Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2006 Infiniti M35X (56k Skyline/Fuga/Altima warning)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2006 Infiniti M35X

http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,c...-12001,00.html

I have noticed a lot of interest lately in the Infiniti M-Series here on CL.....so I decided to make a representative of the M-Series my latest review and test-drive. A number of you CL people already own or lease M45's so I felt that I didn't need to look at that car in depth....I probably wouldn't be telling you anything you don't already know. The intro-level M35, in many ways, is like its brother G35 but with a somewhat more plush interior, so I didn't feel a need to look at that car in depth either....and many of you here at CL own or lease G35's too.
However, as you know, I have often recommended the G35X for those of you who often drive in slippery conditions.....and I reviewed the then-new Lexus GS300AWD back last spring when it first became available. Since then, the IS250AWD has debuted which competes with the AWD G35X in everything but engine size.....and Infiniti has recently introduced the M35X, which is good competition for the GS300AWD, so I felt it was a no-brainer and chose the M35X for my latest review. in addition, Carlos Ghosn, Renault / Nissan / Infiniti CEO, has been promising better interiors and fit-and-finish for Nissan and infiniti products. Is he levelling with us.....and is the company delivering? Yes.....and no. You will see in a moment.

Model tested: 2006 Infiniti AWD M35X

Base price: $43, 140

Major option: Satellite radio package

MSRP: $46, 930

Powertrain: 3.5L V6, 280 HP, 270 ft. lbs. torque, 5-speed automatic with Sportshift, AWD

PLUSSES:

Powerful, high-torque V6, even with automatic and AWD, negates the need for the heavier and more expensive 4.5L V8.

Superlative Rosewood trim on dash, console, and doors....this truly has to be seen to be believed.

Marvelous, slick-feeling and solid interior hardware...with a couple of exceptions.

Well-designed controls.....again, with one exception.

Seamless AWD system.

True sports-sedan handling.

Well-designed brakes.

MINUSES:

Lightweight, flimsy hood....I literally could not tell if it was metal or plastic until I checked the specs.

Semi-sealed, semi-buried, oil dipstick..like the BMW 3-series, you cannot just pull it out to check the oil....the electronics do that.

Engine virtually impossible to work on from above.

Econobox-level paint job out of place in a $40,000-plus vehicle.

Awkward, hard-to-use step-on emergency brake with no auto-release.

Funeral-home paint colors, again with one excepton....and too many shades of silver and gray.

Dark interior trim somewhat dull-looking, except for the superb rosewood strips.

Infiniti's " Controller " system not as bad as BMW's I-Drive but still frustrating and overly complex.

The first impression one gets of the car on the outside, from its overall shape and execution, is one of just another more-or-less standard mid-size Nissan / Infiniti product.....there is nothing out-of-the-ordinary which really differentiates this car from most of its corporate brothers.
Upon close inspection of the outside, Ghosn & Co. have a little more homework to do. The first thing that needs attention is the Nissan Sentra-grade paint job that is full of orange peel, lines, and other imperfections and somewhat lacking in gloss. And only one color....Crimson Roulette, roughly similiar to the Lexus Inferno Red, did not look like a funeral-home color, IMO. And can we please have a real hood instead of what feels like a piece of cardboard? The first gust of wind with that thing open will flip it back and tear it right off its hinges.

Open the door, however, and get inside, and..... WOW do things change. Here Ghosn and Co. have really delivered on the promise of better fit-and-finish. ALL of the hardware.....even the frustrating Controller....operate with the feel and precision of a Swiss watch. Even Lexus does no better. The real ( not imitation ) Rosewood trim......and LOTS of it, I might add.....is a real treat to the eyes, all over the dash, console, and doors.....and it is beautiful. You can tell it is real wood, not just high-gloss polished stuff that looks and feels like plastic. Well-done, Infiniti. The RWD M35 Sport, in contrast, uses a gray aluminum with a carbon-fiber type grain pattern instead.

