Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Hybrid Sports Car "Priapus" Gets Greenlight???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 04:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota Hybrid Sports Car "Priapus" Gets Greenlight???

http://www.glossynews.com/artman/pub...apus-845.shtml

Man, I dont know how true this is as we have heard rumors ever since this car was introduced. Plus I dont know that much about this source. Posted to see what yall think about this one.

Toyota Hybrid Sports Car "Priapus" Gets Greenlight
By Brian K. White
Sep 17, 2005, 20:39
Image courtesy of Toyota.

Toyota Motor Corp. set themselves apart from American automakers in the 80's and 90's by designing quality vehicles absent of planned functional obsolescences. This decade Toyota made their mark by introducing the Prius, the first hybrid car to hit the market. Critics have praised it while still dubbing it a "gutless crackerbox", but now crackers have a sporty carriage of testosterone to choose while pretending to remain eco-friendly. Call it the hybrid Volta or the inbred Priapus, either way it still smells like raw pheramones.

Toyota's concept car, designed inside by the rigorous engineering team at Toyota, sports a flashy Italian design from the skin up as conceptualized by famed Italian designer Giugiaro of ItalDesign.

Forget the rickety Mexican taxicab style and performance offered by other hybrids. Thanks to a 3-liter V6 augmented by dual front and rear electric motors, this car boasts a breakneck 0-60 mph in just over four seconds while still offering around 30/mpg under normal driving conditions.

Critical sport enthusiasts feared the car would never reach production status and criticized Toyota as being the last car maker not to release a trophy sports car. Honda/Accura has it's NSX, Chrysler Motors has run the Dodge Viper and Plymouth Prowler. Even General Motors entered the game with their SSR pickup truck, but the wealthy Toyota remained the lone hold out.

Tuesday, Toyota Motors shocked industry analysts with the announcement that their critically acclaimed concept car, previously named the Volta, after the man who discovered electricity, redubbed "the Priapus" by both Car & Driver and Road & Track, will be available to consumers in Germany by Christmas 2005, and the U.S. three months later.

MSRP for the "three-plus-one coupe" is expected to be around $72,000 and is expected to revolutionize the independent racing circuit. Cylinder boring and other performance modifications are expected to be available on a very limited basis, but weekend race enthusiasts are no less prepared to embrace the vehicle. Orders are already being accepted so contact your local Toyota dealership to place a deposit on this piece of automotive history now. Production will be limited and no one doubts this will become an instant classic.

Experts suggest early models should be available on Ebay for prices from $120,000 to $165,000 within weeks of US market release.

On another note, what ever happeend to that MR2 we saw earlier this year running around the Ring?? They said that was suppose to come out next year or the following year as a hybrid MR2. Havent heard anything about that either.
Old 11-16-05, 05:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Toyota Priapus or Volta (I prefer Volta, as Priapus in latin means Phallus) is still a concept and has not been confirmed to go into production.

I believe that with that pricetag, the honor should go to Lexus, not Toyota. Perhaps it can become the hybrid version of the LF-A?

Personally, I think that a hybrid sportscar sounded great a couple of years ago when the Prius came out. However, with newer technology (and future technology that will be introduced prior to 2008), I think that the Priapus/Volta will quickly become obsolete when other fast-hybrids are introduced, such as the LS600h.
Old 11-16-05, 05:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

The priapus name is a joke (=phallus), it's been posted somewhere else before more than a year or 2 ago . . .
Old 11-16-05, 06:15 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very old fake news article
Old 11-16-05, 07:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beside the obvious joke, does anyone think that the Volta will truly get the green light? When the idea was introduced in early 2004, it seemed like a feasable project. Now, with all the hype, it seems like (and is treated as) a joke.

Thoughs?
Old 11-16-05, 08:51 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Beside the obvious joke, does anyone think that the Volta will truly get the green light? When the idea was introduced in early 2004, it seemed like a feasable project. Now, with all the hype, it seems like (and is treated as) a joke.

Thoughs?
It's likely that Toyota will develop a hybrid sports car. Toyota already owns the titles to the world's first luxury hybrid SUV (RX400h), the world's first luxury hybrid sedan (GS450h), and the world's first truely practical hybrid sedan (the Prius. Insight is far from being practical). Having the world's first hybrid sportscar will really mean something.

As for the Volta, it should fill in the gap between the next Supra and the Lexus GT500. A pricetag of around 75k~80k sounds about right.
Old 11-16-05, 09:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
It's likely that Toyota will develop a hybrid sports car. Toyota already owns the titles to the world's first luxury hybrid SUV (RX400h), the world's first luxury hybrid sedan (GS450h), and the world's first truely practical hybrid sedan (the Prius. Insight is far from being practical). Having the world's first hybrid sportscar will really mean something.

As for the Volta, it should fill in the gap between the next Supra and the Lexus GT500. A pricetag of around 75k~80k sounds about right.
Bingo. Goodness its always good to see you post.

Trending Topics

Old 11-16-05, 09:57 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my question is, will hybrid work in a sports car? I haven't driven a 400h yet, but from other peoples reviews, i've gotten that if u floor it, the electric motor has about 7-10 seconds (i forgot exactly how much) of juice before it needs to recharge. So in a sports car.... lets say u were driving on a track with a long straightaway or something, and lets say the electric motor can provide full power for 15 seconds at a time.... what happens if the straightaway is longer? That'll be a big power dropoff it would seem.
Old 11-17-05, 02:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
So my question is, will hybrid work in a sports car? I haven't driven a 400h yet, but from other peoples reviews, i've gotten that if u floor it, the electric motor has about 7-10 seconds (i forgot exactly how much) of juice before it needs to recharge. So in a sports car.... lets say u were driving on a track with a long straightaway or something, and lets say the electric motor can provide full power for 15 seconds at a time.... what happens if the straightaway is longer? That'll be a big power dropoff it would seem.
those people probably never drove it either :-).

Hybrid sports car will work just fine, because you do not need constant acceleration enough to deplate the batteries. As soon as you let of the gas, engine can juice up the batteries (and brakes of course). Prius already does this to certain level - for example, when you are going up the steep mountain, as soon as you stop accelerating, it uses engine to fill the battery up. Sports car would do that aggresivly. And thats of course for racing on big tracks, there is no way you would run out of battery on normal road.