Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you consider lexus a status symbol

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-05, 04:00 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It doesn't matter, you're Lexus people. You're certainly smart enough to see the difference between yourself and friends V/S a thug rolling on duece duece in a 15 yr old LS slammed with spinners.

This needs no explanation.
your right OLT
Old 11-27-05, 05:34 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BMW's are for steering feel.

Mercedes and Volvo are for crash safety.

Jaguar is for looks.

Cadillac is for trendiness.

The VW Phaeton is for bargain 12-cylinder luxury.

Audi is for anti-BMW sportiness.

Bentley, Maybach, and Rolls are for those who want to excessively flaunt their wealth.

Lincoln ( Zephyr excluded ) is for the ultra-conservative and limo feaks.

Infiniti, in general, can't make up it's mind what it wants to do.
(though there are signs that is changing)

And......LEXUS is for everything else.......simply when you want the BEST of everything combined.
Where's Acura in your list? I see them as a cross between your characterization of Infiniti and Lexus... And how about Saab and Maserati?
Old 11-27-05, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
Where's Acura in your list? I see them as a cross between your characterization of Infiniti and Lexus... And how about Saab and Maserati?
I generally don't see Saabs as luxury products...for the most part, not with Acura either, except for the new RL...a luxury car by any standards. Maseratis, IMO, are sports and sports-GT cars except for the Quattroporte ( translated 4 doors ) sedan, which I know very little about except for what I've read in auto mags....so I can't really rate cars I don't know much about.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-28-05 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-27-05, 09:26 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Though, as you guys know, I am not one for stereotypes, here is probably the best and simplest way to look at today's luxury makes in general ( not specialty models like the AMG, M, or V ) and what they stand for:

BMW's are for steering feel.

Mercedes and Volvo are for crash safety.

Jaguar is for looks.

Cadillac is for trendiness.

The VW Phaeton is for bargain 12-cylinder luxury.

Audi is for anti-BMW sportiness.

Bentley, Maybach, and Rolls are for those who want to excessively flaunt their wealth.

Lincoln ( Zephyr excluded ) is for the ultra-conservative and limo feaks.

Infiniti, in general, can't make up it's mind what it wants to do.
(though there are signs that is changing)

And......LEXUS is for everything else.......simply when you want the BEST of everything combined.
I agree with you mmarshall 100%. Lexus is the luxury division of Toyota. I buy a car because of many factors and Lexus fullfills what I need and what I want from a car.

Last edited by Trexus; 11-27-05 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-28-05, 04:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Like I've said before. Lexus needs to innovate.. anything! Their current brand identity is "reliability" which is well & fine, but to become the true market leader, they need to innovate..

Lexus is a LOT more than just reliability. I grant you, they don't have the steering feel or chassis dynamics of a BMW, but nevertheless Lexus is MANY things....fit-and-finish, comfort, top-notch interior and exterior materials, a first-rate paint job, refinement, smoothness and quietness of operation, lack of squeaks and rattles, superior dealer service, a long warranty, great reale value....etc...I could go on and on.
So...just like BMW's "Ultimate Driving Machine", the Lexus slogan....." The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection " is there for a reason. It was not just put there for nothing.
Old 11-28-05, 05:18 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

I consider Lexus a status symbol yes......just as the BMW or MB are....a Luxury marque that offers many luxury features, performance, reliability, safety & high resale value to name but a few. I wanted something a little different that had to be FWD......I found all of the above in my 2001 ES 300........would I buy another Lexus? You Betcha!
Old 11-28-05, 06:01 AM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

I agree!!
Old 11-28-05, 11:47 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=genearch]
4. Lexus owners copy MB with the turn signal mirrors and BMW with the "angel eyes". Why? because they are cool features and Lexus has not stepped up and created any similar trend.

What about altezza lights and led gauges plus the inner trunk lights from the 1IS and the 2GS. Loys of people copy lexus. Honda has copied there key and gauges for the accord. And whenever someone says a car is quiet they say its lexus like. So lexus is a status symbol any expensive car will say you have arrived Lexus sas ou have arrived but still know the value of money.
Old 11-28-05, 02:26 PM
LexFather

