Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2 Door Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 03:02 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 397 Likes on 276 Posts
Default 2 Door Camry

When was the last time you saw a 3rd generation 2-door Camry? I spotted one today, the first time I have EVER seen one in the U.S. From what I gather, they were only made for the MYs 1994 and 1995, then the 2 door was discontinued as it sold very poorly. You guys seen any?

Old 11-15-05, 03:09 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea i see them alot here..i saw bout 2 days actually
Old 11-15-05, 03:17 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haven't seen one recenty, but my mom has a friend with one
Old 11-15-05, 03:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I used to have a 1992 Camry SE (4dr, 5 speed) and noticed them all the time when they first came out. I remember seeing one on the street before I even read about it... looked at the car for like two minutes before realizing it was a 2 door, lol.

Still see them fairly regularly, one guy near me has an SE similar to the red one posted above but without the gold package thankfully.

I think the Solara really filled the niche where these used to be. Not exact roll-over in models, but IMO functionally so especially at first.

I'm sure Flip will come chip in and set the record straight though, he's a deep expert in this area.
Old 11-15-05, 03:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Precursor to the Solara, which makes me wonder, if that didn't sell well, why is the Solara doing o.k. now?
Old 11-15-05, 03:44 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the way those models looked... very clean, very simple. There was somebody at my college that had one with what looked like every single aftermarket part ever made for the Camry (all 4 of them). It was quite tasteful, and a nice reprieve from the usual rice.
Old 11-15-05, 03:45 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Precursor to the Solara, which makes me wonder, if that didn't sell well, why is the Solara doing o.k. now?
different design maybe
Old 11-15-05, 04:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup i have seen quite a few of these before on the road. thank god toyota discontinued the car, it's horrible...
Old 11-15-05, 05:07 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 397 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup i have seen quite a few of these before on the road. thank god toyota discontinued the car, it's horrible...
I don't think it looks all that bad...
Old 11-15-05, 05:15 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

I've seen a couple here and there around my area. Pretty interesting I think. Yeah there sales sucked we know that, but they evolved a lot like the rest of Toyotas line up and became the Solara.
Old 11-15-05, 07:27 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

One of my friends had a white two door a LONG time ago. It was the hottness... had 4 15" subs lowered and some sharp wheels. I loved riding around in that thing. His sub set up inspired me to buy two of his 15's and put them in my Camry. Damn that car was the hotness!!
Old 11-15-05, 07:37 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

I saw one with a soft top a few months ago..
Old 11-15-05, 07:50 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I saw one in that Steve Martin movie "Cheaper by the Dozen" (I think) and I had no idea they existed at that point. Personally, I think they look good. Good proportions, fine smooth car. I wouldn't mind one for a daily beater but the normal Camry sedan is just more practical.

James
Old 11-15-05, 08:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
I don't think it looks all that bad...
for a car that's sooo "sedan" to begin with, the coupe just doesn't look right i think
Old 11-15-05, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Yeah, it was only sold a couple years and sold poorly. THe interior was identical, everything pretty much.

The Solora is a huge jump, a totally different body and interior to the Camry, though they share the same underpinnings.

Overview

Now Toyota's Camry line has something for just about everybody.

Previous Camry models, including sedans and wagons, have been successfully marketed as family vehicles. With the introduction of the coupe, which can compete with the likes of the Ford Thunderbird and Pontiac Grand Prix, there's now a Camry that can appeal to a different type of buyer.

The Camry Coupe brings legendary Toyota quality to the coupe market segment in three different levels of trim and standard equipment: DX, LE and SE. The DX base model is a price leader. The LE and SE Coupes offer a greater variety of standard features, with LE leaning toward luxury and SE offering a more sporty flavor.

Our test model was the Camry SE Coupe. It was pricey, topping out at $26,830. It included such expensive options as a moonroof, a premium sound system, leather interior, anti-lock brakes (ABS) and a security System. But its price was still comparable to Thunderbird and Grand Prix models loaded with the same premium equipment. The top-of-the-line SE Coupe is offered only with a powerful 188-hp, four-cam, 24-valve V6 engine.

