Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What platform is the new Rav4 built on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 05:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What platform is the new Rav4 built on?

I was just wondering if the new Rav4 is still being built on a Corolla platform (presumably the next gen corolla?), the Tacoma platform, or a different one all together? Before the truck came out there was some speculation about it being built on a modified Tacoma platform and I was just wondering if this ended up being the case since it now has optional 4WD instead of AWD.

Can anyone clear this up? Thanks!
Old 11-22-05, 05:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe it's the same one as the new FJ Cruiser, which I believe is based on (but not the same as) the 4Runner (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Don't forget that the new Rav4 will be big, and will be able to accommodate a third row for up to seven passengers...
Old 11-22-05, 05:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I believe it's the same one as the new FJ Cruiser, which I believe is based on (but not the same as) the 4Runner (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Don't forget that the new Rav4 will be big, and will be able to accommodate a third row for up to seven passengers...
nope, Rav4 is unibody vehicle, built on its own platform. It should be variation of Avensis platform, struts up front with multilink at back.
Old 11-22-05, 09:36 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I was just wondering if the new Rav4 is still being built on a Corolla platform (presumably the next gen corolla?), the Tacoma platform, or a different one all together? Before the truck came out there was some speculation about it being built on a modified Tacoma platform and I was just wondering if this ended up being the case since it now has optional 4WD instead of AWD.

The RAV4 has always been Celica/Camry based and I wouldn't doubt it being partially related to what the tC was based off of, the Avensis. Never the Corolla.
Old 11-23-05, 04:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The RAV-4 is specifically designed to be more carlike than truck-based SUV's. It would not be built on a Tacoma platform because the Tacoma is a body-on-frame truck, designed to carry loads and tow, with separate boxed frame rails and rear leaf springs.

Flip is correct. It is based on a unibody Toyota car platform...though with with parts and hardware both unique to the RAV4 and taken from other Toyota vehicles.
Old 11-23-05, 05:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
The RAV4 has always been Celica/Camry based and I wouldn't doubt it being partially related to what the tC was based off of, the Avensis. Never the Corolla.
thing is that people in general miss-use the term platform. Platform is very loose, general term. For example, Toyota considered previous Rav4 to be based on "Corolla" platform. Same as Celica, Corolla and MR2. Those 4 cars are very, very different, they dont share same chasis, suspension or wheelbase.

When we use term platform, we think of chasis and suspension sharing basically - for example Scion xA is using Yaris's platform. It is almost indentical, mechanically wise. Same with tC and Avensis. On the other hand, Rav4 and MR2 really have nothing in common - different wheelbase, one is FWD/AWD, other is RWD with mid engine, Rav4 has multilink while MR2 has struts on all four corners..

So with having that in mind, Rav4 has its own "platform" and its own development. It is not based on any other car. Toyota spends up to a billion on designing new Rav4. Of course, they dont start from clean sheet of paper, why would they... But it is one of 20 cars in Toyota worldwide production that get the full monty :-).
Old 11-23-05, 06:02 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by spwolf
thing is that people in general miss-use the term platform. Platform is very loose, general term. For example, Toyota considered previous Rav4 to be based on "Corolla" platform. Same as Celica, Corolla and MR2. Those 4 cars are very, very different, they dont share same chasis, suspension or wheelbase.
The first RAV4 had a 3S-FE and (GE in other markets) that was derived from the Celica. The Corolla never had a modern 2.0L I-4 to date here in the states. The largest displacement ever to be on a Corolla is the 1.8L from the 1ZZ, 2ZZ and if you wanna go backward, 7A-FE. So the RAV4 to be based on the Corolla platform is false which was the point I made in the first place.

When the term platform is mentioned, we do know for a fact engine family and tranny are common but a modifed version of the suspension and partial chassis components set it apart obviously. They are not going to be the same as we know but ther are common parts that are either shared or modified. Wheelbase is obviously a no brainer. Because Toyota has evolved chassis in the past (most modern Toyota SUV's are derivatives of their passenger car platforms) Notice the 1st Gen RAV4's chassis code was SXA10 using the S block of engines. The gen3 Camry's chassis code is SXV10 using the 5S-FE 2.2L. Even though they are not the same car, there was a common basis to derive the chassis/tranny/engine (MZ series V6) and some suspension components, as in the Highlander and RX's original basis to the Camry, MCU vs. the Camry's MCV chassis designation. MCX for the Avalon, MCL = Sienna.

