Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

running cars on vegetable oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-05, 08:31 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts
Default running cars on vegetable oil?

i was watching NY1 this morning and they featured a woman with a VW and a guy with a MB both cars were diesel and they bought some kind of conversion kit that would allow the car to run on vegetable oil once it was heated up. they say that gas mileage was unchanged but that there was less power. has abnyone else heard of this?
Old 11-28-05, 09:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen this technology over 10 years ago. I think it didn't fly because people lost sooo much power. Also, you think a gallon of vegetable oil is about $2, which is near the cost of a gallon of gas. Why change now?
Old 11-28-05, 10:23 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I've heard of it and it's becoming much more prevelant right now!

The benefit is that you do not need to use new oil. Users are taking the watse oil from fast food restaurants and using that!

Also, about 3 months ago on the TV show "Trucks!", the host showed a unit you can buy for your garage that you put all types of waste oil into (vegetable, motor, etc.). The devise does something to it (I have no idea as I walked in on the end of the segment), and it is used in place of diesel. He filled up one of his trucks with it and was doing burnouts left and right. No loss of power!

Here's the link to the company that manufacturs the machine.

http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/
Old 11-28-05, 11:09 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saab has a new model for sale in Europe with a turbo engine that can run on gas or veg. oil, the interesting part is that it makes more HP with veg oil
Old 11-28-05, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes....running diesel engines on vegtable, or cooking, oil has been done many times in test environments. I'm not enough of a lawyer, though, to know if it can be done legally on a public road. All 50 states and the Federal Government collect taxes on fuels that are sold at a pump and used on public roads. The use of a motor vehicle on these public roads without paying fuel taxes MAY be illegal and a form of tax evasion....as I said, I'm not a lawyer here. One thing, though, is interesting.....hybrids, though, already have Federal tax credits and exemptions. Could diesels be next? And the cooking oil used to run these diesels in the test environment has also been taxed......in the sales taxes you pay at the supermarket or distributor when you but it..

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-28-05 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-28-05, 11:50 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes....running diesel engines on vegtable, or cooking, oil has been done many times in test environments. I'm not enough of a lawyer, though, to know if it can be done legally on a public road. All 50 states and the Federal Government collect taxes on fuels that are sold at a pump and used on public roads. The use of a motor vehicle on these public roads without paying fuel taxes MAY be illegal and a form of tax evasion....as I said, I'm not a lawyer here. One thing, though, is interesting.....hybrids, though, already have Federal tax credits and exemptions. Could diesels be next? And the cooking oil used to run these diesels in the test environment has also been taxed......in the sales taxes you pay at the supermarket or distributor when you but it..
well i guess its legal b/c the woman with the VW was one of those envoirmental types and they gave her website i just didnt catch it
Old 11-28-05, 01:36 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems like chicken fat will get you across the road fast