Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jealous of the new Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 09:09 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jealous of the new Avalon

I've noticed that most of the new Avalons I see have smaller wheel gaps than a stock 2nd or 3rd gen GS. They seem to have between a one and two finger gap, stock. I swear they look lower than where I have my teins set right now.

Since they are FWD, I'm really not that jealous , but they are great looking cars.

Last edited by chuckb; 11-18-05 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-18-05, 09:26 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I've actually sen some with nicer rims than that.. alomost like a silver 5-star type of rim... It looks like a 18'' rim to... They ae looking better....
Old 11-18-05, 09:36 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easily the best looking Avalon to date.
Old 11-18-05, 09:39 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I swear they look lower than where I have my teins set right now.
You can always lower more.
Old 11-19-05, 12:20 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Well I drove the new Avalon, and it's REALLY nice. The interior is as nice as our cars..a tad nicer actually. The car is quiet, and fast. Smooooth. Overall an outstanding car that I'd gladly drive. Doesn't have the power the GS has, but it's not marketed like a sporty car. I'd opt for the Avalon over an ES330 though...
Old 11-19-05, 05:33 AM
GSXLEX
Racer

I liked Avalons when they first came out a few years ago.Only turnoff was they had bench seats and I love buckets..Dont know if they changed but yes they are hot!!
Old 11-19-05, 06:15 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure the new Avalons are very nice, but historically there has always been something that I didn't like, it just flat turned me away. The tail lights or the headights or the dash layout and as another poster stated the bench seat.
Old 11-19-05, 07:17 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen a couple around town on 20's and it looks like a 745 at times, I really love the new look but it need upgraded wheels. it really changes the car from really nice to crazy hot when sitting on 20's..
Old 11-19-05, 07:42 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Chuck -- I went and drove one after I sold the 98 and before I picked up the 99. My first impression was that the car was fast -- I mean, really fast. The 3.5 is a great engine and Lexus should have brought it out with the 3GS from the get go as opposed to delaying its introduction a few years. Once past the engine, though, I had some issues with the car. First, the interior was laid out a little quirky -- there were "trap doors" for literally every function on the dash. I guess the idea was to give it a very clean and finished look, but the end result is a little off in my opinion. Second, the ride was way too soft for my liking. This car is definitely geared towards an older crowd. Lastly, the car really wasn't sporty at all, even in the touring edition. They say that the suspension is a bit firmer in the touring, but I really couldn't feel the difference. I know you said it looks lower, but it definitely doesn't ride like it is. Also, with the touring edition, you lose a few key features that are present on the Limited. For one, you cannot (not even as an option) get heated seats with the touring. There were a few other things that were a little strange as well. Anyway, I guess my overall impression was that I loved the engine, but wasn't thrilled with the car.

e
Old 11-19-05, 08:13 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSXLEX
I liked Avalons when they first came out a few years ago.Only turnoff was they had bench seats and I love buckets..Dont know if they changed but yes they are hot!!
The bench is no more in the new Avalons.
Old 11-19-05, 08:33 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e-man
Chuck -- I went and drove one after I sold the 98 and before I picked up the 99. My first impression was that the car was fast -- I mean, really fast. The 3.5 is a great engine and Lexus should have brought it out with the 3GS from the get go as opposed to delaying its introduction a few years. Once past the engine, though, I had some issues with the car. First, the interior was laid out a little quirky -- there were "trap doors" for literally every function on the dash. I guess the idea was to give it a very clean and finished look, but the end result is a little off in my opinion. Second, the ride was way too soft for my liking. This car is definitely geared towards an older crowd. Lastly, the car really wasn't sporty at all, even in the touring edition. They say that the suspension is a bit firmer in the touring, but I really couldn't feel the difference. I know you said it looks lower, but it definitely doesn't ride like it is. Also, with the touring edition, you lose a few key features that are present on the Limited. For one, you cannot (not even as an option) get heated seats with the touring. There were a few other things that were a little strange as well. Anyway, I guess my overall impression was that I loved the engine, but wasn't thrilled with the car.

e
thanks e- like I said, I'm not really that jealous. my main comment was just that the wheel gaps seem aggressively small to me for a Toyota, especially an Avalon. I do like the outside styling.
I agree with you the interior is weak. I've never driven one but I've sat in a new one at the dealer and the interior seemed cheap. you could tell the wood was fake and stuck on in some places. once you're used to real wood in Lexus vehicles, the fake toyota crap looks even worse.

Last edited by chuckb; 11-19-05 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-19-05, 03:10 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah, they look and drive amazing we have one in our showroom floor and it does have a nice stance.

anyhow, check out this beast..... I love it.

this featured at SEMA

Attached Thumbnails Jealous of the new Avalon-index.jpg  
Old 11-19-05, 06:18 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by GATO
yeah, they look and drive amazing we have one in our showroom floor and it does have a nice stance.

anyhow, check out this beast..... I love it.

this featured at SEMA

now thats hot this and the police car make me want an avalon
Old 11-19-05, 07:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am serious, i thikn the new avalon is one pretty damn nice car!
Old 11-19-05, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am serious, i thikn the new avalon is one pretty damn nice car!
Agreed! I really like the exterior, especially in darker colors. I'm not quite as psyched about the interior though, especially the sea of panels.

Quick Reply: Jealous of the new Avalon