Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

why does lexus put the starter in the intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-05, 05:49 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts
Default why does lexus put the starter in the intake

can anyone answer this question?the only reason i can figureis so they can charge a ****load of money to change it
Old 11-12-05, 08:45 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not in the Intake... Its on top of the transmission. On RWD its going to be a P.I.T.A. to change no matter what the brand. It just so happens, on a Lex, you have to remove have the engine to get to it!
Old 11-12-05, 09:49 PM
Bercasio
Pole Position

I thought the starter was located under the intake manifold?
Old 11-13-05, 05:23 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

Yep, it's under the intake manifold and it is an awful place to put it. Blame packaging on this one - cars are not designed to be fixed anymore. The Cadillac/ Olds Northstars have the starters in the same spot - and they fail often and they cost a fortune to replace. I think the idea is that by putting the starter on the "cold side" of the engine, it is less effected by the heat of the engine which generally kills starters when they are placed in the conventional spot under/ near the exhaust manifolds. Old Ford Explorers had the starter right beside the manifold and were particularly bad for needing them replaced. This theory seems to work (for Lexus at least) because the starters seem to last a long time in an LS.
Old 11-13-05, 06:35 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stage3
Its not in the Intake... Its on top of the transmission. On RWD its going to be a P.I.T.A. to change no matter what the brand. It just so happens, on a Lex, you have to remove have the engine to get to it!
the starter is under the intake manifold on my ls, and its not that difficult to changr a starter on a rear wheel drive vehicle. most times all you have to do is disconnect the plug to the switch, battery cable and 2 bolts and your done
Old 11-13-05, 12:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Several of our past RWD Toyota's have not had starter problems. Me thinks that the engineers figured this was a low maintenance item and hence buried it under the intake plenum. The way they organized the bottom of the engine, it doesn't look like they have room for the starter down there anymore. The crossmembers and steering rack seems to lie in this area...might have been tight. Dunno...

Mine went out at somewhere around 85K miles and was a 7 bill expense.
Old 11-13-05, 06:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RA40
Several of our past RWD Toyota's have not had starter problems. Me thinks that the engineers figured this was a low maintenance item and hence buried it under the intake plenum. The way they organized the bottom of the engine, it doesn't look like they have room for the starter down there anymore. The crossmembers and steering rack seems to lie in this area...might have been tight. Dunno...

bingo...............

Old 11-18-05, 04:18 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RA40

thats what i was thinking but wanted to confirm, i noticed cadillac does it also
Old 11-18-05, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3

Yes...but how often does a Lexus starter break? Like most Lexus parts, used with common sense, they are virtually bulletproof unless you do something really dumb like overgrind it and heat it up to the point where the solenoids cook.....and EFI, you should never have to grind more than a second or two anyway unless it has been sitting for weeks.
Old 11-18-05, 05:16 PM
c33w
Rookie

Its a bad location due to the heat trap, but its not that hard to change out the starter.
Took me an hour and a half to change mine out with a new starter from ebay.
Just the most basic tools could do it.
Old 11-18-05, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It may also be that hard-to-get place on purpose...to keep it sheltered from road salt spray in the winter.......one of the chief reasons why starter cables and wiring corrode.
Old 11-24-05, 05:50 PM
wmbyrd
Driver School Candidate

My question is why the hell were the heads of those two bolts on the side closer to the tranny? They are damn near inaccessible! instead . Toyota should have placed the bolts in such a way that the heads were on the side of the timing belt facing the tranny. In this way (1) i would not have busted up my damn fingers banging them on metal trying to twist like a damn pretzel to get at those damn bolts; (2) I would not have had to remove the engine wire housing unit nor the rear water by-pass joint and pipe; (3) I would not want to get my damn hands around that engineer's neck . Toyota could have made the life of its own techs and DYIs so much simpler and not change the design or the location of the starter.

Do y'all you all agree?
I just took the starter out over the holiday and getting the bolts off was painful...very painful.

Bill