Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi to call new high-end sports car R8; launch scheduled for 2007

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 08:14 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up Audi to call new high-end sports car R8; launch scheduled for 2007

Posted Date: 11/15/05

Audi has made it official, its new high-end sports car will be called the Audi R8, a clear nod to the Audi R8s that have pretty much had their way at every sports car race they’ve entered in the last four or five years. That includes multiple victories at Le Mans as well as various ALMS successes.

The car began life as the Le Mans quattro concept, which was first shown at the the 2003 Frankfurt Motor Show. Audi will produce the R8 at its plant in Neckarsulm starting in late 2006, with Audi subsidiary quattro GmbH responsible for production. Official launch of the vehicle is scheduled for the second quarter of 2007.
Work has already begun on the R8, Audi says, with development and test construction at quattro GmbH and technical development at Audi underway.

The Le Mans quattro concept AutoWeek took for a test drive in 2004 (Feb. 16) was powered by a 5.0-liter, 40-valve 90-degree V10, the same block found in the Lamborghini Gallardo. Also used on the Le Mans concept was Lamborghini’s E-Gear six-speed paddle-shift transmission; a mid-engine configuration; all-wheel drive; double wishbones front and rear and an aluminum space frame.

Volkswagen said last year that the Le Mans concept, if built, would have far less horsepower than the Gallardo’s 500, as well as a significantly lower sticker price to avoid competing with the Lamborghini. Gallardos sell for about $160,000 to $170,000. So, significantly lower than that, in the $80,000 and $120,000 range, would also open up the market to a lot more Le Mans buyers.

Old 11-18-05, 08:15 PM
LexFather

If it was borderline reliable, I'd hit it. Looks sensational.

Old 11-18-05, 08:21 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1sick, this is the same thing that Chrysler is doing and Ford has done. Just curious... why do you agree with this one and not the others?
Old 11-18-05, 08:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Caught my eye the first time I saw it. It'll be an awesome car
Old 11-18-05, 08:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
1sick, this is the same thing that Chrysler is doing and Ford has done. Just curious... why do you agree with this one and not the others?
Sure. Ford is in a damn mess. They need to focus on bread and butter and cars like the Fusion, 500, Focus, etc etc to make money and get the brand rolling agian with cars.

Audi does not have this issue. Audi is selling worldwide better than ever, even though sales in the USA are small. They also continue to build cars like this, the S4, new RS4, new S6 and new S8.

So its different. They can afford to try this since they are not struggling overall.

If you want a parellel, we can go to VW. Ford and VW have issues. VW insists on going up and up instead of focusing on PEOPLE that can afford their cars. Instead, they build pricier Jettas Golfs and Passats peopel don't want. Also, they refuse to fix reliability.

That is why I condemned the Phantom and say good riddance when it leaves the USA. It provided NO HALO on the VW brand, it may have hurt it actually.

Old 11-18-05, 08:44 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

You're right Ford does need to spend more money on their bread and butter cars.

However, on the issue of Chrysler, they HAVE some good cars out already. Daimler Chrysler/Mopar is going going in a really good direction with all these cars rolling out. I believe the 300C and PT Cruiser are great successes. They've really rejuvinated the company.

All my point is is that when a company makes a supercar (or near it) car, their sales tend to be affected positively. I'm sure the fact that Audi and Lamborghini are owned by the same company tends to affect Audi sales.

I guess the Halo effect is more based on individuals. Some people get affected positively, while some dont. On average, I think people think positively when a car company makes an exotic.
Old 11-18-05, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
You're right Ford does need to spend more money on their bread and butter cars.

However, on the issue of Chrysler, they HAVE some good cars out already. Daimler Chrysler/Mopar is going going in a really good direction with all these cars rolling out. I believe the 300C and PT Cruiser are great successes. They've really rejuvinated the company.

All my point is is that when a company makes a supercar (or near it) car, their sales tend to be affected positively. I'm sure the fact that Audi and Lamborghini are owned by the same company tends to affect Audi sales.

I guess the Halo effect is more based on individuals. Some people get affected positively, while some dont. On average, I think people think positively when a car company makes an exotic.
It "halo" ususally works. Recently even though its not an exotic, the 350Z has everyone in a damn Nissan thinking they drive a sports car. Porsche Carerra GT creates a halo on the 911 and the new Caymen. The success of the LS creates a halo on teh rest of the Lexus line.

Another supercar that didn't really create a halo was the BMW Z8. It just didn't pack a WHOO WHOO wiht people. But in comparison, the M5/M6 does create a HUGE halo on the brand.

As does AMG cars on the Benz line.

Old 11-18-05, 09:12 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It "halo" ususally works. Recently even though its not an exotic, the 350Z has everyone in a damn Nissan thinking they drive a sports car. Porsche Carerra GT creates a halo on the 911 and the new Caymen. The success of the LS creates a halo on teh rest of the Lexus line.

Another supercar that didn't really create a halo was the BMW Z8. It just didn't pack a WHOO WHOO wiht people. But in comparison, the M5/M6 does create a HUGE halo on the brand.

As does AMG cars on the Benz line.
True. I also agree with you that that Z8 was not a hit. Might be because for that insane price tag you dont get as much as other companies offer.
Old 11-19-05, 03:24 AM
2ndchance
Pole Position

I can't believe they're desecrating the R8 name for this car. This is, and always will be the only R8 in my mind:
Attached Thumbnails Audi to call new high-end sports car R8; launch scheduled for 2007-audi_r8_02.jpg  
Old 11-19-05, 10:18 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That does look really good.
A bit over my budget though
Old 01-23-06, 06:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Looks very good, I think it will be bigger than the TT .
If it seats as comfortable as a 911, it's good enough for me.
Old 01-23-06, 07:29 AM
LexFather

In the new EVO, they state the F430 is the benchmark for performance and the 911 the benchmark for everyday use.

Should be out next year, its mid-engined too!

Old 01-23-06, 11:34 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it'll be a compact design but bigger then the TT.
Old 03-28-06, 05:44 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Spy Shots . . .

The car formally known as the Le Mans Quattro was recently caught on public roads around the Nürburgring in Germany. The concept featured a V10 "biturbo" engine with FSI to produce 610 bhp at 6,800 rpm. We'd guess the production version of this supercar, which looks close to production readiness in these photos, will debut at the Paris Show this fall.
Attached Thumbnails Audi to call new high-end sports car R8; launch scheduled for 2007-zzz.jpg  
Old 03-28-06, 05:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

. . . . . . . . . .
Attached Thumbnails Audi to call new high-end sports car R8; launch scheduled for 2007-zzz.jpg  

Quick Reply: Audi to call new high-end sports car R8; launch scheduled for 2007