Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Solara got owned by Quest
Solara's just a solara, hello, wake up!
66.67%
That van got some spray..
11.11%
Time for a Miata or WRX to outhandle those mofos...
0%
Get a turbo diseal truck and do it the Texus Style!
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Something wrong with my Solara's engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 10:53 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Something wrong with my Solara's engine?

I thought the Solara V6 has the same engine as ES300, right guys?

Although ES300 isn't the fastest car and it's not designed to be, but today an old Nissan Quest managed to successfully tailgating my Solara for a good distance.

I didn't want no trouble so I got out of its way ASAP, but this still leaves me wonder if something wrong with my Solara, or is it just SLOW, PERIOD.

Last edited by tzu911; 11-22-05 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-23-05, 04:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Is your Solara a convertible? I remember when you were shopping for it and bought it but I don't recall if it was a ragtop or not. Convertibles add both weight and air resistance. Add to that the fact that the Solara, even with the V6 was designed to be more of a cruiser than a drag racer.
Also....when you bought the car did it have the oil change history documented like I mentioned at the time? The 3.0L V6 is not forgiving of slack oil change intervals like some other engines. If the oil is not changed regularly it will show symptoms of anything from premature wear to sludging up, gelling and seizing. and worn piston rings, valves, and bearings can lead to a oil consumption, loss of compression, and, of course, loss of power.

I'm not saying your engine IS worn.........it is just a possibility if it was not properly serviced, that's all.
Old 11-23-05, 05:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000gs300

Although ES300 isn't the fastest car and it's not designed to be, but today an old Nissan Quest managed to successfully tailgating my Solara for a good distance.

I didn't want no trouble so I got out of its way ASAP, but this still leaves me wonder if something wrong with my Solara, or is it just SLOW, PERIOD.
Your Solara unfortunately is slow due to the extra weight of the convertible. The Solara V6 A/T format goes 0-60 on average 8 seconds. That was actually decent for it's time but slow for today's standards. 1MZ-FE V6 is the same V6 used in previous and current model Camry, previous ES, previous Avalon, RX, Sienna, Highlander and etc. Supercharge it if you can find the remaining TRD S/C's out there.
Old 11-23-05, 05:36 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
. Supercharge it if you can find the remaining TRD S/C's out there.
LOL Awesome!!

Jonny
Old 11-23-05, 08:02 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
not exactly... paying the Lexus premium gets you a little bump in horsepower. (emphasis on the word "little")

The solara's no speed demon, but it may just need a little rejuvenation in the form of a tune-up.
Old 11-23-05, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Leets
not exactly... paying the Lexus premium gets you a little bump in horsepower. (emphasis on the word "little")

The solara's no speed demon, but it may just need a little rejuvenation in the form of a tune-up.
Tune-ups as such are LONG passe....all you need to do nowadays is change the spark plugs at anywhere from 30,000 to 100,000 mile intervals depending on plug design.
Old 11-23-05, 08:29 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Tune-ups as such are LONG passe....all you need to do nowadays is change the spark plugs at anywhere from 30,000 to 100,000 mile intervals depending on plug design.
... fuel filter, air filter, and engine flush couldn't hurt. You'd be surprised what a good engine flush could do for the sludge-prone 1mz.
Old 11-23-05, 08:58 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is your Solara a convertible? I remember when you were shopping for it and bought it but I don't recall if it was a ragtop or not. Convertibles add both weight and air resistance. Add to that the fact that the Solara, even with the V6 was designed to be more of a cruiser than a drag racer.
Also....when you bought the car did it have the oil change history documented like I mentioned at the time? The 3.0L V6 is not forgiving of slack oil change intervals like some other engines. If the oil is not changed regularly it will show symptoms of anything from premature wear to sludging up, gelling and seizing. and worn piston rings, valves, and bearings can lead to a oil consumption, loss of compression, and, of course, loss of power.

I'm not saying your engine IS worn.........it is just a possibility if it was not properly serviced, that's all.

Yes Marshall it is a convertible. I'm the kind of person that just like plug and go, but I try my best to baby my car, so I will take it to the dealership for a through check-up the soonest I can. Thanks again for your input Marshall.
Old 11-23-05, 09:04 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Your Solara unfortunately is slow due to the extra weight of the convertible. The Solara V6 A/T format goes 0-60 on average 8 seconds. That was actually decent for it's time but slow for today's standards. 1MZ-FE V6 is the same V6 used in previous and current model Camry, previous ES, previous Avalon, RX, Sienna, Highlander and etc. Supercharge it if you can find the remaining TRD S/C's out there.
I was acutally doing that, the S/C, until I met with xraverboix He schooled me that a Solara is after all..., still a Solara. I felt bad because there were some really good help from the solara forum including you man. Thank you very much Ryan.
Old 11-23-05, 09:05 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i drove my sons solara v6 a/t i managed to get 7.6 seconds 0-60 and he doesnt have any mods.
Old 11-23-05, 09:11 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
LOL Awesome!!

Jonny

I know, it was really exciting to see how inexpensive the mods were for Solara.

It's a great idea that would over-compensate my ego as long as it won't catch on fire like that AbFlug white GS
Old 11-23-05, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Leets
... fuel filter, air filter, and engine flush couldn't hurt. You'd be surprised what a good engine flush could do for the sludge-prone 1mz.
Correct.....but those are not part of a tune-up. Tune-ups cover just the ignition system.
Old 11-23-05, 11:17 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the guy in the minivann was a tailgating jerk?
Old 11-23-05, 12:03 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

I thought someone posted a thread about how quick that minivan as well as the Sienna are... ?

Anyway... don't feel bad.... your car looks better
Old 11-23-05, 12:05 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Could be the guy in the minivann was a tailgating jerk?
this is probably the best explanation

Quick Reply: Something wrong with my Solara's engine?