Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the oddest or worst car you actually wanted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05, 09:01 AM
LexFather

Default What is the oddest or worst car you actually wanted?

Yeah, this is something different. Instead of voting fo for the car we really want and everyone would want, how about a car that YOU wanted, but possibly the rest of the world scorned.

For me, it would be, the Isuzu Stylus. "suspension by lotus"

It has a powerful I-4 for like 100hp I think and I liked the styling. So sue me, lol. I heart this car back in the very early 90s..........DWP BABY!!!

Old 11-13-05, 10:40 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wanted (and still do) a Lada Niva to be a project car where I could take it apart, put it together and just learn about it.

Old 11-13-05, 11:03 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I vividly remeber telling my dad that I wanted a baby blue jeep when I was five... Now that I think about it, I wonder if he thought I might be gay?

(Im straight by the way... I dont want any confusion )

I also want a 1990 Jetta Coupe for a budget project car. It would be lowered to the point where driving it was more of a job than a luxury, and it would rub on the slightest of bumps.
Old 11-13-05, 11:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I actually thought of wanting a PTCruiser when it first came out, it's not usually the kind of car I'd be interested in. It isn't pretty but I just thought at the time a brand new model with retro style is pretty cool, & it's a very space efficient and practical car for it's size . . . so it's definitely not the worst, plus I think it's now proven to be pretty reliable.
Old 11-13-05, 11:30 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Geo Prism (the hatchback) I thought it was the coolest thing. LOL

Saab 900 (I actually still want one)
Old 11-13-05, 12:53 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went to Italy last year and saw how Smart Cars have taken over. I personally want the ForTwo (or the Roadster).

Function, function, function -- easy parking access (so small that you can parallel park perpendicular to the curb and still be parked legally), excellent fuel economy, great price (about 10K Euros), and mod styling. And you can't beat the powerful 50 HP engine!!!

However, I will most likely be killed in L.A. as a big Hummer tramples me down when he doesn't look as he cuts four lanes to exit the freeway. Thank you Californian drivers...
Old 11-13-05, 01:00 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

I still, to this day, want a Jaguar XJS

I was very close to buying one, but the reliabilty steered me to a SC3 instead
Old 11-13-05, 01:09 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I went to Italy last year and saw how Smart Cars have taken over. I personally want the ForTwo (or the Roadster).

Function, function, function -- easy parking access (so small that you can parallel park perpendicular to the curb and still be parked legally), excellent fuel economy, great price (about 10K Euros), and mod styling. And you can't beat the powerful 50 HP engine!!!

However, I will most likely be killed in L.A. as a big Hummer tramples me down when he doesn't look as he cuts four lanes to exit the freeway. Thank you Californian drivers...
Ahhh yes Smart cars. I actually had a nice loing talk with Richie about them over in Europe. Interesting little cars.

I saw one in Manhattan over the summer. Damn thing almost got plowed by a Expedition making an illegal Uturn on the West Side Highway. Somehow squeezed by untouched. Gotta love tiny cars.
Old 11-13-05, 01:13 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I've always wanted one of these Lamborghini Diablo

But i prefered the used GS
Old 11-13-05, 01:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ
I've always wanted one of these Lamborghini Diablo
How is that the oddest or the worst ?
Old 11-13-05, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
For me, it would be, the Isuzu Stylus. "suspension by lotus"

It has a powerful I-4 for like 100hp I think and I liked the styling. So sue me, lol. I heart this car back in the very early 90s..........
[]
If my memory is correct, the Stylus and Impulse were gone from the U.S. market by the early 1990's. Their spirits ( in a somewhat different body ) lived on for a brief time at Chevy dealers in the Geo Storm.
Old 11-13-05, 01:39 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the brochure and everything when I was kid on this car. I wanted to get one so bad.

Cutlass Calais Quad 442 W41 - they could move though. 14.7 @ 95mph

Old 11-13-05, 01:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well...I guess it depends on your definition of " worst ".

If worst means unrelible, here is the worst NEW car I ever owned: a 1980 Chevy Citation.
http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Chev/1980/Citation/
( I remember this brochure well )

The worst new cars I ever reviewed and test-drove:
(Tie) 1984 Pontiac Fiero and 1987 Hyundai Excel. The Fiero's steering wheel was canted about 20 or 30 degrees off-center, the oil pressure gauge didn't work, the temperature gauge didn't work, the power windows didn't close properly, and EVERYTHING squeaked and rattled....on a brand-new car right off the truck. The Excel ( in reality a rebadged Mitsubishi Precis ) was a little better-assembled but had awful engineering, and, especially with automatic and the A/C on, couldn't even get out of its own way. A snail would get off the line faster.

Probably the worst car I ever WANTED...and never got: If you define " worst " with unreliability, a 1970 Plymouth Road Runner ( note my Avitar logo ). A more sedate version of the 1970 Road Runner....a 1970 Plymouth Satellite....set an all-time Consumer Reports record for defects in ONE test car....52. Even the Fiero couldn't top it. Chrysler products in those days were notorious for sloppy assembly at the factory....though they made durable powertrains.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-13-05 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-13-05, 01:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

LOL...I always wanted a Buick Riviera because back in middle school when they changed to that huge long coupe, my teacher had one. I had a crush on her and I tohught it was a cool and very different looking car.

I'll add some more when I thikn of them.
Old 11-13-05, 02:29 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technics
I had the brochure and everything when I was kid on this car. I wanted to get one so bad.

Cutlass Calais Quad 442 W41 - they could move though. 14.7 @ 95mph

My best friend had one of those... Oh man the things we did with the car. Once we flew over a pothole at 60 miles an hour. That was sweet!!! (we were 16).

As for me, there was a point in my life that I was certain to get a Ford Probe

Quick Reply: What is the oddest or worst car you actually wanted?