I know you hear my footsteps

Old 11-28-05, 02:43 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I know you hear my footsteps
That was a short vacation!!!!
Old 11-28-05, 04:59 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=MSMLexIS]
Originally Posted by genearch
4. Lexus owners copy MB with the turn signal mirrors and BMW with the "angel eyes". Why? because they are cool features and Lexus has not stepped up and created any similar trend.
Do you have any pics of Lexus cars with turn signal mirrors or angel eye headlights? I only ask because I have NEVER seen these mods on any Lexus. And personally I don't think they are cool features but only pathetic attempts to come up with something, ANYTHING to distract the buying public from the fact that their vehicles are inferior and not worth the premium.
Old 11-28-05, 05:39 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Yea I can consider Lexus as a status symbol. Obviously many will agree and disagree with this. When I drove the Lex back at home, people would definitely notice. When I told people that I have a Lex, people would also comment on it, or even become wide eyed in disbelief that I can afford such a car, when the model I have is not that expensive and rather obtainable by most. This further lets me know how much status the Lexus name holds. For comparison, my best friend has an Acura TL. When he says I have an Acura, he usually gets, "oh those are nice cars", which indeed they are(especally the new TL), but a lot of folks arent that impressed(from my experiences obviously).

Lets not forget how Lexus is used in entertainment business as well (music videos, songs, and movies). This as well has helped Lexus' status greatly in the states, but if we were talking about Lexus as a status symbol in Europe, then it probably would be a little different(Richie would know more aobut that. )

Now I kinda dont care what people think about my car, but it is what it is. Many people do look up to Lexus owners and to the averge joe, its percieved as a high class car.

But if you really want to make a scene, then exotics like Lambo, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, RR and others are the way to go. Those cars are in a class of there own.
Old 11-28-05, 09:07 PM
LexFather

I want people to READ and ABSORB this, as I was browsing and could not believe some of this thread.

Let me add some Lexus sanity to this thread.
First off, Lexus is a status symbol. To argue otherwise, either
1. Your Bill Gates (whoops, he does proclaim the SC 400 is his favorite car) or are a multi-millionaire where you are driven by chauffers and you don't drive.
2. You have been asleep in a coma the last 15 years.

Darlings, lets get to some numbers here.
In America, there are maybe 14-16 million vehicles sold a year. Just America. Lexus, even as the top selling luxury brand, only sells 300,000 cars a year here. So that is gulp, 2% of the total cars made a year.

That is right, 2% of new cars sold are a Lexus.

Now lets just add all luxury car makers. BMW and Benz more importantly, since some seem to think they are God's gift to earth. They sell over 220,000 cars a year. Lets add the other luxury makes and near luxury makes and the luxury market accounts for MAYBE 8-9% of total sales of ALL cars sold in America.

So going by numbers alone, looks like a status symbol to me. As part of status is rarity. Not BAD rarity, like your car is RARE b/c it doesn't sell, its not in demand.

So Benz, BMW, Lexus, all score here.

Old 11-28-05, 09:13 PM
LexFather

Now, lets get to BMW and Benz. How we love to call Lexus still to this day, "just nice Toyotas".

Well my dear friends, we have at least been fortunate enough not to see a 4-cylinder Lexus yet. Unlike BMWs and Benzs previously and currently. My how a C230 hatchback must be a status symbol! That 1-series sold in Europe, YES, a status symbol .

You see, so many are blinded by the fact, we MOSTLY ARE SOLD the TOP BMW and BENZ cars.

Ladies and Gents, you can get in Europe a
6 cylinder S and SL class.
4 cylinder Z4
A 159hp 520! (I scanned the pics recently)
A 6 cylinder 6 series.
1 series in all its glory (hey, I actually like the damn car though)
4 cylinder 3 series are available like sand on a beach.

Lexus, while faces challenges in Europe, pretty much sells the same engine choices we have here. So, yes, if they wanted sales in Europe, they could go the BMW/Benz route and offer a 4 cylinder 150hp engine. They would SELL like hotcakes (due to Europes different laws concerning fuel, insurance etc etc)

But ladies and gents, there is nothing STATUS like about owning a 4 cylinder luxury car. PERIOD.

Lets not forget the TAXICAB of choice in Euope, the E-class!

Old 11-28-05, 09:17 PM
LexFather

UNDERSTAND THIS IS IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM A BASH AGAINST BENZ OR BMW I would be a nut to say, Lexus is as prestigous as those brands. In America, its up there but not quite to those Levels. Lexus has to OFFER more and more and THANK THE LEXUS GODs they continue to price upward and go UP in class instead of rebadging every Toyota in sight and calling them Lexus.

BMW and Benz totally own Lexus with
AMG
M
Special Editions
Factory Options Lexus hasn't even thought up yet
V12 engines
V-10 engines
Turbos and SUperchargers
As well as offering a wide variety of cars and choices.

Lexus is not close to those items listed above. Not to mention, Mercedes is still the NAME RAPPERS ARE MOST LIKELY TO RAP ABOUT
Lexus though, in polls, in 2nd

Quick Reply: Would you consider lexus a status symbol