Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More electro-safety-nannies from M-B

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05 | 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default More electro-safety-nannies from M-B

Well, guys, here we go again.....from Germany, the land of the perhaps the strictest drivers' license-training requirements in the world comes.....guess what? Yep.....ANOTHER new safety-nanny from Mercedes that lets you simply sit on your a** in the left-front seat instead of actually paying attention to what you are doing. This dandy new device, on the new upcoming 2007 S-Class previewed here by CAR and DRIVER, has decided it is going to save you the bother of actually looking at the cars ahead of you. While, of course, vehicle-following cruise control itself is nothing new, this wonderful electro-kindergarten teacher relies on a multi-function variable-range radar that saves you not only the trouble and bother of looking at the cars ahead of you but actually having to inconvienence yourself by moving your right leg and putting it on the brake pedal....Miss ElectroCandycrack will actually bring the car to a dead stop while you sip your Starbucks and check those stocks you bought yesterday.....so that the car behind you, without Miss Candycrack in control and with the driver checking HIS stocks, can solidly and effectively shape your whole trunk lid into an accordion.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10248
Old 11-13-05 | 05:12 PM
LexFather

Its just a matter of time before they get sued for somethign like this
Old 11-13-05 | 05:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Great read. Nice find.

So basically you can tailgate another driver with the cruise control system on. Thats pretty damn close to not be in control of the car. Very cool that they got this work(hopefully it wont fail like many other electronics in the S-class).

Even though I fully dont trust this technology, I do welcome it. The day that cars can fully drive themselves(steering included) is right around the corner.
Old 11-13-05 | 05:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by magneto112
Great read. Nice find.

So basically you can tailgate another driver with the cruise control system on. Thats pretty damn close to not be in control of the car. Very cool that they got this work(hopefully it wont fail like many other electronics in the S-class).

Even though I fully dont trust this technology, I do welcome it. The day that cars can fully drive themselves(steering included) is right around the corner.
We need to draw a line though. At this point, that is being DRIVEN, not driving. And I say at that point, try some public transportation
Old 11-13-05 | 05:50 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

I'll be the contrarian here, but I think this is good... It is only on when cruise is on so whats the big deal? It shouldn't be intrusive unless the driver is following too close like a moron anyways so if it stops the Benz on auto-pilot from laying into the back of a minivan then isn't this good? Of course we should pay attention to what the f' we are doing when behind the wheel, but these kinds of safety features should save us from the stereotypical donkey who isn't paing attention. Do you really think people will rely on this to set their gap in traffic? I doubt it, but it may stop a rear - ender if the driver gets too dopey while he is floating along on cruise at 85mph. All these wacky new vigilant backseat driver features are fine - as long as they work and are not overly intrusive. Benz is the safety champ, very progressive.
Old 11-13-05 | 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coffey454
All these wacky new vigilant backseat driver features are fine - as long as they work .
The problem is, though, in M-B products and a lot of other European cars, they often DON'T work due to substandard electronics, hardware, or connectors. M-B tried brake-by-wire systems in several of its models ( with emergency hydraulic back-up ) and finally gave up on it...they are junking it and going back to standard hydraulic systems because of constant customer complaints, lack of proper modulation and feel in the brake pedals, and almost constant malfunctions. And....while we're on the subject of brakes......the Brake Assist that Mercedes pioneered was also IMO not only unneeded but possibly dangerous as well. You will remember that this system " senses " when the driver wants to make a panic stop ( even if this is not the case ) and, if triggered, the computer takes matters into its own hands and applies all four anti-lock brakes full-force, stopping the car immediately and risking a rear-end collision from cars behind it.

Yes, I know there are two schools of thought on this. One group of people wants this kind of stuff. Others don't. I am of the latter group....I believe in driving means DRIVING. Now, that doesn't mean that there is no use for electronics at all.......electronic engine ignition and fuel-delivery features, ABS, and traction control were all great ideas.....I support them 100%. But, like Mike ( 1SICKLEX ) said in his post, you have to draw the line somewhere, and I think that line has been reached.