me to go with E55. I drove a few and they are serious vehicles. I appreciate all the input keep em coming. The cls500 can be bought for 65K with under 10,000 miles on it. The infiniti M45 is even faster than the gs 430. I dont like the fact that a Infiniti wil be faster from stop and handling.

Last edited by BkLexZ; 11-12-05 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-12-05, 12:22 PM
Ku@
Pole Position

get an m3 with competition package, fully loaded -.- 65k exactly
Old 11-12-05, 12:27 PM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

Its going to be my only car and a daily driver so I want a 4 dour, I do love M3 s but I love the fact that the E55 will walk one anyday with 3 of my buddies inside chilling.
Old 11-12-05, 12:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thats what everyone is telling me to go with the new GS430 because of the reliability issues with the amg. What about getting extended warranty on it ? The little voice keeps telling me to go with E55. I drove a few and they are serious vehicles. I appreciate all the input keep em coming. The cls500 can be bought for 65K with under 10,000 miles on it. The infiniti M45 is even faster than the gs 430. I dont like the fact that a Infiniti wil be faster from stop and handling.
Well, if you don't worry about drag-racing and just look at the new GS for what it is.....a real jewel of a car that, quality-wise, is like a Swiss watch, and still has PLENTY of power, although maybe not up to M45 or AMG levels, I don't think you will be disappointed. You mention a 65K budget. For 65K ( minus whatever your old car is worth ) you can have a brand-new GS and put about 15K back in the bank......or for mods if desired.

Yes...you can buy an extended warranty for the AMG, but in my opinion that is just putting more Band-Aids on a car that is poorly built in the first place....and that extended warranty costs money....probably pretty good money on a car with parts that expensive.
Old 11-12-05, 12:59 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

i would get that couple more grand and cop the cls i love the way they look, but like eeryone says it all comes back to reliability and there was a member who was too fed up with the car and his dealership
Old 11-12-05, 01:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For design, I would go for the CLS. I would lease it though because I wouldn't want the long term maintenance costs of an MB.

For reliablity and function, I would go for the GS. A good balance of power, comfort, room, and style, with top-of-the-game reliability and value.
Old 11-12-05, 04:13 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

I agree with philip 100%....for the looks it wud be tough between a CLS, and a GS430. MAYBE..just MAYBE an M45. But really the GS is top notch fully loaded for 58K sticker...to be purchased for about 53-54K. ANyone can get that price now. thats a great deal. Low 50K car for a fully loaded GS430. spectacular value for looks, money, performance, reliability, build quality, appeal, refinement, aggressiveness, curvature, and technology.

infiniti m45 with sport with sport package aluminum trim...is a defnite LOOKER too probably has a little more tech gizmos in it thatn the GS for the same price. has the performance, looks, and everythign the GS has...but not as appealing in those areas as the GS.
Old 11-13-05, 08:27 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sexy pick would be the CLS. Nothing on the road looks like it or has the presence of it.
The emotional pick would be the ESS. Raw power with luxury features.
The M45 would give you the handling, power and reliability a lot of us who enjoy driving cars.
The GS is the common sense choice because it has some of everything mentioned above.

For me, the germans are out. Just can't force myself to buy something I know will have problems. I at least want to hope a car will be good. WHy get something with no hope of that.

The M45 intruques me. I've yet to see one with nice wheels. But it has a great stance to go with the power and handling.

I'd probably choose the GS. I hate the front facia and that door piece but it is a lexus and does everything good enough to feel satisfied at the end of the day.
Old 11-13-05, 08:35 AM
LexFather

The key word here is "recommened". I cannot recommend the others, even though they are all incredible and I drool when I see a E55 and CLS and the m45 is good competiton.

The GS comes fully recommended. It may not be the best car to drive 2% of the time (i.e when your trying to drift on a public road, which is illegal anyway) but for 98% of the time, it will meet and exceed your OWNERSHIP expectations.

You know its built like a tank.
The dealer will take care of you.
It has performance
It has luxury
It has looks
It has prestige and image

It may not be #1 except for the 1st too but it includes EVERYTHING.

Quick Reply: What car would you recommend?