Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Small cars staging a big comeback

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05, 06:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Small cars staging a big comeback

Small cars staging a big comeback
There's a big battle shaping up as manufacturers roll out cheap cars for the masses.

November 9, 2005: 12:37 PM EST
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN/Money staff writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - While America's long love affair with enormous SUVs may be waning, a new market is being discovered at the other end of the scale.

Very small cars are making a comeback.

Last week, Toyota unveiled the Yaris, which has been sold in other countries, including Japan, for some time. The Yaris is smaller and less expensive than the popular Toyota Corolla.

In addition, Honda will soon be introducing the Fit and Nissan plans to roll out the Versa. Like the Toyota Yaris, these are also versions of cars those companies currently sell in other countries.

Hyundai and its Korean sister company Kia have recently introduced redesigned versions of their bottom-of-the-line cars, the Hyundai Accent and the Kia Rio.

The current standard-bearer in the "cheap-and-efficient" market segment, though, is none other than General Motors. The Chevrolet Aveo is made in Korea by GM Daewoo, an affiliate of GM. Next year, Chevrolet will be releasing a redesigned Aveo in the United States.

Already the best-selling car in its segment, not to mention the cheapest, the Aveo is also a surprisingly good little car, said Ed Hellwig, auto test editor for Edmunds.com, an automotive Web site that provides data and tools for CNN.com.

"A lot of people will probably be surprised at the level of refinement in some of these cars," said Hellwig.

More than fuel prices, the increasing quality of cars at these low prices is driving the market, Hellwig said. Even the current version, let alone the redesigned Aveo, adds a bit of design flair to its bargain-basement functionality, he said.

Not that it's a great car. Cars at these prices don't need to be great. They just have to be better than you expect, automotive marketing experts say.

In this market segment, cars have two major selling points. They're dirt-cheap and they're fuel-efficient. Prices for the Aveo, for example, start at less than $10,000 and the car gets an EPA-estimated 35 miles per gallon on the highway and 27 in city driving. Prices for most cars in this low-end segment start at about $12,000 or so.

Car companies aren't expecting huge sales volume from cars like these, but these cheap models offer car companies a way to get new, young buyers into the showroom and get them hooked on the brand, said James Bell, publisher of IntelliChoice.

Should you buy?
Which raises a question for the consumer. Does a really cheap new car make sense when you could just buy used?

For some buyers, it might.

The new-versus-used question faces buyers of any type of car. For example, someone considering purchasing a Toyota Camry shouldn't overlook the option of taking a three-year-old Lexus that could offer a nicer overall experience for the same money.

The advantage of the Camry would be a longer warranty and the certainty of knowing that the car hadn't been mistreated by any previous owner.

The same will go for the person considering whether to buy a Honda Fit or a late-model used Civic. The main difference will be that someone shopping for a car at these sorts of prices may be less able to deal with even a small amount of uncertainty, said Hellwig.

If someone's used Lexus suffers a breakdown, that person will probably be able to find another way to get to work, he said, and they could cover the cost of repairs or would have paid for an extended warranty.

The person who could only afford a used Civic may not have so many options, so a new Fit might be the better choice..

With all the new products in this market segment, competition for your business should be fierce, said Peterson.

"There's going to be a big fight at that end of the market this fall," said Peterson.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/07/Auto...cars/index.htm
Old 11-13-05, 06:34 PM
LexFather

I like the Yaris and I welcome all these small cars coming, from all carmakers!

Old 11-13-05, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I like the Yaris and I welcome all these small cars coming, from all carmakers!

[
I like the idea of the Yaris coming, too, but I'm afraid that it is going to end up duking it out for sales at Toyota dealerships with the Scion xA. These two cars, IMO, are going to compete with each other as much as with non-Toyota / Scion products.
And the Scion xA is likely to have an advantage here with its Saturn-style, no-hassle, no-dicker, write-em-up method of purchase that makes it simpler for young first-time buyers....a Yaris purchase will necessitate some conventional-style dealing.

Frankly, I never did like the xA much, though, admittedly, it was well-built and economical. Toyota IMO would be wise to drop the xA and replace it with the Yaris as a Scion product instead of as a Toyota.
Old 11-13-05, 06:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I like the idea of the Yaris coming, too, but I'm afraid that it is going to end up duking it out for sales at Toyota dealerships with the Scion xA. These two cars, IMO, are going to compete with each other as much as with non-Toyota / Scion products.
And the Scion xA is likely to have an advantage here with its Saturn-style, no-hassle, no-dicker, write-em-up method of purchase that makes it simpler for young first-time buyers....a Yaris purchase will necessitate some conventional-style dealing.

Frankly, I never did like the xA much, though, admittedly, it was well-built and economical. Toyota IMO would be wise to drop the xA and replace it with the Yaris as a Scion product instead of as a Toyota.
Good point sir. Yeah, I am not an Xa fan at all, actually. Yaris>Xa to me. BUt I still think IMAGE plays a big role here and some would rather own a Toyota, than a SCION. Even if Scion is owned by Toytoa.

Old 11-13-05, 07:11 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the Yaris. I'm not a big fan of small cars but I keep seeing this black one in my hood and it's a pretty nice looking little car. Of course it's got Toyota reliability backing it up and the price is right, so what's not to like?