The steering column is tilt-and-telescope, BOTH with electric motors. The leather seats have good support and drop low enough for a guy my size to wear a cap without hitting the sunroof.......cars in the last few years have been getting much better at accomodating big guys in sunroof-equipped models. The gauges full-sweep on start-up, have the traditional Infiniti yellow-orange dash lights, and electroluminescent bright-red pointers. And (as always ) you can find that silver Infiniti oval analog clock....one of the company's oldest traditions.
I have never liked I-Drive style controls ( and probably never will ). This one, however, had a superb, slick feel and precision from the silver dash ****, and was somewhat less confusing than the Bangle ones ( the salesman's knowledge and ability to demonstrate it helped a lot ) but, why can't we just have some real ***** and switches? It is so much easier and more foolproof. One good thing that did come with this system, though, was a backup camera, Controller-operated. It not only gave you a view of the rear but by different-color lines and tick marks actually showed you where the rear end would end up at different steering wheel angles. This particular car was not NAV-equipped so I could not sample that function. And the awkward foot-operated emergency brake is somewhat out of place in a sport sedan and requires you to lift your left leg high to step on it....where your knee bangs into things.

On the road, the 3.5L V6 with 280 HP and 270 ft.-lbs. of torque was more than adequate, even with the automatic and the extra weight and drag of AWD. This car will more than get out of its own way...I see no need for the more expensive and thirstier 4.5L V8 unless you just want a drag racer. No problems with the chassis, brakes, or suspension....all well-above average. The steering response on this car is first-rate....you can throw it around corners almost like a Miata, where its AWD helps grip the road like on rails. However, the power steering is a little overboosted for my tastes, does not have particularly good centering, and in general is a couple of notches.....as is everybody else's......behind the class-leading BMW 3-series steering. The ride is best described as firm but not harsh....you can tell it has 45-series tires ( the M35 and M45 Sport both have 40-series). Road and wind noise are minimal.....but the mufflers and exhausts definitely make their presence known when you accelerate.

So.....to sum up........this car, outside, is no match for archrival GS300AWD. Inside, the two cars are just about even....both have outstanding fit-and-finish. The M35X scores points for some of the best wood trim available today and enormously-improved fit-and-finish over the Infinitis of just a couple of years ago. The GS scores points for having an I-Drive / Controller-free interior, slightly better refinement, and a first-rate paint job.
On the road, the GS300AWD is a better cruiser....the M35X a better sports sedan. Both have seamless AWD systems ( yet, ironically, no more seamless than Subaru AWD systems for half the price ). Neither have particularly good tires for winter but the AWD is a definite plus here. Both cost just about the same....the GS can probably be expected to retain its value a little better, but Infinitis are starting to improve in the depreciation category too.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-17-05 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-16-05, 02:25 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As usual, nice review - very fair and well written. Three things from me - first, I like the styling better than the GS, however they are both good looking cars so I can see that going either way.

More importantly to me is the paint. I'm a paint-fanatic and I agree - Infiniti paint is mediocre at best. Lexus paint is superior in almost every way (colors, lack of OP, better more uniform flake, more durable, harder clearcoat, easier to work on, single stage black, triple stage metallics). This has been a long-standing criticism I've had for Nissan/Infiniti. Even the M45 has mediocre paint. The only color I really like on the M's is Ivory Pearl (white).

Last - the rosewood. It's incredible isn't it? I know the guy who grows it / supplies it to Nissan. He actually began making it for his line of speakers and now sells it to companies as varied as car manufacturers to cell phone makers. I have the exact same stuff as the veneer on my speakers here and it really is beautiful. I'm glad Infiniti finally got an interior right.

Cheers
Old 11-16-05, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by picus
More importantly to me is the paint. I'm a paint-fanatic and I agree - Infiniti paint is mediocre at best. Lexus paint is superior in almost every way (colors, lack of OP, better more uniform flake, more durable, harder clearcoat, easier to work on, single stage black, triple stage metallics). This has been a long-standing criticism I've had for Nissan/Infiniti. Even the M45 has mediocre paint. The only color I really like on the M's is Ivory Pearl (white).

Last - the rosewood. It's incredible isn't it? I know the guy who grows it / supplies it to Nissan. He actually began making it for his line of speakers and now sells it to companies as varied as car manufacturers to cell phone makers. I have the exact same stuff as the veneer on my speakers here and it really is beautiful. I'm glad Infiniti finally got an interior right.

Cheers
Yes, I agree....the Pearl White and the Crimson are the only two colors I would get on this car. It's a shame, too......Infiniti years ago not only helped perfect the Pearl Oyster White color (along with Audi and Cadillac ) but at one time ( the pre-Ghosn era ) had some of the best paint in the buisness...as good as Lexus.

Not surprising about the speakers your friend makes...that Rosewood could be used on fine, expensive furniture.
Old 11-16-05, 03:18 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Damn dude. You are our official CL Test Driver. You honestly test drive EVERY car.

