Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Technology Failure on the W221 S-Class Embarrasses Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05 | 03:51 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Hahaha!

That's a shame. People will still buy them though because it has a 3 pointed star attatched.

Also, why are only 3 valued at $500,000? Even if they were all S600's w/ 12 cylinder engines they wouldn't be worth that much. Unless it's because they are pre-production.
Old 11-17-05 | 05:01 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Also, why are only 3 valued at $500,000? Even if they were all S600's w/ 12 cylinder engines they wouldn't be worth that much. Unless it's because they are pre-production.
Notice the domain name of the link--the report is from Australia.
Old 11-17-05 | 05:07 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

This is exactly what MB didn't need - people are already super critical of their obvious quality drop off, and a huge media blunder like this on a new technology is just awful! This is totally one of those worst case scenarios that come true... Wouldn't those MB test engineers have thought to just "maybe" do a dry run before calling in the TV crew??! Wow - what a mess.
Old 11-17-05 | 09:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Coffey454
This is exactly what MB didn't need - people are already super critical of their obvious quality drop off, and a huge media blunder like this on a new technology is just awful! This is totally one of those worst case scenarios that come true... Wouldn't those MB test engineers have thought to just "maybe" do a dry run before calling in the TV crew??! Wow - what a mess.
I agree. I think this technology is ridiculous. Just get a damn chauffer is you don't want to drive.

What kills me is, people say how you "drive" a Benz but they are more remote than a Lexus at this point. Your being driven, your not driving.

And your trying to tell me with all those engineers NO ONE THOUGH ABOUT THE STEEL TUNNEL BEFORE THEY TESTED THE CARS???

I call B.S. It failed. I just said in the other tthread its just a matter of time one of these systems fail and a company gets sued.

lawprofsm, I already think a FX owner is suing b/c of the rear back-up camera on the FX or lack of it...
Old 11-17-05 | 11:24 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Wow, thats pretty hilarious! hahahaha
Old 11-18-05 | 07:00 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Originally Posted by JLSC4
In addition, look at the backend of the first car in the pic. It's an 06', not an 07'. Anyway, this is too funny.
Old 11-18-05 | 08:31 AM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Good Lord!!! ....with this kind of "So Called" sophisticated technology there is simply no excuse for this failure but what is new with Mercedes? It should have not failed in a steel closed enviroment. With all that costly R&D, they still learn the hard way. And why in the world was it in a steel closed enviroment to begin with??? And not out doors? Something was up, and for starters they were all not to sure about this radar tech....ohh well back to the drawing board with more added confusion and wasted money.... .... and by the way aren't cars made of steel?!?!?

Last edited by Bercasio; 11-18-05 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-18-05 | 08:41 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

lol...I think it is embarrassing for MB, and the test may not mimic "real life" exactly, but it still should have worked (you would think you would test it before doing something like this).

My hat is off to MB for looking into new technologies, but maybe they should focus on the driver controlling the car first and tighten up there issues in manufacturing before spending all the excess euros on radical technologies that are trivial at best for car drivers.

If you need someone braking for you, you shouldn't be driving...get a chauffer!
Old 11-18-05 | 10:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Sad. Problem is the system (any) can be fooled by false negatives, that is, the system assumes if no radar comes back that there's nothing nearby, well if anything scrambles, absorbs, or deflects the radar then nothing comes back!

I see another disclaimer on the nav screen coming.
Old 11-18-05 | 11:00 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I see another disclaimer on the nav screen coming.
Sooner or later they'll run out of real estate on the screen and will require vertically scrolling through a 10-page disclaimer before an "I Accept" button appears.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-18-05 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-18-05 | 11:04 PM
MoFunk
Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Notice the domain name of the link--the report is from Australia.
Still doesn't make sense though, my old man paid 280,000 for a 2005 S500L (250,000 is the sticker price i believe). So three would be considerably more than $500,000.

Unless they're the S350s... even then, i think they're round the 180,000 dollar mark.
Old 11-19-05 | 01:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MoFunk
Still doesn't make sense though, my old man paid 280,000 for a 2005 S500L (250,000 is the sticker price i believe). So three would be considerably more than $500,000.

Unless they're the S350s... even then, i think they're round the 180,000 dollar mark.
it was done in Germany, where they cost more than 150,000$ USD, which is about half a mil.

Problem is that you are supposed to rely on it to brake to dead stop. Lexus system works only until certain speed, just for this same reason - computers can NOT anticipate what can happen in real life, however when manufacturer says it can, you might be inclined to believe them and use it like that... One simple error might lead to you not being around anymore.
Old 11-19-05 | 01:34 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
I don't think this test was fair. I guess only time will tell when we start to hear more stories.
So there is zero chance you will ever be in a long tunnel dug into a mountain, an underground passage as you slide under the freeway in the city, or even an underground parking garage in a high rise - which puts you under a billion tons of steel and 20 to 40 ft underground? Example- WTC

Very fair test IMO
Old 11-19-05 | 05:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Sooner or later they'll run out of real estate on the screen and will require vertically scrolling through a 10-page disclaimer before an "I Accept" button appears.
Yup. Just like every other piece of software that no one reads the license agreement for?

But for every time technology may fail, there's also someone who blames it when it wasn't in fact at fault, so creators have to take steps to protect themselves legally. It's a major problem all around.
Old 11-19-05 | 05:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
So there is zero chance you will ever be in a long tunnel dug into a mountain, an underground passage as you slide under the freeway in the city, or even an underground parking garage in a high rise - which puts you under a billion tons of steel and 20 to 40 ft underground? Example- WTC

Very fair test IMO
I thought those kind of tunnels would be concrete, not steel.

Quick Reply: Technology Failure on the W221 S-Class Embarrasses Mercedes