Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will the LS be the first Lexus to ask you to touch its knob?
Yes, the knob is coming. That didn't come out right. Damnit, nor did that. You know what I mean
15.79%
No, Lexus will do study and design what is in a human's best interest
73.68%
The LS won't be the first but its coming sooner or later
5.26%
I HOPE THE KNOB COMES!!!! I LIKE TOUCHING THE KNOB!!! BRING ON I-DRIVE!!!
5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Will the next LS have a knob and the 7/S interior?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 07:28 PM
LexFather

Talking Will the next LS have a **** and the 7/S interior?

Well the 7 came with I cannot drive and the weird 2 hump dash, which all BMWs pretty much have.
The A8 doesn't have the ridiculous dash but it and the A6 have a silly **** to control things.
The Acura Rl (which isn't near these cars company) has a silly ****.
The InfinitiM35/45 (also not in these cars company) have a **** for u to turn.
The new S class has pretty much an identical 7 series dash and of course, their version of the ****.

Do these car companies like people to touch their *****???

I can borderline understand the **** when in PARK but when driving, its ridiculous. Its distracting. The only **** I like touching is mine

Now, Lexus has promised they won't go the ridiculous route but things can change. THe GS and IS thankfully have intuitive dashes without ***** and I cannot drive. But who is to say the LS isn't the first Lexus with this kind of technology?

If they do, I have faith they can make it actually work. But I still would PREFER to not have a ****.

And will the LS, take cues from the 7 and S class, with this ridiculous dash trend? Or will it follow the GS/IS in simplicity and good looks?

When trendy hits cars, good or bad, everyone does it. Will the LS get it?

IS THE LEXUS **** COMING!?!??!

Old 11-18-05, 07:32 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually dont mind the **** at all. I still dont know why all these people compain about I-Drive. Maybe its because I'm young and love technology. Either way, I welcome the know to Lexus.
Old 11-18-05, 07:37 PM
LexFather

The 2nd part of this 2 part SICK article is, will the LS have the dash that looks like they ran out of plastic to cover the passenger side.

I think the trend is for the dash of luxury cars to resemble, no joke, the interior of a yacht. (Again no joke). The Rolls Royce Phantom does this.

Now just because my car is the size of a yacht, doesn't mean it has to have the interior like one? I sometime think designers from all companies meet at extascy parties, where drunk and high, they bring crayons, number 2 pencils and scrap paper and trade ideas and make the concepts for upcoming cars.

It is a little harder today. I mean, 10-15 years ago, the only cars with wood interior were luxury cars, as power items etc etc.

Today, you can get your fake wood kit in your Honda or Kia with no thoughts. Some luxury brands still put fake wood in their cars. So its harder for true luxury brands to stand out, since what was once ONLy in luxury cars, can be had in everything.

This includes navigation, butt warmers, leather ***** (did I say **** again)leather steering wheels and interiors.

So I guess to an extent, I cannot BLAME interior designers to put so many damn ***** and buttons and even MORE wood than before, as well as making the interior so ugly, i don't think cheap cars want to follow.

So I guess that is good in a bad way.

What I am scared is the next LS may go this route. Which means so will the new SC. And the nw ES. Then the new RX etc etc etc

Lexus has said, their research indicates touch screens and less (buttons) is more. We'll see.

Old 11-18-05, 07:45 PM
LexFather

So I decided last night to replicate what these overpaid, never shaved designers do. Get high on drugs and start drawing.
Here is my rendition of the 2007 LS 460 dash.
Attached Thumbnails Will the next LS have a  knob and the 7/S  interior?-2007ls460interior.jpg  

Old 11-18-05, 08:11 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

^^^I like it. Lexus should take a look at your drawing and give you a bonus
Old 11-18-05, 09:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think the trend is for the dash of luxury cars to resemble, no joke, the interior of a yacht. (Again no joke).
Actually, wasn't the SC430 designed after yacht "interiors"? Check out old SC brochures and you'll see the frequent side-by-side shots of yachts and the SC.

As for the **** situation:

I believe that if Lexus wants to create something different, I think they should put a small ****/joystick on the steering wheel, not the center console. I think they should create a **** near where the right thumb should be, and hence have control of anything, while both hands are on the steering wheel. Lexus is really into safety, and this should comply to such standards.
Old 11-18-05, 09:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Actually, wasn't the SC430 designed after yacht "interiors"? Check out old SC brochures and you'll see the frequent side-by-side shots of yachts and the SC.

As for the **** situation:

I believe that if Lexus wants to create something different, I think they should put a small ****/joystick on the steering wheel, not the center console. I think they should create a **** near where the right thumb should be, and hence have control of anything, while both hands are on the steering wheel. Lexus is really into safety, and this should comply to such standards.
Crap, i think your right about the SC, a yacht, frech riveria and other influences. Good call

Old 11-18-05, 10:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There better NOT be a ****. If there is, I will puke. I am counting on Lexus to produce an intuitive cabin that utterly OBVIATES the need for any ridiculous ****. Come on, entry-level cars don't need it....and the complexity of luxury cars should be manageable without a ****, as it is in the current resplendent LS.
Old 11-19-05, 01:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
There better NOT be a ****. If there is, I will puke. I am counting on Lexus to produce an intuitive cabin that utterly OBVIATES the need for any ridiculous ****. Come on, entry-level cars don't need it....and the complexity of luxury cars should be manageable without a ****, as it is in the current resplendent LS.
considering how many people and journalists complain about it, I really doubt LS will get a ****.

Please Lexus, touch screen rules, no *****!
Old 11-19-05, 08:16 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think they should. I can see the usage of clearing up the clutter but when driving it's too much to look at another menu while sifting through it with the ****.
If any of you have a MP3 player and use it in your car you know what I mean. It's ridiculous to try to navigate the menus in an MP3 player while driving. I think they should keep the buttons they normally have on the dash and for more ease of use they could mount some of the buttons in the steering wheel. I find that much better than touch screen or the navigation ****.
Old 11-19-05, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well....again, it depends on what you mean by ****. Small-to-medium size CONVENTIONAL analog ***** are the best way to do things like adjust temperature, radio functions, climate control, defrosters, wipers, etc.....
Now, if you are talking about ONE large, I-Drive-style **** with an electronic screen, no, absolutely not. I have never been a fan of that type of design and never will be. I will not buy a car that has it, even if it means I have to drive a used car or a small, entry-level model.
Old 11-21-05, 06:39 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, Lexus will stay away from conforming to "the ****" that everyone else seems to be implementing. Since Lexus is really trying to sync up the brand image with luxury, voice command is probably where the LS will be headed. Since it may fail (as with any electronic device), there will have to be a back up system... possibly through the touch screen. Obviously fail safes and multiple confirmations would have to be placed between each actual shift hahaha... imagine how hilarious "sport shift" would be!!! "1! 2! 3! 3 gears ha ha ha" (think the count from sesame street lol).

Since reading minds and connecting cables to our brain is in the distant future (if even in the future), we may just see a standard shifter due to the luxury of simple operation and traditional yet innovative thinking from Lexus... Unless the "LDrive" system was fool-proof, it probably won't happen. =P Voice command for other features (climate control, rear sunshade, etc) probably will be seen in the next gen LS.
Old 11-21-05, 07:35 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

It's the wave of the future...