Great read as usual.

Never sat in the new M, but I definitely agree with the paint they are using now. Two years ago when we took a G35 in for trade, the paint chips on the front bumper and hood was incredible. It only had 15K miles on it. I coudnt believe it. However, this is something that isnt new to Nissan/Infiniti. My Maxima which is a 97 has many paint chips on the front. Even though it has a lot more miles now, the front when not cleaned looks damn near white from all the paint chips. lol.

Its good to hear they have improved a lot on the interiors. I was loosing a lot of faith in them(especially that horrid new Maxima interior or the lacking G35 interior). But things are finally starting to look a litle better for them.

I still dont understnad why they would use an i-Drive like controller, same with the Acura RL. But I guess someone loves it.
Old 11-16-05, 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
Damn dude. You are our official CL Test Driver. You honestly test drive EVERY car.

Great read as usual.

Never sat in the new M, but I definitely agree with the paint they are using now. Two years ago when we took a G35 in for trade, the paint chips on the front bumper and hood was incredible. It only had 15K miles on it. I coudnt believe it. However, this is something that isnt new to Nissan/Infiniti. My Maxima which is a 97 has many paint chips on the front. Even though it has a lot more miles now, the front when not cleaned looks damn near white from all the paint chips. lol.

Its good to hear they have improved a lot on the interiors. I was loosing a lot of faith in them(especially that horrid new Maxima interior or the lacking G35 interior). But things are finally starting to look a litle better for them.

I still dont understnad why they would use an i-Drive like controller, same with the Acura RL. But I guess someone loves it.
Thanks. I don't just waste people's time either at dealerships or car shows. My recommendations sometimes lead to sales. But I don't do reviews and posting just for the sake of posting....usually there is a reason for it. I may have received a request ( on or off CL ) to do so, or CL members have shown an interest in that particular line of cars.

Like I said in the review, you have to see the Rosewood trim to really appreciate it....and sample the new M35's controls for precision. Among real wood trims, the Lexus ES330, LS430, and Lincoln Zephyr come closest. Among fake wood, the Subaru Legacy / Outback is the best.

As for I-Drive type controllers.....I don't look forward to this, but the way things are going, it looks like they will eventually be standard in all but econoboxes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-16-05 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-16-05, 03:56 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

In fairness to Nissan/Infiniti's crappy paint - all Japanese manufacturers have "soft" paint, and I'd strongly advise anyone with a new Japanese car (or really any, but doubly so for Japanese) get a clear bra. Our BMW, which has almost comically hard paint, still have quite a few chips.

It's a shame you didn't drive one with NAV. I am interested to see if they imporved the VAN from the G series to the M series. The G series NAV is ok at best, but definitely a huge downgrade from Lexus NAV.
Old 11-16-05, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's a shame you didn't drive one with NAV. I am interested to see if they imporved the VAN from the G series to the M series. The G series NAV is ok at best, but definitely a huge downgrade from Lexus NAV.
I haven't tried an Honda / Acura NAV system lately, but most of the auto mag tests seem to think that they are the best. And....to be honest......I myself am not terribly computer-saavy at these types of devices.
Old 11-16-05, 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In fairness to Nissan/Infiniti's crappy paint - all Japanese manufacturers have "soft" paint, .
Yes, but compare the average Lexus paint job with the average Infiniti paint job.....there really IS no comparison.
A shame, too, because in the early 90's Infiniti paint jobs were actually better than Lexus.
Old 11-16-05, 04:26 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I haven't tried an Honda / Acura NAV system lately, but most of the auto mag tests seem to think that they are the best. And....to be honest......I myself am not terribly computer-saavy at these types of devices.

Coming from a person that has driven many newer Acuras, I can confidently say they have one of the best Nav systems in the business. Its incredibly easy to use and navigate. I acutally wrote a little review sometime last year and talked about(if you really wanna dig it up and read), easy to use, but the Voice control was a little off. I put in my address and it turned up the A/C. lol.

Sorry not tryin to jack, back on topic.
Old 11-16-05, 05:12 PM
LexFather

Another awesome review. I won't comment on the car or my take on it

Old 11-16-05, 05:45 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

My car has a ton of orange peel on it as well. See picture below. But, I have seen a ton of even new Lexuss have it as well. I have yet to see a german car have a issue like this with the paint though. Seems the Japanese has the problem. Not even GM has this issue!

A guy on autopia.org had to wetsand his WHOLE LEXUS to make the orange peel go away. He even took pictures before, process and after. I was like DAMN!