Model Lineup

N/A

Walkaround

The Camry SE Coupe looks impressive. See it for the first time and you immediately want to know who makes it. It looks more lean and trim than the Thunderbird or Grand Prix-it's less massive-looking than the Thunderbird, and its styling has more forethought than that of the Grand Prix, which has added-on body cladding.

Toyota stylists have hit a high water mark here. The Coupe SE bears an unmistakable resemblance to the Camry sedans and wagons, but it's also a fine-looking coupe on its own.

The Camry Coupe has a mono-chromatic paint scheme with body-colored protective side molding and bumpers. Our SE model was finished in Cashmere Beige Metallic. There are a number of distinctive design touches such as wraparound parking, turn signal and side marker lights. Another nice detail: We opened the gas tank access door and found a small, tray-like device that held the gas cap while we filled up. Fit-and-finish were of Toyota's usual quality-which is to say, the best.

Interior Features

The front bucket seats were comfortable. The six-way adjustable driver's seat (standard on the SE coupe) easily accommodated short and tall members of our test team. All controls and switches were readily available and well-marked, and they operated smoothly.

We predict this car's interior will be popular with coupe fanciers-it is definitely in the cockpit format. Speedometer, tachometer and all other gauges and lights are mounted above the steering wheel in a panel shaded by an eyelid that curves to the right and down to encompass air-conditioning/heating vents and controls and a premium sound system. This all blends into a console that holds a storage bin, cupholders and a gear selector for the four-speed, electronically controlled Intelligent automatic transmission.

The optional leather seating package includes a leather-wrapped four-spoke steering wheel. Dual air bags are standard, as are a host of other items such as power windows and door locks, cruise control, automatic illuminated entry, air conditioning and a 60/40 split rear seatback that provides access to the trunk and enables longer cargo such as skis to be stowed while still accommodating a passenger. This is an idea borrowed from sport utility vehicles and is so handy we wonder why all coupes don't offer it.

When we tried the moonroof, we found it to be a worthwhile option. When it was open, there was some noise intrusion-but a lot less than we expected. And while it did ventilate the cabin, it didn't blast us out of the vehicle. In fact, this was a moonroof that could be used in the winter - even in cold-weather climates.

Driving Impressions

The Camry SE Coupe performs and rides like the Camry sedans. The suspension action is firm, positive and sporty. The aluminum V6 engine pumps out a serious 203 pound-feet of torque, but its 188 hp is less than the horsepower on the upscale Thunderbird and Grand Prix models. However, the front-wheel drive Camry is a shade lighter than similarly equipped rear-wheel drive Thunderbird and Grand Prix models. The V6 Camry SE Coupe is more responsive than its Ford and Pontiac competitors equipped with standard engines. Compared with the 160-hp Grand Prix, for example, Camry comes out on top-most likely because of better breathing through the four-cam, 24valve arrangement.

On to the four-speed electronically controlled automatic transaxle. It's intelligent, which is Toyota's way of saying it's possible for the transaxle to perform in either a normal or a power setting. A driving pattern selector switch alters the shift points to provide lower gearing for more economical normal driving, or more power for acceleration. This device is located on the gear selector lever, which also holds a switch for over-drive.

Our test Camry Coupe was equipped with four-wheel disc brakes (standard on the SE model) and optional ABS. Braking was exceptional, furthering our impression that this is a serious sports car. This notion also was furthered by the standard specially tuned sport suspension system that includes stiffer, gas-filled shock absorbers and bushings, and body mounts that provide greater road feel. Handling was, in a word, outstanding.

Summary

Just when the demand for Japanese products in the US. automotive market falls off, Toyota launches a coupe in its successful Camry series. A marketing mistake? Not likely. Toyota appears to be in the U.S. car market for the long haul, and the Camry Coupe is the latest manifestation of that commitment.

We think the Camry SE Coupe will be a formidable competitor in the sport coupe market. It is handsome and comfortable, and it offers top-of-the-line performance. As well as boasting many standard features, the SE Coupe is more trim and seemingly more agile than the competition. It also has that fabulous Toyota fit-and-finish, an objective other automakers are trying to attain. And in case patriotism is an issue, this car is built in Kentucky. All and all, the Camry SE is an impressive case. Ford and Pontiac should be more than a little concerned.

Quick Reply: 2 Door Camry