Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS350 vs E90 330i

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 12:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

HAHHAHAA damnit andrew, you don't have to sum up my post to its fullest right?

but man, good one!
Old 11-15-05, 12:13 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny/.... Most performance guys seem to upgrade suspension anyways so the IS350 is perfect...lol

BTW.... that thing is QUICK off the line!!
Old 11-15-05, 12:33 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Funny/.... Most performance guys seem to upgrade suspension anyways so the IS350 is perfect...lol

BTW.... that thing is QUICK off the line!!
I'm sure there will be sways and coil overs available for it soon enough. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the nice wood trim for aluminum.
Old 11-15-05, 05:02 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then again it could have been setup that way guys. I went to a GM Autoshow in Motion even this past weekend. Similar setups and they basically had every model GM vehicle made, but they had compeittor BASE MODELS at the show. Base model Accord, Camry, BMW, Lexus ES330, and so on. It's sad they did this because people who like cars know and will catch on to this. lol
Old 11-15-05, 07:13 PM
LexFather

This is all the reading u need about the IS 350 vs 330
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=1sickreview

Ther 330 in Atlanta was a LOADED sport model. It wasn't some base 330 or 325. It was clear the 330 was a better handler but not as fast. Its clear when you factor in price and reliability, the IS is more than a match for the 3.

And to say the IS is a disaster is absurd.

Old 11-15-05, 07:51 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chiawei
Lexus also staged this at the bay area event.

Yes, we all know that IS350 is faster at straight. IS350 will spank 330i in straight due to massive power advantage it has. But IS350 simply does not handle well. Personally i find this to be pointless, since straight line performance does not mean IS350 is a better car. It simply means that Is350 engine is more powerful and excellent in the straight.

Overall, i still think IS350 is a disaster. Excellent power and nothing else.

On the flip, you can say the BMW handles very well and is fun to drive, but nothing else. But its all what you look for in a car, my point is that people have different criteria for cars based on their driving style, driving environment, etc. Thats why i don't really think you can call either car a disaster. I think both cars adhere to their company philosphy very well. And it's not like the BMW doesn't have shortcomings. I just think they appeal to different types of drivers, even though they are pitted up against each other in the market.
Old 11-15-05, 08:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
On the flip, you can say the BMW handles very well and is fun to drive, but nothing else. But its all what you look for in a car, my point is that people have different criteria for cars based on their driving style, driving environment, etc. Thats why i don't really think you can call either car a disaster. I think both cars adhere to their company philosphy very well. And it's not like the BMW doesn't have shortcomings. I just think they appeal to different types of drivers, even though they are pitted up against each other in the market.
BMW's don't even handle that well, it' just that many people like the steering feel. Look at slalom and skidpad tests, they consistently score lower than their competition.
Old 11-15-05, 09:08 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Whatever you say...
It's true for the previous 3 series they never tested 0.92 g like the G35 coupe did, I know the 645ci had done even better than that though
Old 11-15-05, 10:15 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Then again it could have been setup that way guys. I went to a GM Autoshow in Motion even this past weekend. Similar setups and they basically had every model GM vehicle made, but they had compeittor BASE MODELS at the show. Base model Accord, Camry, BMW, Lexus ES330, and so on. It's sad they did this because people who like cars know and will catch on to this. lol
Not really. They did have a Camry XLE V6 there. That is not exactly a base model Camry. They also went with a corolla LE.

But they did choose a base LX V6 accord though.

They also had a bse Audi A4 3.2, a barebone 325i (no sports package) and a base 530i. Come to think of it, they had a base E350 as well.
Old 11-15-05, 10:18 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is all the reading u need about the IS 350 vs 330
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=1sickreview

Ther 330 in Atlanta was a LOADED sport model. It wasn't some base 330 or 325. It was clear the 330 was a better handler but not as fast. Its clear when you factor in price and reliability, the IS is more than a match for the 3.

And to say the IS is a disaster is absurd.
IS is a diaster for what lexus intended to be.

It suppose to be a true 3 series fighter with performance oriented. Hence it got the RWD, and in small tight package to give it better handling as well as straightline power.

However, IS350 handles horribly, and far worse than IS300 it replaces. Therefore in this respect, IS failed miserably.

Lexus did the benchmark with 330i not me. If lexus intends to take the fun away from IS, why bother with IS at all. Put the engine in the ES300 and we are done. ES has better room, cheaper, and probably would handle just as bad as IS.
Old 11-15-05, 10:30 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by chiawei
IS is a diaster for what lexus intended to be.

It suppose to be a true 3 series fighter with performance oriented. Hence it got the RWD, and in small tight package to give it better handling as well as straightline power.

However, IS350 handles horribly, and far worse than IS300 it replaces. Therefore in this respect, IS failed miserably.

Lexus did the benchmark with 330i not me. If lexus intends to take the fun away from IS, why bother with IS at all. Put the engine in the ES300 and we are done. ES has better room, cheaper, and probably would handle just as bad as IS.
have you driven the new IS with the performance package?
Old 11-15-05, 10:40 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Och
BMW's don't even handle that well, it' just that many people like the steering feel. Look at slalom and skidpad tests, they consistently score lower than their competition.
hmm?

Let's see

330i 0.89G, slalom 61.7, uses eRE050AW-rated
A4 3.2, 0.83G, 60.0, uses much better CSC2 tires in this class.
CTS, 0.83, 62.1, el cheapo RE050A W-rated
G35 0.85, 60.0, uses cheapo Turanza
IS350, 0.87, 58.7, dunlop SP sport maxx Y-rated (higher grip than W)
9-3, 0.81, 60.6, CPC 94V
S60R AWD, 0.85, 61.8- probably the best tire in the class with P-zero rosso.
TL, 0.91, 62.5, el cheapo RE030. Which is remarkable consider its FWD and cheapo tire.

330i only lost to TL in terms of hard numbers in this class.
Old 11-15-05, 10:42 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xioix
have you driven the new IS with the performance package?
I did during the taste of lexus event. On top of that, the car was equipped with pilot sport 2 which is significantly better than the sportmaxx that comes with customer cars.
Old 11-15-05, 10:45 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
I understand that people have different priority. I am not questioning that. I am simply stating that Lexus benchmark against the 330i sports with the IS350. From my experience with IS350 it is a total disaster when you compare to 330i sports. The engine and power train is excellent. But the rest of vehicle dynamic just never catched up to that excellent engine and transmission.

That's why i fail to see the purpose of IS350. Or should i say lexus totally missed the target it set out to do with the IS350.
Old 11-15-05, 10:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The new IS350 is a disaster? lol...such childish bashing.

Quick Reply: IS350 vs E90 330i