Anyways here is the picture.

And some good pics

http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,c...-12001,00.html

I have noticed a lot of interest lately in the Infiniti M-Series here on CL.....so I decided to make a representative of the M-Series my latest review and test-drive. A number of you CL people already own or lease M45's so I felt that I didn't need to look at that car in depth....I probably wouldn't be telling you anything you don't already know. The intro-level M35, in many ways, is like its brother G35 but with a somewhat more plush interior, so I didn't feel a need to look at that car in depth either....and many of you here at CL own or lease G35's too.
However, as you know, I have often recommended the G35X for those of you who often drive in slippery conditions.....and I reviewed the then-new Lexus GS300AWD back last spring when it first became available. Since then, the IS250AWD has debuted which competes with the AWD G35X in everything but engine size.....and Infiniti has recently introduced the M35X, which is good competition for the GS300AWD, so I felt it was a no-brainer and chose the M35X for my latest review. in addition, Carlos Ghosn, Renault / Nissan / Infiniti CEO, has been promising better interiors and fit-and-finish for Nissan and infiniti products. Is he levelling with us.....and is the company delivering? Yes.....and no. You will see in a moment.

Model tested: 2006 Infiniti AWD M35X

Base price: $43, 140

Major option: Satellite radio package

MSRP: $46, 930

Powertrain: 3.5L V6, 280 HP, 270 ft. lbs. torque, 5-speed automatic with Sportshift, AWD

PLUSSES:

Powerful, high-torque V6, even with automatic and AWD, negates the need for the heavier and more expensive 4.5L V8.

Superlative Rosewood trim on dash, console, and doors....this truly has to be seen to be believed.

Marvelous, slick-feeling and solid interior hardware...with a couple of exceptions.

Well-designed controls.....again, with one exception.

Seamless AWD system.

True sports-sedan handling.

Well-designed brakes.

MINUSES:

Lightweight, flimsy hood....I literally could not tell if it was metal or plastic until I checked the specs.

Semi-sealed, semi-buried, oil dipstick..like the BMW 3-series, you cannot just pull it out to check the oil....the electronics do that.

Engine virtually impossible to work on from above.

Econobox-level paint job out of place in a $40,000-plus vehicle.

Awkward, hard-to-use step-on emergency brake with no auto-release.

Funeral-home paint colors, again with one excepton....and too many shades of silver and gray.

Dark interior trim somewhat dull-looking, except for the superb rosewood strips.

Infiniti's " Controller " system not as bad as BMW's I-Drive but still frustrating and overly complex.

The first impression one gets of the car on the outside, from its overall shape and execution, is one of just another more-or-less standard mid-size Nissan / Infiniti product.....there is nothing out-of-the-ordinary which really differentiates this car from most of its corporate brothers.
Upon close inspection of the outside, Ghosn & Co. have a little more homework to do. The first thing that needs attention is the Nissan Sentra-grade paint job that is full of orange peel, lines, and other imperfections and somewhat lacking in gloss. And only one color....Crimson Roulette, roughly similiar to the Lexus Inferno Red, did not look like a funeral-home color, IMO. And can we please have a real hood instead of what feels like a piece of cardboard? The first gust of wind with that thing open will flip it back and tear it right off its hinges.

Open the door, however, and get inside, and..... WOW do things change. Here Ghosn and Co. have really delivered on the promise of better fit-and-finish. ALL of the hardware.....even the frustrating Controller....operate with the feel and precision of a Swiss watch. Even Lexus does no better. The real ( not imitation ) Rosewood trim......and LOTS of it, I might add.....is a real treat to the eyes, all over the dash, console, and doors.....and it is beautiful. You can tell it is real wood, not just high-gloss polished stuff that looks and feels like plastic. Well-done, Infiniti. The RWD M35 Sport, in contrast, uses a gray aluminum with a carbon-fiber type grain pattern instead.

