Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you consider lexus a status symbol

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-05, 02:15 PM
n2siast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you consider lexus a status symbol

Fellow board member in response to a thread says "if you were driving a car that people buy for status, like a Mhercedes or a BMW. "

I ask this because I feel Lexus is as much a status symbol as our german brethens; If not most will be driving a camry or avalon. I own all three of these marques and purchased each based on its own merits.

Do you guys feel that the german marquees are on a different league than our beloved lexus?
Old 11-25-05, 04:41 PM
jsmithjr
Driver School Candidate

Yes, but only because of their long heritage. I also think part of this has to do with the Toyota --> Lexus similarities.

However, just as Cadillac has lost its prestige as THE luxury car in America, I can see Mercedes slowly following.
Old 11-25-05, 04:41 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LS400/430 has already reached there, well at least IMO. You normally don't see the young average Joe driving an LS.
Old 11-25-05, 05:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LS = status symbol big time. Lexus in general shows 'you've made it' and I predict with the new L-finessed designs, GS, IS, LS...Lexus will increase in status even more.
Old 11-25-05, 10:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. Lexus is becoming the new auto status symbol.

Although Lexus does not have the performance of a BMW, or the heritage of MB, it does encompass the pinnacle of luxury, comfort, and safety. Lexus provides luxury amenities for the driver and passengers that surpasses other car makers, and at a great value. Lexus has one of the most comfortable rides out there with a quiet and smooth refined drive. Safety is #1 for Lexus; in fact, they have compromised performance to be the safest cars out there. Why would Lexus add VDIM or VSC to almost all their cars? It's because they know that anyone can have and create performance, but they will always trump them with safety.

It I had to use an analogy, I would compare them to wine. Yes, BMW and MB are like fine aged wine; many rely on a history and fine aging of a trusted Bordeaux to create a wonderful bottle. However, once in a while, you want a young rich robust Californian Cab to show them that, sometimes, change is good...
Old 11-26-05, 04:55 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you really want an answer to that question, visit your local dealership, and sit in a black on black '06 ultra LS400, the answer will be clear. Most of us seem to compare our pre-owned cars to the newest offerings of BMW, and Mercedes, so we dont consider Lexus to be up there. But year for year, i think they are very close.
Old 11-26-05, 05:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Though, as you guys know, I am not one for stereotypes, here is probably the best and simplest way to look at today's luxury makes in general ( not specialty models like the AMG, M, or V ) and what they stand for:

BMW's are for steering feel.

Mercedes and Volvo are for crash safety.

Jaguar is for looks.

Cadillac is for trendiness.

The VW Phaeton is for bargain 12-cylinder luxury.

Audi is for anti-BMW sportiness.

Bentley, Maybach, and Rolls are for those who want to excessively flaunt their wealth.

Lincoln ( Zephyr excluded ) is for the ultra-conservative and limo feaks.

Infiniti, in general, can't make up it's mind what it wants to do.
(though there are signs that is changing)

And......LEXUS is for everything else.......simply when you want the BEST of everything combined.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-05 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-26-05, 10:15 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And......LEXUS is for everything else.......simply when you want the BEST of everything combined.
Well put.
Old 11-26-05, 10:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, to me Lexus is not just a status symbol, it's also my way of saying FU to the *****.
Old 11-26-05, 11:38 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I say no. I also say no to benz and bmw for being status symbols. Firstly, I hate making judgements based on a thing. I know people do it but I resist such notions. Anyone can buy one of these cars. With a little planning and saving or simply buying used. Nothing that increases your status in that...just means you're a smart shopper. If status has to be related to an automobile...I'll place it with a car not so easily obtained. When you're driving a Ferrari, Lambo or Bently, you're doing something. I know there are benzes that cost over 100K but they look too much like the ones that cost way less.
Old 11-26-05, 12:01 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I beleive lexus is a slighty different type of status symbol. Its kind of like buying a watch everyone says Rolex is the best but a Mavado can do everything a Rolex can plus its cheaper and lasts much longer. This is just like comparing Lexus to Mercedes.
Old 11-26-05, 12:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well, to me Lexus is not just a status symbol, it's also my way of saying FU to the *****.
So you say FU to the ***** by buying a car from their allies?

Come on, chief.....World War II was finished over 60 years ago. This is the 21st century. Buy....and drive.....what you want and can afford.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-05 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-26-05, 01:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Yeah, there are also Asian people that still won't buy Japanese because of the atrocities they' ve committed in Asia during WW II . . .
Old 11-26-05, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes....I understand that, but if everyone took that view, the auto industry ( and many other industries as well ) couldn't function.

I, for one, don't believe in mixing politics and nationalism with one's choice of autos.....I've stated that many times. And besides....the whole industry today is global. Pick almost any new vehicle in the world for sale and you will find different components on it from different source countries.
Old 11-26-05, 04:15 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes....I understand that, but if everyone took that view, the auto industry ( and many other industries as well ) couldn't function.

I, for one, don't believe in mixing politics and nationalism with one's choice of autos.....I've stated that many times. And besides....the whole industry today is global. Pick almost any new vehicle in the world for sale and you will find different components on it from different source countries.
I agree with mmarshall all the way...foreign exchange is a sign of the times. If anyone really wanted to be concerned, be concerned about the number of foreign nationals who now own property in the US. Lots of property. WHat are they gonna do. Own millions in property then blow it up? Naw. They're just gonna raise the cost of living every chance they get. That's another subject, though.

Quick Reply: Would you consider lexus a status symbol