Last edited by flipside909; 11-23-05 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-23-05, 06:06 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Before the truck came out there was some speculation about it being built on a modified Tacoma platform and I was just wondering if this ended up being the case since it now has optional 4WD instead of AWD.
Only the FJ Cruiser is built on a modified Tacoma chassis. Obviously the 4Runner is related as well. The only thing the new Tacoma and the RAV4 share are the GR family of engine blocks but different displacements. 1GR-FE for the Taco, 2GR-FE for the RAV4. RAV4 has always been a FWD chassis that has it's evolution and roots from the Celica/Camry platform.
Old 11-23-05, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Only the FJ Cruiser is built on a modified Tacoma chassis. .
Not to get off-topic, but when are we actually going to see the FJ, flip? Have the marketing people set a date? I've got colleagues right here at work that are interested in it not only for its retro looks but its off-road capability as well.
Old 11-23-05, 08:03 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not to get off-topic, but when are we actually going to see the FJ, flip? Have the marketing people set a date? I've got colleagues right here at work that are interested in it not only for its retro looks but its off-road capability as well.
Haha that I actually don't know. I've been so caught up with the Lexus stuff, I lost track with what's new and what's coming at Toyota.
Old 11-25-05, 11:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The first RAV4 had a 3S-FE and (GE in other markets) that was derived from the Celica. The Corolla never had a modern 2.0L I-4 to date here in the states. The largest displacement ever to be on a Corolla is the 1.8L from the 1ZZ, 2ZZ and if you wanna go backward, 7A-FE. So the RAV4 to be based on the Corolla platform is false which was the point I made in the first place.

When the term platform is mentioned, we do know for a fact engine family and tranny are common but a modifed version of the suspension and partial chassis components set it apart obviously. They are not going to be the same as we know but ther are common parts that are either shared or modified. Wheelbase is obviously a no brainer. Because Toyota has evolved chassis in the past (most modern Toyota SUV's are derivatives of their passenger car platforms) Notice the 1st Gen RAV4's chassis code was SXA10 using the S block of engines. The gen3 Camry's chassis code is SXV10 using the 5S-FE 2.2L. Even though they are not the same car, there was a common basis to derive the chassis/tranny/engine (MZ series V6) and some suspension components, as in the Highlander and RX's original basis to the Camry, MCU vs. the Camry's MCV chassis designation. MCX for the Avalon, MCL = Sienna.
heh, actual, powertrain does not have to be related to platform at all. Rav4 is also sold with ZZ series engines found in Corolla. New Camry will be sold with GR V6 engines, yet it doesnt have anything to do with GS platforms...

Thats exactly what I meant when I said people confuse Toyota platforms. Correct way to look at it would be to see if full engineering was done on the car, or does it borrow complete chasis from other car (Echo and xA for example). Toyota has some 7 or 8 different powertain groups total, yet some 60-70 vehicles.

Of course, it was all fault of GM's who gave the word platform a bad name :-)
Old 11-25-05, 12:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by spwolf
heh, actual, powertrain does not have to be related to platform at all. Rav4 is also sold with ZZ series engines found in Corolla. New Camry will be sold with GR V6 engines, yet it doesnt have anything to do with GS platforms...

Thats exactly what I meant when I said people confuse Toyota platforms. Correct way to look at it would be to see if full engineering was done on the car, or does it borrow complete chasis from other car (Echo and xA for example). Toyota has some 7 or 8 different powertain groups total, yet some 60-70 vehicles.

Of course, it was all fault of GM's who gave the word platform a bad name :-)
It's obvious the New Camry bearing the new GR Series V6's will not have the same or related platforms as the Camry is always and still will be FWD and the GS being RWD from the Crown line. I'm not confused on Toyota platforms...perhaps my interpretation in the English language is not exact as I am not an engineer by profession. Those that are informed know exactly what i'm talking about. I'm talking about relation of chassis layout and platform. Everyone knows the Sienna, Highlander, RX, and etc. are derivatives of the Camry/ES/Windom chassis. That car was the basis of the platform. The RAV4's original chassis was derived from a FWD Celica & Camry chassis/powertrain setup. Same can be said about the AW, SW or even ZZW30. Their powertrains are Corolla and Camry powertrain derivatives as it's obvious the 4A, 3S and 5S, and 1ZZ , have been shared from them. Obviously full chassis is not identical, but the basis was engine...and more so with some suspension, chassis derivative of their basis.

Here stateside the 1AZ-FE and 2AZ-FE (Camry, and Scion tC - Avensis) was utilized. The only vehicle bearing the ZZ series of motors (stateside) are the Corolla, Matrix, MR2 Spyder, Pontiac Vibe and the Lotus Elise.

Last edited by flipside909; 11-25-05 at 12:18 PM.