Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Had the International AutoShow here in San Antonio

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 09:41 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had the International AutoShow here in San Antonio

And I was quite amazed of the products this year. I will just mention a few that really caught my eyes.

1) Hyundai Sonata = You have come a very long way! I was impressed with the build quality of this car for the type of car it is. All the interior bits were excellent fit and finish. The car was roomy, and well designed. The seats were comfortable but not supportive.

2) Ford = Wow, the new cars you guys have and interiors are nice. But you guys still use way too much plasic.

3) Leuxs GS = Very nice car. Everything well laid out. I have always loved the gauges with the pod look on this car. Stereo sounded great as well.

4) Lexus IS = This cars design was a eye catcher no doubt about that. Outside it has very nice lines. It is a bit smaller than my G35 Sedan, but not by much. I would definitely take one. The interior was well laid out, gauges are nice. But the negative. They did not have one with the wood trim. This one had the painted plastic and sorry but it felt cheaper than the Hyundai or my G35. It already had scratches on it! Come on Lexus, you could have at least gave the car show a wood one.

5) Passat = This car was getting a lot of attention. It was definitely well designed inside and out. Very nice lines, and very comfortable. You can't find anything cheap on the inside of this car.

But overall, when my friend and I got back to my G35, I sat in it and was glad I had made the right decision after all. My G35 interior was better than a lot of those cars, even the Lexus IS (that model without the wood). My friends even commented how cheap it felt for a Lexus.
Old 11-20-05, 05:05 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice write-up on your observations of the International Auto Show. I look forward to going to the show here in Orlando this Friday
Old 11-20-05, 09:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by G35_TX
But overall, when my friend and I got back to my G35, I sat in it and was glad I had made the right decision after all. My G35 interior was better than a lot of those cars, even the Lexus IS (that model without the wood). My friends even commented how cheap it felt for a Lexus.
These must be your Nissan friends with you at the show I take it? The G35 interior to me is nice but is cheap in quality (and this has been echoed by many car magazines to date) to those of other makes.

I agree with you on the Sonata, Hyundai has definitely stepped up into the market. As with the Ford, it's trying to follow the Nissan cost cutting philosophy. Hate to say it but Nissan did a better job but not by much.
Old 11-21-05, 04:33 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
These must be your Nissan friends with you at the show I take it? The G35 interior to me is nice but is cheap in quality (and this has been echoed by many car magazines to date) to those of other makes.

I agree with you on the Sonata, Hyundai has definitely stepped up into the market. As with the Ford, it's trying to follow the Nissan cost cutting philosophy. Hate to say it but Nissan did a better job but not by much.
No, one actually owns a Toyota Highlander the other a F150, and the other a Honda Accord.

And pics are below of the IS300 interior bits. Love the gauges, but the middle console is CHEAP. You can't deny that. The GS was so much better. The G35 now 05+ doesn't have painted plastic. It has real alum and high quality materials, unlike the new IS. Yes in the past the G35 has, not anymore.

Old 11-21-05, 07:31 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah...

the G35 interior has always been knocked on for feeling cheap..

was it the IS250 you sat in?
Old 11-21-05, 08:40 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whoster
yeah...

the G35 interior has always been knocked on for feeling cheap..

was it the IS250 you sat in?
The one was a IS250, but still has the same dash. Just take off the wood.

The G35 03-04 got knocked on the interior not the 05+
Old 11-21-05, 11:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by G35_TX
The one was a IS250, but still has the same dash. Just take off the wood.

The G35 03-04 got knocked on the interior not the 05+
I actually prefer the look of the New IS interior over any G35...but then again this is my preference not yours.

Not to turn this into another flame war Russ but many Infiniti interiors including the G35 have been knocked for cheap looking interiors and still do to date. You cannot deny that fact at all.