The steering column is tilt-and-telescope, BOTH with electric motors. The leather seats have good support and drop low enough for a guy my size to wear a cap without hitting the sunroof.......cars in the last few years have been getting much better at accomodating big guys in sunroof-equipped models. The gauges full-sweep on start-up, have the traditional Infiniti yellow-orange dash lights, and electroluminescent bright-red pointers. And (as always ) you can find that silver Infiniti oval analog clock....one of the company's oldest traditions.
I have never liked I-Drive style controls ( and probably never will ). This one, however, had a superb, slick feel and precision from the silver dash ****, and was somewhat less confusing than the Bangle ones ( the salesman's knowledge and ability to demonstrate it helped a lot ) but, why can't we just have some real ***** and switches? It is so much easier and more foolproof. One good thing that did come with this system, though, was a backup camera, Controller-operated. It not only gave you a view of the rear but by different-color lines and tick marks actually showed you where the rear end would end up at different steering wheel angles. This particular car was not NAV-equipped so I could not sample that function. And the awkward foot-operated emergency brake is somewhat out of place in a sport sedan and requires you to lift your left leg high to step on it....where your knee bangs into things.

On the road, the 3.5L V6 with 280 HP and 270 ft.-lbs. of torque was more than adequate, even with the automatic and the extra weight and drag of AWD. This car will more than get out of its own way...I see no need for the more expensive and thirstier 4.5L V8 unless you just want a drag racer. No problems with the chassis, brakes, or suspension....all well-above average. The steering response on this car is first-rate....you can throw it around corners almost like a Miata, where its AWD helps grip the road like on rails. However, the power steering is a little overboosted for my tastes, does not have particularly good centering, and in general is a couple of notches.....as is everybody else's......behind the class-leading BMW 3-series steering. The ride is best described as firm but not harsh....you can tell it has 45-series tires ( the M35 and M45 Sport both have 40-series). Road and wind noise are minimal.....but the mufflers and exhausts definitely make their presence known when you accelerate.

So.....to sum up........this car, outside, is no match for archrival GS300AWD. Inside, the two cars are just about even....both have outstanding fit-and-finish. The M35X scores points for some of the best wood trim available today and enormously-improved fit-and-finish over the Infinitis of just a couple of years ago. The GS scores points for having an I-Drive / Controller-free interior, slightly better refinement, and a first-rate paint job.
On the road, the GS300AWD is a better cruiser....the M35X a better sports sedan. Both have seamless AWD systems ( yet, ironically, no more seamless than Subaru AWD systems for half the price ). Neither have particularly good tires for winter but the AWD is a definite plus here. Both cost just about the same....the GS can probably be expected to retain its value a little better, but Infinitis are starting to improve in the depreciation category too.
Old 11-16-05, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

None of the M's I looked at today had paint anywhere near the quality of the black one you posted. That picture is more typical of a Lexus factory paint job.

That's not to say that there isn't worse paint out there. Overall....I think Mitsubishi and Chrysler do the worst paint jobs.....Lexus and Audi the best.
Old 11-16-05, 07:08 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, but compare the average Lexus paint job with the average Infiniti paint job.....there really IS no comparison.
A shame, too, because in the early 90's Infiniti paint jobs were actually better than Lexus.
I absolutely agree that for visual quality Lexus is much better. I was just talking about the relative "hardness" of the paint. Japanese manufactures have always been on the soft side of average. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just a common trait they seem to share.

G35_TX, that guy is Mr. Singh, he hangs out here and at my.is. That's one advantage to single stage paint - the abilty to color sand.

Also, German cars can have OP too. I've seen some horrible Mercedes paint jobs, but generally they do seem a little better at it. German paint is also normally much harder for some reason, with Audi being pretty much the benchmark for "hard paint" aside from Mercedes ceramiclear.
Old 11-16-05, 07:17 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

I absolutely agree that for visual quality Lexus is much better. I was just talking about the relative "hardness" of the paint. Japanese manufactures have always been on the soft side of average. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just a common trait they seem to share.

G35_TX, that guy is Mr. Singh, he hangs out here and at my.is. That's one advantage to single stage paint - the abilty to color sand.

Also, German cars can have OP too. I've seen some horrible Mercedes paint jobs, but generally they do seem a little better at it. German paint is also normally much harder for some reason, with Audi being pretty much the benchmark for "hard paint" aside from Mercedes ceramiclear.
I dreaded evening looking at his car pictures when he did that!

I don't think the problem is soft paint. Japanese paint is actually Thinner than most other manufacture paints. This is why they CHIP easier.
Old 11-16-05, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

IGerman paint is also normally much harder for some reason, with Audi being pretty much the benchmark for "hard paint" aside from Mercedes ceramiclear.
German paint HAS to be more durable. At 150 MPH Autobahn speeds, even an insect or a tiny speck of sand or gravel hits the paint with terrific force.

Quick Reply: Review: 2006 Infiniti M35X (56k Skyline/Fuga/Altima warning)