Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you remember this car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 03:16 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Do you remember this car?

I'm sure some of you remember this car.

Old 11-15-05, 03:24 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vector W8!!

EDIT: I think I was around 11 or 12 when this came out, had the brochure and everything.

Last edited by Technics; 11-15-05 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-15-05, 03:41 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

I remember that car... barely.

Didn't they have problems with them catching fire or something?
Old 11-15-05, 04:09 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ugggh. The Vector. Back in the early 90s, HRE used to make the wheels for that thing... the three-bladed ones with the slit cut into the spoke. Considering how old the design is, the car doesn't look too bad, although I find it incredibly dated-looking today.

I've been up close & personal with these cars, even met the designer, Jerry Wiegert. Wiegert is one of those odd combinations of designer/entrepreneur, even delving into watercraft and other transportation fantasies. The car might have been more successful if it weren't for financial issues that have haunted Wiegert, seemingly ever since he graduated college. He is one of those eccentric people with a million ideas, 13 minutes and $27 he can dedicate to each idea. He is, unfortunately, seemingly scatterbrained and disorganized.

I previewed the "new Vector" about 18 months ago, with the idea that I would measure it for and specify a wheel fitment. What I found was a fiberglass styling buck on a tubular steel frame held together with resin and screws. Some of the suspension was in place- old C4 Corvette arms and knuckles. Honestly, it wasn't even enough of a car to get accurate measurements from.

Jerry waxed poetic about the car and it's Viper V-10 powerplant, which was sitting in on a pallet a corner of the shop. He showed me photos of the car driving down the street, looking menacing in flat black paint. He even filled-in the blanks - it was the exact same styling buck I had just seen, pushed down the street at about 5 mph with the photographer panning to create the illusion of speed.

Then he asked if I knew of any investors who might help him make the car a reality... I was supposed to build wheels for this guy, but he had no money to finish the car! Of course, if my company "sponsored" the first set of wheels, the car (and the wheels) would get all sorts of exposure in the magazines, plus a lucrative contract for all future production Vector wheels.

Mr. Wiegert, that first set of wheels- your cost is $5000. Cash. Not company check.

In retrospect, I am stunned that the original Vector ever got built. Investors got burned badly on the original one... I do know wealthy investors, but I'd never admit that to Jerry.

But hey, Andre Agasi had one of the originals (actually, I think he owned two).

PT Barnum said it: there's one born every minute.
Old 11-15-05, 05:05 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

This car is featured in the film "Rising Sun" for a moment for those who care to see.

Jon
Old 11-15-05, 05:16 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!! A Vecto. To this day is it is still a car I would love to experience in person.
Old 11-15-05, 05:34 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
This car is featured in the film "Rising Sun" for a moment for those who care to see.

Jon
Ah, I knew I've seen this car somewhere before...Eddie Sakamura rolled in it right? Thanks for jogging my memory.
Old 11-15-05, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sieze......where on earth did you find THAT? Is that your latest set of wheels? if so, congragulations.....Vectors are not exactly a dime a dozen on E-Bay.

( Yeah, I know.....somebody's going to reply, saying LOL or LMAO...that's not his car.....but I guess I'll have to hear it from you.
Old 11-15-05, 08:39 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

That's right!

Too bad he was driving it for only like 5 seconds before the plot of the movie shifted to some other matters......

Jon

Originally Posted by BR1AN
Ah, I knew I've seen this car somewhere before...Eddie Sakamura rolled in it right? Thanks for jogging my memory.
Old 11-15-05, 08:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Ugggh. The Vector. Back in the early 90s, HRE used to make the wheels for that thing... the three-bladed ones with the slit cut into the spoke. Considering how old the design is, the car doesn't look too bad, although I find it incredibly dated-looking today.

I've been up close & personal with these cars, even met the designer, Jerry Wiegert. Wiegert is one of those odd combinations of designer/entrepreneur, even delving into watercraft and other transportation fantasies. The car might have been more successful if it weren't for financial issues that have haunted Wiegert, seemingly ever since he graduated college. He is one of those eccentric people with a million ideas, 13 minutes and $27 he can dedicate to each idea. He is, unfortunately, seemingly scatterbrained and disorganized.

I previewed the "new Vector" about 18 months ago, with the idea that I would measure it for and specify a wheel fitment. What I found was a fiberglass styling buck on a tubular steel frame held together with resin and screws. Some of the suspension was in place- old C4 Corvette arms and knuckles. Honestly, it wasn't even enough of a car to get accurate measurements from.

Jerry waxed poetic about the car and it's Viper V-10 powerplant, which was sitting in on a pallet a corner of the shop. He showed me photos of the car driving down the street, looking menacing in flat black paint. He even filled-in the blanks - it was the exact same styling buck I had just seen, pushed down the street at about 5 mph with the photographer panning to create the illusion of speed.

Then he asked if I knew of any investors who might help him make the car a reality... I was supposed to build wheels for this guy, but he had no money to finish the car! Of course, if my company "sponsored" the first set of wheels, the car (and the wheels) would get all sorts of exposure in the magazines, plus a lucrative contract for all future production Vector wheels.

Mr. Wiegert, that first set of wheels- your cost is $5000. Cash. Not company check.

In retrospect, I am stunned that the original Vector ever got built. Investors got burned badly on the original one... I do know wealthy investors, but I'd never admit that to Jerry.

Good story, thanks for sharing. Yeah, it was to be the American supercar but you showed us why not.

Old 11-15-05, 11:33 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sieze......where on earth did you find THAT? Is that your latest set of wheels? if so, congragulations.....Vectors are not exactly a dime a dozen on E-Bay.

( Yeah, I know.....somebody's going to reply, saying LOL or LMAO...that's not his car.....but I guess I'll have to hear it from you.
hahha, nah bro that ain't my car.

If I had that type of money to spend on a car it definitely wouldn't be on a Vector. I'd opt for the new Corvette ZO6 with Lingenfelter treatment
Old 11-16-05, 01:34 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i like it very much any more pics
Old 11-16-05, 03:57 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4

Damn Bob, you know a whole lot of people in the industry.
Great story!!